Trip to Franklins & Pawn Shops

tom ga hunter

My wife wanted to go to Athens shopping so I went around and spent about a hour in Franklins. They had a well balanced inventory, the store was clean and 5 clerks there. I arrived around 12:00 and was 1 of 2 customers there. I spoke with the day shift manager and he said their business had dried up about a month ago. If you want a gun it is a good time to deal with Franklins. I bought some reloading supplies but was tempted by several guns.

On the way home we stopped by the 3 pawn stores in Monroe. As usual the first 2 didn't have anything I wanted. At the 3rd they had a 95% 1992 Marlin 1895 for $400 so I bought it to replace 1 I had traded off last year. I would value the rifle at $550-600. It is my first purchase of the year.

transfixer

Haven't been in Franklins in years, used to be I bought most all my guns there, are their prices still competitive ? say in comparison to Cherokee gun and pawn?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was in Franklin's wasting some time before a doctor appt. a couple weeks back. They had some interesting guns there, and probably not more than 4 or 5 customers in the store.

I was kinda looking for a Marlin 39-A and they didn't have any, but they did have a few Henry's. I have a Henry 22WRM with the octagon barrel already, so my checkbook was safe that day.

I did buy some 22WRM ammo from them though.

transfixer

Next time I go to the lease I'll try and go by there, I used to like going through the used guns they had on racks, could find a deal every now and then. Back in the day when Clarence was still alive you could find a used gun , take it to him and ask what his best cash price was, and usually get a good deal ! Don't know if its the same anymore.

They always seem to have a Ruger #1 or two, or a Savage 99 of some sort. I usually stop and ogle the Dakota model 10 which has been there a long time. Pretty good selection of gun books also.

tom ga hunter

They always seem to have a Ruger #1 or two, or a Savage 99 of some sort. I usually stop and ogle the Dakota model 10 which has been there a long time. Pretty good selection of gun books also.

They have had the M10 for 5-6 years & would like to have it also. When the brought it in there was a 7x57 that was just as nice & 2 really nice M76s but they only lasted a few months.

Dub

For anyone wanting a new 1895 there is a $100 rebate going on.

georgia_home

Was in Franklins yesterday. Traded my S&W M&P Shield in for a new Glock 26 Generation 4 .... My wife was with me so that kept me in check, otherwise I would have been walking out with a new lever action .45 Colt rifle.

furtaker

I love Franklin's. I've never understood the hate that some folks on here have for them. I've bought 2 rifles from them in the last 6 months. I go in there and browse at least a couple times a month to see if they have anything to catch my eye. It is a pretty busy store at times...just depends on when you hit it.

Their managers are always friendly to me, and I personally don't like an employee breathing down my neck when I'm browsing around.

If you're a deer hunter who shoots a Ruger American and has never heard of any deer cartridge but a 270 or 30-06, then go to Walmart to shop. But if you're a gun nut like me, you like going to stores like Franklin's where you can actually pick up and handle the guns. You might run into a used gun that you like and can't find anywhere else.

deast1988

I love Franklin's. I've never understood the hate that some folks on here have for them. I've bought 2 rifles from them in the last 6 months. I go in there and browse at least a couple times a month to see if they have anything to catch my eye. It is a pretty busy store at times...just depends on when you hit it.

Their managers are always friendly to me, and I personally don't like an employee breathing down my neck when I'm browsing around.

If you're a deer hunter who shoots a Ruger American and has never heard of any deer cartridge but a 270 or 30-06, then go to Walmart to shop. But if you're a gun nut like me, you like going to stores like Franklin's where you can actually pick up and handle the guns. You might run into a used gun that you like and can't find anywhere else.

I like it aswell bought several guns from them, if it's used I still ask for best cash value. It takes a gun nut to know deals on older used firearms. Trade ins, not worth it but used cash chard to go wrong there. They have some #1 rugers in .375 Ruger that I wouldn't mind owning.

tom ga hunter

Was in Franklins yesterday. Traded my S&W M&P Shield in for a new Glock 26 Generation 4 .... My wife was with me so that kept me in check, otherwise I would have been walking out with a new lever action .45 Colt rifle.

If you were there around 1:00-2:00 in the back of the store with a lady, we were there at the same time.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My wife wanted to go to Athens shopping so I went around and spent about a hour in Franklins. They had a well balanced inventory, the store was clean and 5 clerks there. I arrived around 12:00 and was 1 of 2 customers there. I spoke with the day shift manager and he said their business had dried up about a month ago. If you want a gun it is a good time to deal with Franklins. I bought some reloading supplies but was tempted by several guns.

On the way home we stopped by the 3 pawn stores in Monroe. As usual the first 2 didn't have anything I wanted. At the 3rd they had a 95% 1992 Marlin 1895 for $400 so I bought it to replace 1 I had traded off last year. I would value the rifle at $550-600. It is my first purchase of the year.

Are you going to the Balmar Outdoors store at Monroe ? Its over near Walmart.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I've passed by that place many times, but never stopped and checked them out, is it worth stopping next time I'm out that way ?

They have lots of stuff. Archery too.

If you were there around 1:00-2:00 in the back of the store with a lady, we were there at the same time.

Yeah ... Sure ... I consider my wife a lady. :D

That time frame sounds about right to me. We had went to the Athens Gun Club indoor shooting range prior to dropping in at Franklins.

Did you pick up anything new?

Big7

The Oracle
If they still have it there is/was customer
appreciation day every February.

I bought about all I'll ever need in a few years there.

New rifles anyway.. Not sure if it was for ammo or not.