New leather, fresh off the bench

Capt Quirk

Been making friends at the local Hunting Store, and been making a lot of leather for them. The Boss decided he needed a new belt, and asked if I knew what the difference between a belt, and a gun belt was.

2 layers of 6-7 oz leather, fully bonded and stitched. 6-7 oz tongue and buckle straps, done Ranger style.
belt-front.gif

buckle-back.gif

belt-side.gif

belt-back.gif

Next, is a holster I did for myself. Just got a new ZTE3 Stupid phone, and wanted it out of my pocket.
phone-holster-p.gif

Phone-holster-back.gif

Grub Master

They look great. How many hours did it take to make the belt?

Capt Quirk

Actual work, including hand stitching 4' of belt, maybe 12 hours. Doing the math, working out a design... a lot longer. I asked what he wanted on the belt, he said "Anything". So, I thought about putting "Anything" where the name is ;)

Tigweldr

Great looking belt there Capt. !

Hand stitching belts is a chore for sure. Thus the reason I bought a machine.

Capt Quirk

I know it would be faster and easier to machine sew, but they are expensive. At least out of my comfort zone. And, machines bring a whole nother list of technicalities and hazards.

Rick Alexander

Do you do commissions?

I wear an insulin pump and do a lot of hunting, gardening, and woodworking which means I'm pretty rough on my pump. I tried to get an outfit in Pigeon Forge to make me a leather holder that would completely cover my pump to protect it and even showed them one that use to be a phone case that came close to what I wanted. My old phone case style is about to wear completely out (won't stay shut - won't stay on my belt very good) so I was looking for a replacement. What I got was what looked like something a cub scout made while trying to earn a leather working merit badge. Didn't remotely look like I showed them as a model.

Feller could probably make a good living making really good quality cases for these things. They cost north of 5 grand new and the cases for them are pathetic and don't protect the pump face at all. Heck I'd be happy if you could just repair the phone case I've got now - can't seem to find anything close to it any more because everybody has those smart phones now and I think this was a flip phone case. After losing my pump riding my 4 wheeler at deer camp and having to do a frantic search for it I figure I've got to do something to make this thing more safe.

Capt Quirk

I wear an insulin pump and do a lot of hunting, gardening, and woodworking which means I'm pretty rough on my pump. I tried to get an outfit in Pigeon Forge to make me a leather holder that would completely cover my pump to protect it and even showed them one that use to be a phone case that came close to what I wanted. My old phone case style is about to wear completely out (won't stay shut - won't stay on my belt very good) so I was looking for a replacement. What I got was what looked like something a cub scout made while trying to earn a leather working merit badge. Didn't remotely look like I showed them as a model.

Feller could probably make a good living making really good quality cases for these things. They cost north of 5 grand new and the cases for them are pathetic and don't protect the pump face at all. Heck I'd be happy if you could just repair the phone case I've got now - can't seem to find anything close to it any more because everybody has those smart phones now and I think this was a flip phone case. After losing my pump riding my 4 wheeler at deer camp and having to do a frantic search for it I figure I've got to do something to make this thing more safe.

If I had one to work with, or at least good measurements, I would gladly give it a go.

Rivershot

If I had one to work with, or at least good measurements, I would gladly give it a go.

I'm sure you could, maybe he could make a model of it out of foam board or styrofoam packing.

T-N-T

I'm sure you could, maybe he could make a model of it out of foam board or styrofoam packing.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe cut down a 2x4 to size even.

That's a fancy phone case! Looks good.

Capt Quirk

Or, there was a fella here with a 3D printer, wanting to do stuff. I am just totally unfamiliar with those pump units. Just when you get used to one unit, they make new ones that are totally different.