Pretty stinging indictment on the Church in America

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
You've probably raised a lot of money for your church doing this. Nice trick.

Trick? Hobbs, the more you talk the less convinced I become that you have any love in your heart except for yourself. You have built an entire deviant religion based solely on your interpretation of scripture, with the central purpose being to service your prideful ego.

hobbs27

Trick? Hobbs, the more you talk the less convinced I become that you have any love in your heart except for yourself. You have built an entire deviant religion based solely on your interpretation of scripture, with the central purpose being to service your prideful ego.

I say the poor should not give 10% of their income in tithing. You still want to squeeze it out of them saying in one place it is sinful to not tithe. You have failed to demonstrate this sin you would cast on the poor as a new testament commandment... Yet I have a prideful ego?

Obviously you haven't understood my point. It's the opposite of what you suggest. You may give money to the church to help the hungry etc, etc....but at the same time a large portion of your money is going to fund the church building itself, pay for power, lawn maintenance, parking lots, roofing, AC... I know, I once sat on the board of a church.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I say the poor should not give 10% of their income in tithing. You still want to squeeze it out of them saying in one place it is sinful to not tithe. You have failed to demonstrate this sin you would cast on the poor as a new testament commandment... Yet I have a prideful ego?

Obviously you haven't understood my point. It's the opposite of what you suggest. You may give money to the church to help the hungry etc, etc....but at the same time a large portion of your money is going to fund the church building itself, pay for power, lawn maintenance, parking lots, roofing, AC... I know, I once sat on the board of a church.

And so the conundrum for a Christian is exposed.

Where do you go from here? Taking care to not get trapped in the belief that your personal tithing to specific organizations directly linked to the people in need does not become a mission of "works" for you, subtly transforming the intent of your tithing to begin with.

When you take the intentions of the heart and tithing out of Faith to God out of God's hands and put your human controlling spirit over it, are you tithing out of Faith or the need of self-gratifying works? Where does God exist in that model?

If you do not have enough Faith that God will use the leadership of that church to put the money where it is needed to do His will, then where is your justification in your Faith in God's will and what he provides for you?

I fully understand your distrust of humans and how ornery they are in church councils, boards, etc. and the in fighting and conflict of how and where money can be spent. They are humans and subject to the ego's that come with their God given free spirit to choose to be so. It is the very reason I left one church that was sitting on hundreds of thousands of privately donated money earmarked for a building campaign, but refused to do anything with it out of fear that they would have to supplement it with loans and go into debt and fail as a church.

My parting words to the building committee was; You don't have to be afraid of the latter, you have already succeeded in that failure.

Is it our hearts duty to follow our minds instead of Faith in God's will for the money we tithe? If we truly give it freely do we let our distrust in man (church managment) stand in the way of God's will and His ability to bring those in control to accountability in order to accomplish His mission? Creflo Dollar comes to mind here.

Conundrums abound if we choose to control the path of our tithes. But then, if we tithe through that method we are not truly tithing as it's defined intent is stated, we are merely humans donating money. The spiritual difference between donating and tithing are worlds apart.

Israel

BANNED
And so the conundrum for a Christian is exposed.

Where do you go from here? Taking care to not get trapped in the belief that your personal tithing to specific organizations directly linked to the people in need does not become a mission of "works" for you, subtly transforming the intent of your tithing to begin with.

When you take the intentions of the heart and tithing out of Faith to God out of God's hands and put your human controlling spirit over it, are you tithing out of Faith or the need of self-gratifying works? Where does God exist in that model?

If you do not have enough Faith that God will use the leadership of that church to put the money where it is needed to do His will, then where is your justification in your Faith in God's will and what he provides for you?

I fully understand your distrust of humans and how ornery they are in church councils, boards, etc. and the in fighting and conflict of how and where money can be spent. They are humans and subject to the ego's that come with their God given free spirit to choose to be so. It is the very reason I left one church that was sitting on hundreds of thousands of privately donated money earmarked for a building campaign, but refused to do anything with it out of fear that they would have to supplement it with loans and go into debt and fail as a church.

My parting words to the building committee was; You don't have to be afraid of the latter, you have already succeeded in that failure.

Is it our hearts duty to follow our minds instead of Faith in God's will for the money we tithe? If we truly give it freely do we let our distrust in man (church managment) stand in the way of God's will and His ability to bring those in control to accountability in order to accomplish His mission? Creflo Dollar comes to mind here.

Conundrums abound if we choose to control the path of our tithes. But then, if we tithe through that method we are not truly tithing as it's defined intent is stated, we are merely humans donating money. The spiritual difference between donating and tithing are worlds apart.

But it would appear you have already established the tithe as (for want of a better expression) the legitimate (?) means of the expression of giving amongst believers.

Though it is true, as with all things given...words, money, material goods, our only assurance to their "good" end is God. I am simply convinced the consciousness of percentages (if only to my own conscience) has an unsavory effect.
Yet, only God knows...if it should.

It can become (and perhaps must become...?) as the speedometer mentioned in my last post.

This is not even addressing the matter of apostolic instruction in regards to giving...what it is, what it is not.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

First. I didn't say it was a sin not to tithe. God did.

Second. Maybe you haven't been keeping up with the conversation, but our entire budget goes to missions. If you want to say paying the light bill doesn't count because people can read their bibles in the dark or the church can feed the hungry cold uncooked food then I will cede the point. I guess sitting on a church board is what made you so high and mighty as to think you are above what is biblical. Maybe you should try the pew if you can descend to that level again. Though I can't see that with your self proclaimed boasting of not being a follower and challenging authority. I give thanks to God that he keeps me humble enough to not be deaf to those who are clearly more spiritually mature than me.

hobbs27

First. I didn't say it was a sin not to tithe. God did.

Second. Maybe you haven't been keeping up with the conversation, but our entire budget goes to missions. If you want to say paying the light bill doesn't count because people can read their bibles in the dark or the church can feed the hungry cold uncooked food then I will cede the point. I guess sitting on a church board is what made you so high and mighty as to think you are above what is biblical. Maybe you should try the pew if you can descend to that level again. Though I can't see that with your self proclaimed boasting of not being a follower and challenging authority. I give thanks to God that he keeps me humble enough to not be deaf to those who are clearly more spiritually mature than me.

Sitting on the church board didn't make me feel high and mighty.. It broke my heart. It showed me what religion has done to Christianity... It showed me how fake people are.... Always pray for your deacons or board members, they need it. They have to deal with all the mess no one else see's going on.

To your first point. It isn't possible for us to give 10% of our harvest to the levitical priests.. The Law is fulfilled and levitical priests no longer exist. Not to mention we are merely Gentiles and were never under the Law, so we don't have to be circumcised or tithe.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Sitting on the church board didn't make me feel high and mighty.. It broke my heart. It showed me what religion has done to Christianity... It showed me how fake people are.... Always pray for your deacons or board members, they need it. They have to deal with all the mess no one else see's going on.

To your first point. It isn't possible for us to give 10% of our harvest to the levitical priests.. The Law is fulfilled and levitical priests no longer exist. Not to mention we are merely Gentiles and were never under the Law, so we don't have to be circumcised or tithe.

Excuses. You don't owe them to me. There's another that will hear them.

SemperFiDawg

I say the poor should not give 10% of their income in tithing. You still want to squeeze it out of them saying in one place it is sinful to not tithe.

You still don't get it. To you and many others it's about MONEY. "Squeeze it out of them" says it all. You think God needs your money? It's insane to think that.

The tithe is totally symbolic of ones gratitude to God. Should a poor man be less grateful to God than a rich man?

If God gives one everything he needs to substain his every need AND eternal life, is expecting him to be grateful enough to tithe 10% back as a thank you asking too much regardless of his station in life. A man of faith would say "no", God will provide. A man without faith sees only HIS money.

It's a heart issue.

hobbs27

Excuses. You don't owe them to me. There's another that will hear them.

Yes, I have excuses. My excuses are Jesus Christ ' Death, burial, and resurrection that freed God's people from the bondage of Law.

SemperFiDawg

Yes, I have excuses. My excuses are Jesus Christ ' Death, burial, and resurrection that freed God's people from the bondage of Law.

Why am I debating with someone who has created their own counterfeit of Christianity.:banginghe

hobbs27

Why am I debating with someone who has created their own counterfeit of Christianity.:banginghe

The fulfillment of the law through the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ is counterfeit Christianity? I don't think it gets much more orthodox than that.

Maybe you should have stopped when you had no scriptural support?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Post #9 has you covered.

So you also believe in the cutting off of hands of thieves and stoning women to death whom you believe to be prostitutes? Why do you cling so tightly to the law that was completed with the crucifixion?

One cannot abide by the laws of the Old Testament and claim Jesus as their Savior if you do not believe he has paid the price for those old laws in advance via his sacrifice.

SemperFiDawg

The fulfillment of the law through the death burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ is counterfeit Christianity? I don't think it gets much more orthodox than that.

Maybe you should have stopped....
I should have remembered I was engaging someone who's only purpose for scripture is to twist it to stroke his intellectual ego and ignored you which I'll do from now on.

SemperFiDawg

So you also believe in the cutting off of hands of thieves and stoning women to death whom you believe to be prostitutes? Why do you cling so tightly to the law that was completed with the crucifixion?

Tell me brother, are you free from the 10 commandments also. They are surely OT Law, or are you called as a Christian to observe it to the Nth degree by not even committing murder with your tongue. If you understand the Sermon on the Mount I'm confident you understand that his followers are called to the Nth degree because it's a heart/love calling. So you say the tithe is dead based on being old covenant. Maybe you are correct, which begs the question the rich young ruler asked. "What must I do to be saved?" And Christ answered with a Nth degree answer: "Sell all and follow me." I highly doubt those who argue against tithing based on it being old covenant , aren't doing so to swallow the New camel. If you have sold everything you own and given it to the poor, my apologies. Speed limit indeed!!!!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Tell me brother, are you free from the 10 commandments also. They are surely OT Law, or are you called as a Christian to observe it to the Nth degree by not even committing murder with your tongue. If you understand the Sermon on the Mount I'm confident you understand that his followers are called to the Nth degree because it's a heart/love calling. So you say the tithe is dead based on being old covenant. Maybe you are correct, which begs the question the rich young ruler asked. "What must I do to be saved?" And Christ answered with a Nth degree answer: "Sell all and follow me." I highly doubt those who argue against tithing based on it being old covenant , aren't doing so to swallow the New camel. If you have sold everything you own and given it to the poor, my apologies. Speed limit indeed!!!!

If the Bible were to be taken at it's many generations of "literal" translation, yes. But that isn't the case now is it?

To "sell everything you own" was quite clearly a metaphor to cast aside your worldly ties and travel with him in his ministry. Otherwise His charge to John to take care of Mary after his crucifixion would have been null and void, even careless or contemptuous. For in those days a man must have a house and belongings in that house to take in and care for an elder, or even a wife, even when charged to do so by Jesus.

Now, we also have to make note of the differences between the moral / Mosaic Law and the Rabbinical Law of the Hebrews. All were observed pre-Christ, even post-Christ until the concept of his Commission and greatest Command were taking effect in the new movement called Christianity.

Sadly, many have yet to fully grasp the purpose of His coming and His sacrifice.

SemperFiDawg

If the Bible were to be taken at it's many generations of "literal" translation, yes. But that isn't the case now is it?

To "sell everything you own" was quite clearly a metaphor to cast aside your worldly ties and travel with him in his ministry. Otherwise His charge to John to take care of Mary after his crucifixion would have been null and void, even careless or contemptuous. For in those days a man must have a house and belongings in that house to take in and care for an elder, or even a wife, even when charged to do so by Jesus.

Now, we also have to make note of the differences between the moral / Mosaic Law and the Rabbinical Law of the Hebrews. All were observed pre-Christ, even post-Christ until the concept of his Commission and greatest Command were taking effect in the new movement called Christianity.

Sadly, many have yet to fully grasp the purpose of His coming and His sacrifice.

A metaphor? Really? How quaint. Odd the rich young ruler didn't have a sense of humor and missed it don't you think?