Christian losing their lives and losing their souls

hawglips

Banned
our faith is stagnant and stale. We don't cling desperately to god. We cling to other things: Our jobs, our relationships, our ambitions, our friends, our hobbies, our phones, our pets. We don't even think of him most of the time. We make no attempt to conform our lives to his commandments or to walk the narrow path that christ forged for us. We are too busy for all that, we say, and it's inconvenient. Christ says, "pick up your cross and follow," but we take this as an optional suggestion. We leave our crosses on the side of the road and head back inside where it's warm and there's a new netflix show to binge. We tell ourselves that we'll be fine in the end because we are decent people, and we are leading normal lives, and, sure, we believe in jesus or whatever.

And satan laughs.

:( :(

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
What a stinging indictment of the church in America.

I have some friends in India that pastor there. They are native to India. It is becoming more and more dangerous for them to mention Jesus or try to teach in their own private schools. India is a country that has a freedom of religion clause in their constitution, but the BJP and other radical groups kill pastors there on a regular basis for speaking out. Here we can't get a group together to even pray for them.

God help us.

gordon 2

I have always wondered why sudden, periodic and deemed essential revivals by religious folks was a feature of US history.

What put the icing on the cake for me were the ideas of Ellen White concerning the great apostasies ( in Judeo-Christian history) in her famous book The Great Controversy and how the ideas within influenced protestant denominations. The whole worry is common to bible believers especially, because the problems of society stem from a falling away by not feeding on scripture!

What you two lament here, was more robustly explored in her book written in 1858. In society with this view, that the children of reformers were always bound to "idol away" to the point of feeding on pagan foods has shored up concerns for social morality, steamed up the evangelical trains and fired up politics left and right I do believe.

So the more it changes the more it is the same-- if the pattern continues.

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

That article in the OP sounds more like a rant to let off steam than a serious attempt to document or analyze the problem of Americans not feeling strong brotherhood with Christians in the Middle East, being murdered by the Muslims.

At one particular prayer vigil, only a few people showed up. The church wanted hundreds. Well, so what? How was this prayer vigil promoted and communicated to the congregation? Was this a joint effort among several churches? (Maybe it should have been). What was the weather like that weekend? Snow or ice, with a travel advisory maybe? I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from one poorly-attended prayer session.

I agree in general terms that in America, we're soft and lazy. Far more people are nominal Christians than true followers of Christ's teachings in the New Testament.

As they say, Christianity in America is 3000 miles wide, but only 3 inches deep.

QUOTE:

"57 percent of evangelical church attenders said they believe many religions can lead to eternal life, in conflict with traditional evangelical teaching.

In all, 70 percent of Americans with a religious affiliation shared that view, and 68 percent said there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their own religion.

“The survey shows religion in America is, indeed, 3,000 miles wide and only three inches deep,” said D. Michael Lindsay, a Rice University sociologist of religion.
"

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists...nd-three-inches-deep.html#Wm4vwQP8mSqbUub3.99

gordon 2

That article in the OP sounds more like a rant to let off steam than a serious attempt to document or analyze the problem of Americans not feeling strong brotherhood with Christians in the Middle East, being murdered by the Muslims.

At one particular prayer vigil, only a few people showed up. The church wanted hundreds. Well, so what? How was this prayer vigil promoted and communicated to the congregation? Was this a joint effort among several churches? (Maybe it should have been). What was the weather like that weekend? Snow or ice, with a travel advisory maybe? I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from one poorly-attended prayer session.

I agree in general terms that in America, we're soft and lazy. Far more people are nominal Christians than true followers of Christ's teachings in the New Testament.

As they say, Christianity in America is 3000 miles wide, but only 3 inches deep.

QUOTE:

"57 percent of evangelical church attenders said they believe many religions can lead to eternal life, in conflict with traditional evangelical teaching.

In all, 70 percent of Americans with a religious affiliation shared that view, and 68 percent said there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of their own religion.

“The survey shows religion in America is, indeed, 3,000 miles wide and only three inches deep,” said D. Michael Lindsay, a Rice University sociologist of religion.
"

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists...nd-three-inches-deep.html#Wm4vwQP8mSqbUub3.99

Wow, that is a skimpy barometer to measure dept, in my view...

Simply line up believers as to what they believe about day to day social issues against the Golden Rule seems to me a far more robust gauge of dept.

Last edited: