Reverse shoulder replacement?

MX5HIGH

I had a massive rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder in 2000. The doctor who did the surgery said I waited too long (6 months) so the repair was difficult and may fail. Well 2003 it did.

I've been getting by on cortisone injections and Tramadol for all these years because I hate the thought of surgery and a shoulder replacement only lasts for 10 years from what I have heard.

My shoulder flared up a few days ago like never before. I see my orthopedic surgeon this week and he's already told me the only option I have to alleviate the pain is a reverse shoulder replacement.

So, who on here has had this surgery? How was the resulting pain after the surgery? Would you do it again?
Thanks for your feedback.

ripplerider

I had it done nearly 2 years ago. I too had had a massive rotator cuff tear resulting from a 10 foot fall onto a hard surface. They tried an arthroscopic repair which promptly re-tore then an un-orthodox procedure where a plastic surgeon removed a third of my tricep muscle with the fascia intact, then an orthopedic surceon inserted it into my shoulder to serve as a rotator cuff.

I did not have good results with this surgery. It was the most painful thing I ever endured due to the numerous nerves they severed. Prior to the surgery my surgeon had told me that he couldnt promise any more strength or mobility but that he could stop the constant pain within a year. Ha! When I went back for my final (one year anniversary of surgery) visit with him, he told me I should be pain free within 5 years. No such luck.

After approximately 7 years of misery my M.D. convinced me to have a total reverse shoulder replacement, saying I didnt have anything to lose. I thought about it for a year then had the surgery, It honestly wasnt that bad pain-wise but the recovery was very long. However, my pain level didnt go down at all after I resumed daily activities. My physical therapists tell me they have never had a patient with a shoulder that has been messed with so much.

Dont let my experience stop you from trying it. My shoulder was massively damaged before I had it, the reason I waffled for a year before taking the plunge was that I couldnt see how replacing the joint would help me when the damage was to the muscles and tendons surrounding it, and it didnt help much if any. I can do some small things a little better than before like reeling which is a big plus. Good luck!

ldw308

I will throw my experience in here as well. I had 2 arthro surgeries on my shoulder that gave me relief for around 10 years. Then I was getting the cortizone injection every 5-6 months. Finally had a shoulder re-surface . Doc installs a metal cap on the ball end , cleans up the cup , and turns you loose .. I was 59 when I had done. That was 4 years ago . I still do what I want to do, run a chainsaw, lift weights , etc. Is it painful , yeah, do I have complete range of motion, no. But I think it was the better choice for me over a total replacement. Yours may be too far gone for this but you can always as your doctor.

Pat Tria

I had reverse shoulder replacement surgery on April 13. It was my third surgery on that shoulder and have had two surgeries on my other shoulder. My rotator cuff was shot and I was bone on bone.
The purpose of the reversal is to allow the deltoid muscle to act as the rotator cuff. Having gone through 4 rotator cuff rehabs, the replacement surgery was a walk in the park. Yes, there was some pain and discomfort but nothing like a rotator cuff. I'm about 11 weeks from my surgery and still working on my range of motion and just began working with the rubber bands a few weeks ago. Had to wait almost 3 months until I started PT. There's was a lot of healing that needed to go on before I could start moving the joint and there's still a lot more to come. I'm glad I had it done because with the tear that I had, I lost a range of motion and I've already gained that back. It was definitely worth it for me!

MX5HIGH

I had reverse shoulder replacement surgery on April 13. It was my third surgery on that shoulder and have had two surgeries on my other shoulder. My rotator cuff was shot and I was bone on bone.
The purpose of the reversal is to allow the deltoid muscle to act as the rotator cuff. Having gone through 4 rotator cuff rehabs, the replacement surgery was a walk in the park. Yes, there was some pain and discomfort but nothing like a rotator cuff. I'm about 11 weeks from my surgery and still working on my range of motion and just began working with the rubber bands a few weeks ago. Had to wait almost 3 months until I started PT. There's was a lot of healing that needed to go on before I could start moving the joint and there's still a lot more to come. I'm glad I had it done because with the tear that I had, I lost a range of motion and I've already gained that back. It was definitely worth it for me!

Just as a follow up, how is your shoulder doing? Is your range of motion still good? How is your pain level?

breathe in

didn't have the reverse shoulder but am sitting at home 3.5 weeks after having my rotator cuff done. you guys are scaring the crap outta me with your RC surgeries that didn't work! :eek:

Mike 65

Breath in
I had RC surgery 10 months ago. I had a massive tear.
They put in 4anchors and a screw. Also had a bicep tenotomy several bone spurs removed and cleaned up the arthritis and bursitis.
Now the only pain I have is when I sleep on it wrong (can’t help how you turn when you sleep) or when I really over do it working.
I had to turn my draw weight down on my bow but I’m shooting it and have been since September.
I’ve lost strength that I can’t get back because of the tenotomy but it’s a good trade off to be pain free.
Hope this makes you feel better.
Just do everything the doc and therapist tell you to, nothing more, nothing less.
Good luck!

MX5HIGH

didn't have the reverse shoulder but am sitting at home 3.5 weeks after having my rotator cuff done. you guys are scaring the crap outta me with your RC surgeries that didn't work! :eek:

Try to relax. Every RC repair is different. Mine tore 3 years after my surgery (2000) because I had a bad fall and tore the repair. If that had not happened, my repair may still be intact.

Follow your doctors orders and stick with your physical therapy plan. You will do fine.

Pat Tria

it's been 11 months since the shoulder replacement and still have a limited range of motion particularly reaching towards my back. The Dr said I will never touch my back with that hand and it's difficult to reach in that back pants pocket. I still don't have much strength reaching for things in the cupboard. I've not been able to increase with more than a 1 lb weight above my shoulder. That;s the downside of things. The best part is that the pain I previously experienced is gone and I did gain some mobility that was previously lost.

dslc6487

Don't go into the surgery thinking that you will be pain free after it is done and be able to do things that you could do when you were 25. It ain't gonna happen. It may relieve some or your pain, it could not be any better, or, it could be worse. I have had 5 orthopedic surgeries: both knees replaced, rotator cuff, neck and another shoulder procedure. I am still in pain from all of them. Not as much as before the procedure were done, but I still experience pain in all 5 joints every day. But, I just live with it and work through the pain as much as possible. I find that warm compresses help me a lot. Also a couple of prescription meds help: Voltaren gel, and Flector patches. I cannot take any meds for pain by mouth as they reap havoc on my stomach. Can't even take Tylenol, but, it never did me any good anyway. Good luck in your decision, but do not look for a miracle. The body is like a machine, it will tear up and we have to repair it as good as we can, and keep on running the race...