Crossbow

virgil

I am considering on buying a real nice crossbow after shooting a compound bow for over 30 years. I hunt from a climber and what suggestions on a great crossbow? Thanks for all suggestions.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Personally I shoot a Parker Blackhawk. American built Lifetime Warranty. Only thing I would suggest is ditch the scope it comes with and get a better one. Topped mine with a Nikon BoltXR. It's non illuminated but I think it's better in low light due to far superior light gathering

1gr8bldr

Scorypd. Nothing else comes close

jrbowhuntr

Do your research, This is one place that the old saying holds true.
You get what you pay for. It all depends on how much you are going to shoot it. I shoot mine a lot. The only bows that I've had and I've had a few, that will hold up is the Mission line. I'm shooting a another bow now that I'll name later,(PM me and I'll tell you). I thing it is going to turn some heads and hold up to all kinds of abuse. It's a very nice bow. Shoot all you can get your hands on and listen to them and try to fill the vibration in the all.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I'm also in the market for 1 , but not a 1500$ one , I'm leaning towards the Barnett raptor fx3 pro , seen some good reviews and a couple guys on here talking good about them , I done told my wife that my daughter had to have 1 before September !!!

virgil

Wow Scorpyd and Ravin out of my price range. I wanted to stay under$1000. I leaning towards a Barnett.

Jim Boyd

If you want to spend less than $1k, do yourself a favor and get the Parker Hurricane.

Under $1k with the illuminated scope, 380 fps and lifetime warranty.

I just sold my Parker Tornado (loved it) and got the Hurricane.

Excellent results so far.

I dealt with Wyvern Creations on the purchase. Got excellent service and many extras thrown in, like 12 arrows, rope cocker, broadheads etc.

Good luck.

1gr8bldr

My Scorypd will keep them all in your hat at 140 yards. I never use it. To much like a gun. Adjustable scope with the turn of a dial, 0 to 140 yds. After that you have to hold over. Sinks it up to the fletching on a new full size deer target. 420 FPS with a HEAVY bolt. Been hanging up for 2 years now. It took the challenge out of bowhunting. I have a 4x12 Monarch Nikon on it. Went from it to traditional, LOL

1gr8bldr

The reverse limb crossbows are nice in how they balance. They still feel heavy, but nothing like all the weight being out on the end.

virgil

I am seriously looking at the Excalibur Crossbow Package Micro Suppressor. I like the warranty and the recurve. I looked at one at Cabellas today. Maybe Bass Pro will have one in stock.

GaFlyGuy

For hunting ? CamX Chaos hands down. You don't hear much from them as there isn't any problems. The features and less features are built for hunting "no gimmicks no CensoredCensored"

virgil

Cam x bows seems to be great bows but I was leaning towards a recurve crossbow. The Excalibur Micro Suppressor with the Twillight FLX scope. I need to call them next week to get some of my questions answered.

BowanaLee

This was my 1st rodeo. I got the Raptor FX3 pro. Dang thing would stack field points at 100 yds. Screwed on a broad head and it wouldn't even stack em at 50. It was a 35 yd hunting bow. Not what I wanted. Only thing I can figure is the bolts weren't coming out straight. I tried 3 mechanicals and 3 fixed heads. You can't tune them like a bow. After a lot of wrangling I now have a Barnett Ghost 360. Shot it for the first time friday. Initial testing have it stacking at 40 yds with Ramcat Diamondbacks so I'm on the right track. I'll know a lot more after the next practice round. I'm not buying one for long range shooting but if they're accurate at 50 or better, in my opinion, it shows how well its built.
I went to the doctor and had xrays. He said I have degenerative arthritus in right shoulder. Theres no cure so I'll have to live with it. He prescribed 800 mg ibuprofen for a week for inflammation.
Its a Nonsteroidal anti-Inflammatory drug. Worked great until I got off of it. The pain is back. Crossbow hunting is probably in my near future so I need to be ready. facepalm: I'll post again after I know more. :huh:

Last edited:

virgil

BowanaLee I am glad you chimed in. Well I have watched and enjoyed all of your videos. Well I have hunted with a compound for many years and never thought about using a crossbow. My job has taken its toll on my shoulders so that is why I am going to a crossbow. I am looking forward to a new weapon. I just want to make sure that I get a good quality crossbow that is consistantly accurant without breaking the bank. I do like the recurve crossbows over the compound. With all of the new technology there are many choices. I really value my fellow GON members advice. I am still looking and narrowed it down considerably. I will definately let everyone the one I choose.

BowanaLee

Spent the afternoon getting trail cam cards and testing the new xbow. Both worked out great. I'm keeping this one ! :) At 40 yds, with a ramcat diamondback, I can hit a squirrel in the head about every time. At 60 yds I can keep it on a baseball sized target. :) Didn't try any farther but I will. The good thing about these diamondbacks is they're strong. I can shoot them over and over. With my 445 gr GT ballistic 425 going 335 fps my blob targets break mechanicals after just a few shots. That gets REAL expensive. Oh, the trail cam cards. Your not going to believe this MONSTA 8 and big N/T 18-20 pointer thats shown up. They always break my heart and leave before opening day but maybe this is my year ? ::; http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=898750

Last edited:

jbogg

You won't go wrong with an Excaliber. I have had my vortex for 6 years. If I were to buy one now it would be the micro you mentioned.

BowanaLee

I thought about excaliburs too. The only thing that scared me away, "with my bad shoulder", is the high draw weights. Less moving parts is great for eliminating breakdowns but those limbs need heavy weight to do the same work. The micro's 335 fps = 270 lbs. My new ghost 360 fps = 165 lb and its faster. I think your gonna need the crank on excaliburs. Its over 100 lbs more to draw to get the same speed. Thats what they're for though.
Another thing, you can expect to deduct about 25 fps off the advertised speed for a hunting bolt. Maybe more ? I'm not saying to get a ghost 360. I'm new on xbows. Just putting the info out there.

virgil

I am also new to crossbows and I do value everyone's comments. BowanaLee you have given me somethings that I must consider. The Excalibur draw weight is 280lbs, with a rope it will be reduced to 140lbs. I hope I will be able to use the rope and not the C2. BowanaLee I didn't recall you making any hunting videos last season. Will you have some videos this season?

Latest posts