lake striper/hybrid fishing etiquette?

castandblast

Went out yesterday on Allatoona to chase some hybrids and saw something that really got me thinking on the etiquette of downline fishing. I got setup on a spot right before daylight and noticed one of the guide boats coming into the spot I was at. The guide saw me and was nice enough to not come in on top of me, turned and started working some water a couple hundred yards away. Another pontoon boat came in and setup right on top of the guide boat. The guide worked that spot then got up and moved on down the lake and the pontoon followed. After I stopped catching the fish in the school I was on, I got up and left to the next spot I wanted to fish. When I started getting close I noticed the guide and the pontoon was there, so I continued on (never left off throttle) to find another school. I went to the next point, which was still in sight of the guide and the pontoon boat but was several hundred yards or so from them. I started catching a few more fish, and the pontoon picked up and sat down right beside me (within casting distance).

My question is, when did it become acceptable to start downlining on top of other boats and does it bother anyone else besides me? Should I have been bothered by it? I think half the fun of this sport is thinking and finding the fish. I don't see this with spotted/large mouth fisherman. I can understand when its a weekend and multiple boats were out, but I saw maybe 5 other boats that were targeting hybrids on a Monday morning.

StriperrHunterr

Went out yesterday on Allatoona to chase some hybrids and saw something that really got me thinking on the etiquette of downline fishing. I got setup on a spot right before daylight and noticed one of the guide boats coming into the spot I was at. The guide saw me and was nice enough to not come in on top of me, turned and started working some water a couple hundred yards away. Another pontoon boat came in and setup right on top of the guide boat. The guide worked that spot then got up and moved on down the lake and the pontoon followed. After I stopped catching the fish in the school I was on, I got up and left to the next spot I wanted to fish. When I started getting close I noticed the guide and the pontoon was there, so I continued on (never left off throttle) to find another school. I went to the next point, which was still in sight of the guide and the pontoon boat but was several hundred yards or so from them. I started catching a few more fish, and the pontoon picked up and sat down right beside me (within casting distance).

My question is, when did it become acceptable to start downlining on top of other boats and does it bother anyone else besides me? Should I have been bothered by it? I think half the fun of this sport is thinking and finding the fish. I don't see this with spotted/large mouth fisherman. I can understand when its a weekend and multiple boats were out, but I saw maybe 5 other boats that were targeting hybrids on a Monday morning.
I can't speak for hybrids, but the schooling nature of striper is actually more easily taken advantage of with multiple boats. The school will likely stay in the area and active if there are more boats with baits in the area.

Having said that, setting up within casting distance and shadowing a guide isn't what I'd recommend. Maybe that guide told them they could tag along.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

I would have taken the heaviest, junkiest lure you had and cast it into the pontoon boat until you were able to snag something.

The pontoon owner is a jerk.

castandblast

I would have taken the heaviest, junkiest lure you had and cast it into the pontoon boat until you were able to snag something.

The pontoon owner is a jerk.

this fisherman is just one of many people who seem to fish like that. It seems this is the new method of downlining. He is definitely not the first nor the last to do this on me. Just curious if any body else felt like I do.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
this fisherman is just one of many people who seem to fish like that. It seems this is the new method of downlining. He is definitely not the first nor the last to do this on me. Just curious if any body else felt like I do.

A lot of fisherman in general don't like looking for fish anymore. It is much easier to fish the bent rod pattern. I personally like finding them...even more the reason why they are there. That usually unlocks even more areas to try.

There are many times you may see me and another friend rod to rod, but it is because one of us invited the other into a school that was fired up.

AStrick

I believe pontoon had an invite?
If I see a guide on the water, I check up!
I'll give'em room & even give up my preferred fishing spot if they come in, but it hasn't come to that,, most times they are waving telling me to come over there!
That man is out there busting his hump to make a living!
I do remember a time in Kellogg Creek boats where kinda scattered,, quick as my downlines went down left and right,, a couple of boats were on top of me,, I said something to one guy,,
He might as well get in my boat and fish!
He didn't say a word,, just stared at Me?
I told him not to look at me, in that tone voice!
My buddy was flipping out,, then the guy kinda eased off!
After my bike crash,, I'm just glad to be on the water!
Fo Sho!

brianj

this time of the yr when the fish are schooling up like that, i'd say it's pretty common. I've had guides pull right up on side of me and start fishing as well. usually they'll ask "you mind if i ease in" or something like that. so i usually don't mind someone fishing near me; right on top is a different story, especially if they approach with no regard for what you have going on.
i think the following a guide from spot to spot is wrong.

Worley

Striper

Congratulations to all who have found and catch fish...Now enjoy the moment and don't stress while ya on the water...if any of you think u got it roughy come to a Lanier for a weekend of pleasure fishing...ur 1-2 boats will be like 15/20 in one spot, and all the while dodging 30' cruisers...And Pate I appreciate the invitation too :bounce:

pbradley

I asked a fella on West Point a few weeks ago if he would like for me to go ahead and open my live well lids so he could drop a line down. Dude was within 10 feet and still coming. Fortunately for both of us, I was able to persuade him to move off a little ways. It is bad and getting worse.

snapdog

Years ago before spot lock and gps graphs. the only ways to stay on a spot was with either a marker buoy or triangulation to a couple of points on shore. There were a couple of full time guides on West point at the time who were extremely good at slowly approaching your boat and moving you off the fish you were on. Until I learned what they were doing, I would just try to maintain a minimum distance between myself and other boats which caused me to get moved off fish on multiple occasions. When I finally caught on what was happening I made sure that a marker buoy went out anytime I was on fish and maintained my position.

castandblast

Congratulations to all who have found and catch fish...Now enjoy the moment and don't stress while ya on the water...if any of you think u got it roughy come to a Lanier for a weekend of pleasure fishing...ur 1-2 boats will be like 15/20 in one spot, and all the while dodging 30' cruisers...And Pate I appreciate the invitation too :bounce:

been there, done that, and have that t-shirt. I will usually only hit lanier up on weekdays for that reason. Hartwell, is just as bad. Doesn't matter what lake you go to, just seems people are lazy and don't want to find fish and would just rather chase boats.

AStrick

I know what ya mean,
it's gotten so bad, some guides have to rely on blocker boats or decoys, some even taken their guide service decals off their boats just to blend in!
It's a sad day!
Fo Sho!

CaptainCraig

I was anchored about 30 miles out in the Gulf and had a boat approach at high speed, circle the boat and then wave their handheld gps in the air letting me know they marked the spot.

deerhunter09

There doesn't seem to be much etiquette anymore. I've had boats drive right over the point I'm fishing when I'm just a cast length from the bank. I've had another boats cast land close enough to splash me. It's become ridiculous, I try to let it slide as much as I can, but have had a few confrontations.

I asked a fella on West Point a few weeks ago if he would like for me to go ahead and open my live well lids so he could drop a line down. Dude was within 10 feet and still coming. Fortunately for both of us, I was able to persuade him to move off a little ways. It is bad and getting worse.

The wife and I rented a cabin and spent this past week chasing stripers/hybrids at West Point. Was slow the first couple days but finally came across a school one afternoon. Needless to say, rods were bending left and right and we had a ball!

Spent nearly an hour in the area until we got noticed and here comes the first boat within casting distance. Then a second, then a 3rd...a 4th....ya'll get the drift. It got to the point that we were pushed off our area where we were downlining! Two of the boats were trolling jigs, one stayed on top of the area where we were and I swear I could have just hop on and make myself at home. We had a boat casual watch and guess who we saw the follwing day???

We stayed on them the remaining 4 days we were there.
I know its advantageous with multiple boats keeping the school active but dang, what happened to keeping distance and respecting others?! Part of the fun is to find the bait and then the school of fish. I often ask others for advice how to catch bait and general area but never have I just casual just troll and overtake someone else's spot.

Its getting really bad....I wonder if I were to drop a few markers they would respect our space?!

Scout'nStripers

Here's a video I made a few years back while spooning. Those striper boats just kept getting closer and closer every time I turned my back to land and release a fish. How close is too close????
You know, if those guys would have spoke to me all would have been fine. I bit my tongue because there was a young fella in the boat and I really wanted to watch him catch a fish. He did and I left.

Lindseys Grandpa

Years ago i showed a well known West Point guide how to get thru the lower set of shoals above Franklin. A week later he threw out a anchor that splashed water on my motor. A week after that he anchored down below me right where i was bottom fishing.

Years ago i showed a well known West Point guide how to get thru the lower set of shoals above Franklin. A week later he threw out a anchor that splashed water on my motor. A week after that he anchored down below me right where i was bottom fishing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Similiar situation a couple years back at West Point. Saw a well known guide several weekends straight fishing with clients a few hundred yards out. His area must have dried up and guess where he ended up fishing the following weekend.....right next to me. But I didn't mind, its how they make a living and I respect that. Just hopeful he keeps that in mind next time someone approach his "territory." :cool: