St. Mary's - Saturday, Feb 24

brriner

After trying to convince my fishing partner we needed to fish up river from the reports and information I'd been given, he was still adamant that we go to the jetties. On the water at 8:00-ish after our 100 mile ride to the ramp. It was smooth going out in the Carolina Skiff and we made it to the jetties by 8:30 or so without getting too wet.

It took nearly an hour to boat the first fish as we'd gotten there right at the end of the falling tide. First fish was a decent red, followed by one of the biggest whiting I've ever seen. As we followed the tide in, we kept catching and it turned out to be a great day for reds, but not a single trout.

Final count was 16 reds, we kept our limit and released the rest, 1 black drum, 1 sheepshead, and 3 big whiting.

All fish were caught on live shrimp as the bait man didn't have any mud minnows. We tried some artificials throughout the day but no takers. I did put on a Gulp shrimp and jig head under a Cajun Thunder about the time we were getting ready to leave and proceeded to break the line on hook set when a fish took it.

Back at home with the fish and boat cleaned by 5:00.

Can't wait for the next time!

Last edited:

Scallen

Thanks, Brriner. I have been concentrating up the creeks and rivers. It's good to know things are starting to heat up in the bigger water. Sounds like it's time to dust the big boat off and go check it out.