Target Shooting with pistols ??

Bigmonk96

Have hunted & fished all my life (60+ years) -- never shot pistols much until the last 5/6 years -- I read a lot on forums about some one getting a new pistol & saying they had no problems ( jams / fail to fire ) ""even after 200/300 or more rounds "" at the range -- ( just never shot that much at one time**) -- I have bought / traded for several pistols over the last few years ( own 7 now*) and enjoy shooting them all, at the range,along with my long guns, I normally will shoot 20/50 rounds,in several different pistols/ calipers,shoot a few of my hunting rifles,then go home & clean them all (makes for a full day for this old man**)

My question for you guys that shoot pistols "often" or "regularly" is target distance?? At what distance, do you practice the most ??
Do you aim low, then bring the sight "UPWARD" to the target ?? or aim high and bring downward to the target ??

At my range the covered bench rest is 25 / 30yds. from first line targets and even has a 50yd. target set up -- I have shot my 1911's from the 30yds stand with "some success",but with my 4 in./4.5in., barrel Glocks, Springfields, & Sigs, I don't hit the target eye much -- I practice, about 10/15 steps from the target and can petty much keep em' close & on paper* My Springfield XD40 is my ""in the woods,carry gun"" so I shoot it,the most -- I look forward to your replys,thanks,Monk**:flag:

wareagle700

I've backed up to 50 and 100 for fun but the majority of my pistol shooting is done around 10 yards. I try and practice though anywhere from snake killing range to 25 yards on a regular basis.

When I shoot it's usually at least a 50rd box per handgun but it depends on what my goal is that day. If I'm breaking in a new pistol I will shoot several hundred rounds.

transfixer

Depends on the pistol I'm shooting, carry pistols I normally practice at 20 or 30ft, roughly 7 to 10yds, I will shoot my G23 and Springfield xdm 9mm at 25 yds occasionally, just to check my steadiness and trigger control. I always try to adjust my sights so the round will hit just at the top of my front sight post, I don't like the sight to cover the point of impact. Also don't want the round to hit inches above where I'm aiming, I prefer to be more precise than that. Sometimes that means changing the rear sight, or putting an adjustable rear on.

jmoser

We shoot NRA Bullsye pistol on the indoor 50 ft course but there are also targets for 25 yard indoor ranges as well.

The outdoor course is slow fire at 50 yards and timed/rapid at 25.

All of this is one hand hold mind you.

We also shoot PPC from 21 [rapid fire with reload] to 50 ft using different positions and weak hand hold.

Now most of my target guns are just that - serious, accurized, well tuned competition capable guns with quality adjustable sights or optics.

But for general 'target' shooting definitions I consider anything less than 50 ft to be plinking, especially if you use both hands.
If eyesight limits you at longer ranges switch to a red dot or a larger target.

Carry pistols / duty guns etc are less capable at longer distances but you should still be proficient at 35 feet on a silhouette target.

Hunting handguns I shoot at 25-50 yards iron sighst; 50-100 with dots or scopes.

R and D

I shoot quite a bit of uspsa and 3gun....shoot from 0-50yds consistently. I don't really consider it target shooting however.

Dub

Have hunted & fished all my life (60+ years) -- never shot pistols much until the last 5/6 years -- I read a lot on forums about some one getting a new pistol & saying they had no problems ( jams / fail to fire ) ""even after 200/300 or more rounds "" at the range -- ( just never shot that much at one time**) -- I have bought / traded for several pistols over the last few years ( own 7 now*) and enjoy shooting them all, at the range,along with my long guns, I normally will shoot 20/50 rounds,in several different pistols/ calipers,shoot a few of my hunting rifles,then go home & clean them all (makes for a full day for this old man**)

My question for you guys that shoot pistols "often" or "regularly" is target distance?? At what distance, do you practice the most ??
Do you aim low, then bring the sight "UPWARD" to the target ?? or aim high and bring downward to the target ??

At my range the covered bench rest is 25 / 30yds. from first line targets and even has a 50yd. target set up -- I have shot my 1911's from the 30yds stand with "some success",but with my 4 in./4.5in., barrel Glocks, Springfields, & Sigs, I don't hit the target eye much -- I practice, about 10/15 steps from the target and can petty much keep em' close & on paper* My Springfield XD40 is my ""in the woods,carry gun"" so I shoot it,the most -- I look forward to your replys,thanks,Monk**:flag:

I’ve got to have one of those cleaning days soon. Got some dirty guns.

Pistol shooting for me is at 7yds, 15 yds and occasionaly 25yds. All of mine are iron sighted.

I tend to extend outward towards target.

My most carried gun this past year has been a Sig938. Second most is a G19......third is one of a couple Springfield 5” 45’s. Occasionally, like today, I’ll have a SigP226 on my hip.

Woods carry is a 5” Redhawk.

The G19 and 1911’s usually ride in Milt Sparks Criterion holsters. P938 in a IWB kydex or DeSantis Nemesis. StealthGearUSA for the P226. Simply Rugged pancake for the Redhawk and CZ75. Simply Rugged belt slide for 1911’s that is great for long car rides.

7Mag Hunter

was in club for 10yrs with 200 yd shooting range and we shot
all summer...Most fun was with 1911 shooting an old truck flywheel
with metal plate welded in the center and 2ft rebar rods on each
side at distances out past 100+ yds....Great fun hearing that clang
after 1-2 seconds...

GunnSmokeer

I like to enter pistol matches now and then. Just practicing on my own is boring.

Generally, for most of them that I go to, speed is far more important than pinpoint accuracy. And so is being able to manipulate your gun smoothly and with confidence without fumbling, dropping your loaded mag, etc.

I sight-in my range pistol for 15 yards, as that's the farthest distance I normally encounter a "head shot" or "hostage rescue" scenario in any drill or match. At 25 yards, my gun doesn't have to be zeroed for that distance to get all the hits in the big chest area of a target.

If you can quickly raise the gun from low ready and shoot a group the size of a tennis ball at 5 yards, and a group the size of a grapefruit at 10 yards, and a group the size of a basketball at 20 yards, you'll do fine as far as accuracy goes at most pistol matches.

Bigmonk96

If you can quickly raise the gun from low ready and shoot a group the size of a tennis ball at 5 yards, and a group the size of a grapefruit at 10 yards, and a group the size of a basketball at 20 yards, you'll do fine as far as accuracy goes at most pistol matches.

Thanks for this info* -- I read so much about accuracy,and this is what I was looking for -- ""not trying to cover a dime"" shooting well enough, just trying to keep me & mine safe from a "would be crook / bad guy""

I try and make it to the range 4/5 times a year-- also shoot a little in the back yard during hunting season* after reading these replies,I am gona' make my next trip to the range "more fun"" and try some of these methods -- thanks guys !!!_Monk:cheers:

Ajohnson0587

Been shooting USPSA since Aug and I have been practicing a lot at 25-40yrds, but majority of my practice is 10-20yrd shots on partial targets.