Flats vs drummies ? Age old battle.....which way to go?

Dub

Not an issue with family as they scarf down whatever I put on the table (I know, right......I'm lucky).

Knocked the tips off this batch to simplify things.

Fired up some coals with a Moonpie-approved method that always works as expected.

Loaded down the grill with voting ballots.

Last edited:

ryork

Man those look great! I really don't have a preference flats vs drummettes. Can scarf down equal amounts of each!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Those look great! What sauce/glaze did you put on those? I like flats and drumettes both, I don't discriminate, and I usually leave them attached to each other like you did there. :)

Dub

Those look great! What sauce/glaze did you put on those? I like flats and drumettes both, I don't discriminate, and I usually leave them attached to each other like you did there. :)

Thanks !!!

Directly over the coals....(heaps easier to go offset, though)

Once skin started to darken and look close I hit it again with teriyaki sauce & a bit more shicken rub.

When things started lookin serious.....then the same sauce from werk cook was employed. It's got a nice tangy flavor that appeals to many and isn't overly enthused in any single direction.....but bbq-balanced.

Last edited:

naildrvr

Nice lookin' mess of wangs. I could knock out quite a few of them right now.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I could almost smell the smoke. Set down a few of them with a cold beer in front of me and I would be set.

biggdogg

I'd be more than happy to hold a plate full whilst y'all carry on with this debate...

dfhooked

Looks excellent. I like to keep em attached as you did but will also normally add a pack of drummetes as well for those who don’t like the whole wing. Reminds me I need to make some wings soon.

Big7

The Oracle
Bout' the only thing I like med/hot.
I like flavor, not pain.

If they are right off the grill, or out of the fryer
I'll take the flats.
To me, the drums are as good but will keep
a lil' longer...............................

Either way.. I'm in!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks great Dub!!!! I leave them attached too. I don't even knock off the tips most times.

Dub

Thanks, everyone.

I agree with Big7 about the leftover mini-drums being more appealing to my folks.

My son had what he called a "crazy idea". He's not big on the texture of leftover chicken. Says the skin just doesn't do it for him. I understand his point.

He suggested I fire up the frydaddy thing and heat them up in there. Has merit, but I'd imagine they'd get overcooked that way. It's worth trying, though. My kind of science experiment !!!

GA1dad

Holy Cow those look good!!! I like them both,, all wings matter!!!

ryanh487

Thanks, everyone.

I agree with Big7 about the leftover mini-drums being more appealing to my folks.

My son had what he called a "crazy idea". He's not big on the texture of leftover chicken. Says the skin just doesn't do it for him. I understand his point.

He suggested I fire up the frydaddy thing and heat them up in there. Has merit, but I'd imagine they'd get overcooked that way. It's worth trying, though. My kind of science experiment !!!

I always reheat wings in the oven, not the microwave. 10 minutes at 350, turn em all at 5 minutes, and they stay crispy instead of getting rubbery.

I need to get my grill fixed so I can grill up a mess of wings myself, those look delicious!

Latest posts