The Future of Georgia Deer Hunting

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
But what you're saying is no different then the peasant that eats a loaf of bread while the king eats a steak. Of course you can hunt WMA's if you don't care that you don't see game way more than you do see game or have to share it with 1000 other people at the same time, many of those times they are ruining your setup by hunting near you or walking through your setup, but if you want a quality experience and a chance at better deer, you're going to have to pay.....just like the king.

There is a bunch of public land out there with excellent hunting, if you make the effort to find it. If you're on a club, you're having to share the game with others, too-and put up with a bunch of politics and bickering nine times out of ten. Hunting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it.

shdw633

There is a bunch of public land out there with excellent hunting, if you make the effort to find it. If you're on a club, you're having to share the game with others, too-and put up with a bunch of politics and bickering nine times out of ten. Hunting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want to make it.

Do you hunt or have you been a member on leases?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I have hunted on leases enough to know that I am not a "deer club" guy. I don't care much for it, unless it was me leasing land myself for myself and a couple close friends to hunt on.

oldfella1962

I don't mean to sound like a muckraker but do you ever stop and look at the prices of hunting dues and just think, man, one day deer hunting is gonna be a rich man's sport? I might be alone when I say this but does it not seem that every year it gets a little more expensive and a tiny bit harder to do? I don't think it will be too terribly long until WMAs will be bursting at the seems with people and the only people hunting private land are the ones with connections. Its a bleak look into the future, that I know but everything looks bleak these days. :huh:

that's how much of Europe is now, and has been for many years. It's an "exclusive" sport versus "inclusive." :(

shdw633

Yes, I have hunted on leases enough to know that I am not a "deer club" guy. I don't care much for it, unless it was me leasing land myself for myself and a couple close friends to hunt on.

Well that is the way I am on public land hunting. Don't care for it and think there are too many that don't know what they are doing out there to make it enjoyable for others. Now if you look at pricing going higher and higher where only the rich will be able to afford the leases they enjoy, one of two things will happen, either they will leave the sport or your public land hunting will become so packed with people that they will leave because of terrible hunting, either way is not good for the sport.

swamp hunter

Not ALL Leases are slam full of hunters and Drama.
Mine is Huge , over 400 members , and the only time I see other folks is around Noon when everybody's driving around with the Semi Auto hanging out the drivers window...just in case.
They Visit bout then , Ride the roads is a mid day Social .
10 years now and never a problem

Dirtroad Johnson

Not ALL Leases are slam full of hunters and Drama.
Mine is Huge , over 400 members , and the only time I see other folks is around Noon when everybody's driving around with the Semi Auto hanging out the drivers window...just in case.
They Visit bout then , Ride the roads is a mid day Social .
10 years now and never a problem

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

crasm1

Eventually all the florida hunters will out price the georgia guys and we can change some laws to kill more bucks and does!

Possum

Banned
Well that is the way I am on public land hunting. Don't care for it and think there are too many that don't know what they are doing out there to make it enjoyable for others. Now if you look at pricing going higher and higher where only the rich will be able to afford the leases they enjoy, one of two things will happen, either they will leave the sport or your public land hunting will become so packed with people that they will leave because of terrible hunting, either way is not good for the sport.

I Never see other hunters on national forest and I hunt it a lot. Will I see deer every time I go, no. Will I kill a Boone and Crockett, no. But it doesn’t cost a dime. I was in a club a few years ago that cost $500 a year. I did see deer almost every weekend and I never ran into any other memeber in the woods. I think it’s so expensive for you because you MUST hunt where there are lots of big deer. If lots of big bucks are not important, a Georgia hunter can hunt plenty of places for no more than the cost of his license and gas. That’s how it’s been my whole life and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Mako22

BANNED
You got to pay to play. I'm low income with a large family BUT I do odd jobs 9 months out of the year and put it in an envelope to pay my $1200 dues. In truth it only takes me about 3-4 months to get the dues put back. Every January I start working extra to get my membership paid up by April. $20 here, $40 there and it doesnt take long to get to $1200. BTW I don't even use my tax return to do it either.

shdw633

I Never see other hunters on national forest and I hunt it a lot. Will I see deer every time I go, no. Will I kill a Boone and Crockett, no. But it doesn’t cost a dime. I was in a club a few years ago that cost $500 a year. I did see deer almost every weekend and I never ran into any other memeber in the woods. I think it’s so expensive for you because you MUST hunt where there are lots of big deer. If lots of big bucks are not important, a Georgia hunter can hunt plenty of places for no more than the cost of his license and gas. That’s how it’s been my whole life and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Then you need to observe the lack of young hunters in the woods. Young hunters aren't getting into the sport and that's not me just talking, that's a fact. Bows at nearly a grand now, arrows, broadheads, release, ammo at $30 plus a box, camo, stands, etc, etc. Young hunters see that and then sit in a woods for hours on end as see nothing or does and spikes because quality leases run $1500 and up. So they get out or don't get in at all. Cheaper to buy a hunting game as play it from home.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Life is full of choices, people waste money on alot of things, cut out spending on stupid things and save money to get into a club or knuckle down and buy your own land (like I did) and always have a place to hunt.

Whining on the internet doesn't accomplish anything.

Possum

Banned
Then you need to observe the lack of young hunters in the woods. Young hunters aren't getting into the sport and that's not me just talking, that's a fact. Bows at nearly a grand now, arrows, broadheads, release, ammo at $30 plus a box, camo, stands, etc, etc. Young hunters see that and then sit in a woods for hours on end as see nothing or does and spikes because quality leases run $1500 and up. So they get out or don't get in at all. Cheaper to buy a hunting game as play it from home.

Young kids may not be hunting but it’s not because they can’t afford it. Look at the trucks they drive. They will drop $900 on a new iPhone $300 on their sunglasses. if a kid wants to hunt he will hunt. It’s not a rich man’s sport. Never has been, never will be.

shdw633

Young kids may not be hunting but it’s not because they can’t afford it. Look at the trucks they drive. They will drop $900 on a new iPhone $300 on their sunglasses. if a kid wants to hunt he will hunt. It’s not a rich man’s sport. Never has been, never will be.

It's exactly the reason. One day you'll pull your head out of the sand and wonder why you don't have anyone to go hunting with any longer and it will be due to the fact that the people you hunt with now are all dead due to their age and no one hunts anymore because they can't afford it and because it's a tremendous waste of time on crowded, unproductive, public land.

Possum

Banned
It's exactly the reason. One day you'll pull your head out of the sand and wonder why you don't have anyone to go hunting with any longer and it will be due to the fact that the people you hunt with now are all dead due to their age and no one hunts anymore because they can't afford it and because it's a tremendous waste of time on crowded, unproductive, public land.

I grew up like a lot of guys hunting mostly public land and we loved it, still do. It’s your (wrong) opinion that it’s a waste of time. Your hunting standards are higher than most. Most of us just want to have a good time and are ok not killing a monster every season. I’m sorry you have trouble affording your quality land. Maybe one day you’ll win the lotto?

shdw633

I grew up like a lot of guys hunting mostly public land and we loved it, still do. It’s your (wrong) opinion that it’s a waste of time. Your hunting standards are higher than most. Most of us just want to have a good time and are ok not killing a monster every season. I’m sorry you have trouble affording your quality land. Maybe one day you’ll win the lotto?

I don't have an issue with money or my lease, I hunt 3 to four states per year, I never stated I did have an issue. I simply responded to the OP in regards to hunting pricing itself out of the market and how I agree with it, especially for younger hunters. I stated that it can price itself out of the market as I feel that diesel trucks and bass fishing has, both of which I have owned in the past but would not buy again, not due to the inability to afford it but because I don't feel the value for what you pay is worth it any longer. I think you're missing the point of the OP's statement as it's not about whether you can afford to hunt or not, it's a matter of whether it's worth the money to do it any longer and I am simply stating that the numbers bear out that hunters are leaving faster then they are joining our ranks and I believe part of that is due to the cost of hunting. You're still a young'un that hasn't seen hunting evolve over the last 50 years and in many different areas over that time as I have. From a time that you could go out on a friend or local farmers land and hunt the brown rat that was eating the neighbors fields for free to how it is today. Just 20 years ago property in Georgia was just known as deer leases, then landowners realized they could say trophy managed and QDM and get more money for the property and that started the escalation of lease prices. Again, I never said I couldn't afford them, I am just stating that there is a price in which the value is not there in which to continue to do it and I think young people are already at that price which is reflective on why the numbers of hunters is going down in this country and the average age of a hunter is going up. In 2010 there was over 19.25 million hunters in the US, in 2017 that number was around 16.5 to 16.9 million, losing nearly 2.5 to 3 million hunters in just 7 years.

I also never said hunting public land was a waste of time either, I simply stated they are not a similar experience to private land or leases and do not necessarily give a hunter his best opportunity to have the success he may be looking for as not everyone wants to just kill a doe or small buck and I am not saying that killing a big buck is not possible on public land, just not as likely, especially for new and inexperienced hunters in today's world. So you keep hunting your public land and maybe someday you might be able to work up enough money to afford one of those high dollar leases like I'm on and get to experience it for yourself to see what I am talking about....or maybe you'll hit the lottery. :cheers:

Possum

Banned
I don't have an issue with money or my lease, I hunt 3 to four states per year, I never stated I did have an issue. I simply responded to the OP in regards to hunting pricing itself out of the market and how I agree with it, especially for younger hunters. I stated that it can price itself out of the market as I feel that diesel trucks and bass fishing has, both of which I have owned in the past but would not buy again, not due to the inability to afford it but because I don't feel the value for what you pay is worth it any longer. I think you're missing the point of the OP's statement as it's not about whether you can afford to hunt or not, it's a matter of whether it's worth the money to do it any longer and I am simply stating that the numbers bear out that hunters are leaving faster then they are joining our ranks and I believe part of that is due to the cost of hunting. You're still a young'un that hasn't seen hunting evolve over the last 50 years and in many different areas over that time as I have. From a time that you could go out on a friend or local farmers land and hunt the brown rat that was eating the neighbors fields for free to how it is today. Just 20 years ago property in Georgia was just known as deer leases, then landowners realized they could say trophy managed and QDM and get more money for the property and that started the escalation of lease prices. Again, I never said I couldn't afford them, I am just stating that there is a price in which the value is not there in which to continue to do it and I think young people are already at that price which is reflective on why the numbers of hunters is going down in this country and the average age of a hunter is going up. In 2010 there was over 19.25 million hunters in the US, in 2017 that number was around 16.5 to 16.9 million, losing nearly 2.5 to 3 million hunters in just 7 years.

I also never said hunting public land was a waste of time either, I simply stated they are not a similar experience to private land or leases and do not necessarily give a hunter his best opportunity to have the success he may be looking for as not everyone wants to just kill a doe or small buck and I am not saying that killing a big buck is not possible on public land, just not as likely, especially for new and inexperienced hunters in today's world. So you keep hunting your public land and maybe someday you might be able to work up enough money to afford one of those high dollar leases like I'm on and get to experience it for yourself to see what I am talking about....or maybe you'll hit the lottery. :cheers:

You actually did say hunting public was a waste of time... actually you said “tremendous waste of time” read your last post before this one.

And I don’t need to win the lotto, I bought 100 acres a couple years ago and I hunt it a good bit in addition to the 30,000 acres of national forest out my back door.

I just don’t understand the complaining about cost increasing. Did you think it would stay the same as it was 50 years ago when you got into it?

Yeah you could pay $3000 for your rifle set up, or you could buy a decent rifle at acadamy for $230. Yeah you could buy a $15,000 utv. Or you could buy a 250cc 2wd four wheeler for $4500. Yeah you could drop $300 on a under armor outfit, or you could buy camo coveralls at Walmart for $60.

You decide how much you want to spend on your hunting and that’s how it’s always been

shdw633

You actually did say hunting public was a waste of time... actually you said “tremendous waste of time” read your last post before this one.

And I don’t need to win the lotto, I bought 100 acres a couple years ago and I hunt it a good bit in addition to the 30,000 acres of national forest out my back door.

I just don’t understand the complaining about cost increasing. Did you think it would stay the same as it was 50 years ago when you got into it?

Yeah you could pay $3000 for your rifle set up, or you could buy a decent rifle at acadamy for $230. Yeah you could buy a $15,000 utv. Or you could buy a 250cc 2wd four wheeler for $4500. Yeah you could drop $300 on a under armor outfit, or you could buy camo coveralls at Walmart for $60.

You decide how much you want to spend on your hunting and that’s how it’s always been

You need to learn reading comprehension. I stated in that previous post that "ONE DAY" YOU ARE GOING TO WAKE UP and no one hunts any longer because of the cost and because public land hunting will be a tremendous waste of time due to the overcrowding because no one can afford the leases any longer......FUTURE ....FUTURE...not now. PLUS read the original post... no where on there is anyone complaining about what they pay, they are stating that the sport is becoming a rich mans game and it is, unless like I stated earlier you want to just eat the loaf of bread while the kings eats steak, i.e sure you can hunt for allot less but that's because that's what you get....ALLOT LESS. No one is complaining about what they pay or are paying, they are just saying that it's seems to be rising exponentially and will price allot of people out of the market going forward if it continues... and the numbers bear that out as we are losing hundreds of thousands of hunters per year and not gaining any. For crying out loud why do you think you have all the Florida hunters going to Georgia to hunt??? You think they like driving 5 to 8 hours to go hunting every weekend and paying over $300 a year for a license....NO!! They do it because they don't want to pay $5000 to $10,000 for a lease membership down here. Got to be nice to say you don't understand all the complaining about prices going up while you're sitting on 100 acres of land that backs to 30,000 acres of national forest, wonder how you would feel if you didn't have that....like the majority of hunters out there. That's like having 1,000 acres that you own and hunt by yourself but then saying that you don't understand why everyone is complaining that their leases have too many members on them, you won't understand because you don't have to deal with it. You stated you bought the 100 acres a couple of years ago, why did you buy it if you don't mind me asking?

Possum

Banned
I don’t need to explain to you why I bought land. And I’m not going to argue about it anymore. You are right about one thing, not everybody can live on land that borders national forest, BUT, anybody that wants to can hunt it, FOR FREE. I’ll go back to my original point and then I’m done. It’s only expensive for those that want it to be. People like you who choose to pay for “overpriced” leases because they want to hunt “quality” bucks. Good night

shdw633

I don’t need to explain to you why I bought land.

You don't need to.....but your silence is deafening. Good night.:cheers::yawn: