Predator MX

sweatequity

Anyone own the Predator MX kayak? Any reviews? How is it to paddle? Fast or slow?

Thinking of buying one soon..

Thanks.

jcarleto

We have two. It performs well for its weight. I had trouble with my seat initially, but I understand that the newer models corrected that problem. I am 6'2" and 240 pounds. The second yak is my wife's. She is significantly smaller and never had the seat issue.

It is comfortable and tracks well on big water, though I have been outrun by lighter kayaks. It is very stable. I can stand in it if the water is calm. I believe the amount of weight you carry in the boat has a direct bearing on its speed. My wife does not seem to work as hard as I do crossing a lake or running a river and her boat sits noticeably higher in the water.

I will say that in brisk water with sharp turns and a lot of current, it isn't the right boat. The current will win. But then, it isn't a whitewater boat. It is a fishing boat, and it does that very well. I would not hesitate to take it offshore on a calm day.

Randy

Actually current and sharp turns are exactly what I designed this boat for. Yes I am a little biased on all the Predators as I helped with the design. The Predator MX was designed as an easier turning "mixed water" boat (MX stands for mixed). The Predator 13 tracks better and if you need a better tracking faster boat get the P-13. The MX is more stable, though you have to spend time in both to really see it. Many get the MX because it is a little lighter, and has an open deck. Which I like because I am a fly fisherman and I don't like things for my line to hang on. There are certainly faster kayaks and there are slower kayaks. But IMO there is not a better kayak for moving water.

Randy

BTW, I shave all of the Predators, MX, 13, XL MinnKota, and PDL. I will be glad to let anybody paddle and time.

jcarleto

Randy,

I will agree the MX is an agile boat when compared to similar size fishing kayaks. But I do have trouble with it on Cedar Creek when the water is up and some of the shoals are Class 2 as well as on some of the Fish Weirs on the Etowah when the water is moving. I've been the same places paddling more whitewater-sh designs with more control and less effort...but they were terrible for tracking lakes and wide rivers and were much less stable. It's all a trade-off.

Yakman22

I bought one earlier this year, like it pretty good so far. Love the open deck and the stability. It does get blown around in the wind, but that's expected with any yak that sits that high up. I've only had mine on lakes so far, can't wait to get it on the river. Like Randy said, it's designed to do well in rivers.

sweatequity

Thanks for the input

I have a Hobie Outback which is a great boat for open/deeper water but is a CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored to paddle and useless for flats or moving water. Of course, it wasn't designed for this.

Im looking for a river/flats boat that has some speed and also can be used by my wife or daughter.

The predator MX and 13 are on sale at austinkayak.com and I am super close to pulling the trigger. Free shipping too.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Love my Predator MX. The 13 might track just a hair better but the MX is nimble, stable and the Predator seat is the bomb. I can sit in it all day long. Most of my time is spent on the upper Hooch and fast water and shoals are a breeze.