Remember Crystal Lake?

letsgohuntin

Im sure many of you south Ga folks have great memories of weekends spent at Crystal Lake. Take a look at it now, it's just sad to see it like this. The part that is still holding water is down where the old caves used to be.

Attachments

• RS-CrystalLake.jpg
    RS-CrystalLake.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 53,513

Oldstick

Yes, I do remember. And we went even once when my kids were little, and they had a blast with all the water slides. That would have been about 15 years ago, so I know it was still open then. I remember you would always see the guy who owned it, he always had that cowboy hat on.

Is it that low because of the drought or has it just gone down hill for lack of maintenence?

letsgohuntin

For those of you who are not from this area, Crystal Lake was a huge lime sink and water park about 18 miles west of Fitzgerald near Irwinville.

It was a huge weekend get away, basically "the beach" without leaving the area. It had a water park with slides, campgrounds, and white sand beaches. The water was very clear, and chasing the many fish was a favorite of kids.

Buck

Wow! even this North Georgia boy was there many years ago... That's a pretty sad sight right there.. Is this due to the drought?

turtlebug

That is so odd. I was thinking about that place the other day. Used to be a weekend getaway when I was in high school. Keys to a car meant weekend trips there. It was a blast.

That's just sad.

letsgohuntin

That is so odd. I was thinking about that place the other day.

Same here! Just yesterday I started to post on here asking if anyone knew whatever happened to Crystal Lake and then I got this email today!

Also, do yall remember Holiday Beach... it was near Douglas I think.

whenders

Some of us guys would play hooky back in the 60's and go spend the day there. Later in life took my family there many times.
Can't remember any names but there has been several drownings over the years.

jmfdakaniterider2

Same here! Just yesterday I started to post on here asking if anyone knew whatever happened to Crystal Lake and then I got this email today!

Also, do yall remember Holiday Beach... it was near Douglas I think.

Went to see George Jones at Holiday Beach And found out why they called him NO SHOW JONES!!!!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Crystal lake is closed now,and has been for several years.I spent many a day there.There was a drowning there and after that it was closed down.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
That is so odd. I was thinking about that place the other day. Used to be a weekend getaway when I was in high school. Keys to a car meant weekend trips there. It was a blast.

That's just sad.

Thats REALLY odd...just last night my daughter and her boyfriend came over and she wanted to show him old photo albums... And there were pictures from when my daughter was about 5 or 6 yrs. old, going down the water slide with a huge smile on her face. She was saying how she loved it, how much fun she had. I still have a pink crop top bought from the gift shop that says "Crystal Lake", fringed on the bottom and sleeves, never wore it.