Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Birds, Birds and More Birds > Turkey Talk

Old 01-21-2018, 07:16 PM

Did you carry a Brad Pitt blow up doll to attract your wife or girlfriend? Say no to fake turkeys. It's like wearing velcro hunting boots.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:53 PM

I've killed more without a decoy than with and I hunt pretty unmolested private property in FL, SC and GA.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:43 PM

Go with what fountain said, do what you want and don't look back...that's 2018 talk, and all fine and well and I used to have a cheap foam decoy too, used to. But because there's a man that lives in the woods that doesn't touch a computer and can't tell you this I'll say it for him in a way...Killing turkeys with a decoy (much less a God forsaken witchcraft voodoo hex like a fan) is like sex with a $2 CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored, even if it was good you'd still be ashamed of it
Old 01-22-2018, 07:00 PM

Why would anybody care how another hunter hunts as long as he isn't doing anything illegal? I don't mean the original post. I'm talking about people being staunchly in favor of one or the other.

If you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.

Last edited by South GA Dawg; 01-22-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:03 PM
Patrolling The Halls At Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by South GA Dawg View Post
Why would anybody care how another hunter hunts as long as he isn't doing anything illegal? I don't mean the original post. I'm talking about people being staunchly in favor of one or the other.

Off you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:

If you want to hunt with a decoy, so what? If not, so what? You paid for your license, your camo, your shells, your gun, etc. So you can hu t how you want.
Man that's the million dollar question!!!!!!!

A man puts buffalo turkey strips on the table!!!! It doesn't matter how...if it's there and it's legal....THAT man is the winner!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:39 PM

I don't really care how anyone shoots a turkey legally hunting a decoy. I'd rather choose a setup to make one come into shooting range after I called it in. The last yards are the challenge I would rather make happen myself. But, that's why I hunt. What others do is up to them solely for the benefit they gain from it.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I almost always use them. For me it's the old, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, philosophy. There have been times I know that I wouldn't have gotten a turkey had I not had decoys out. And there have been times when I didn't have one out and it almost certainly would have made a difference. Can you kill a turkey without one? Sure. But why not get every legal advantage you can? Turkey hunting is tough enough with a decoy. Anyone who thinks it makes you less of a hunter, I just laugh at those people while I'm walking out of the woods with my turkey.
I don't believe it makes you less of a turkey hunter. I've killed plenty of birds using decoys. I have had them ruin many hunts too (running off birds/hanging up birds so to me, they are not always an advantage.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 PM

To me, turkey hunting is about versatility. Being able to adapt to the situation and make him flop is the key. I’m not a purest. I’ve killed em with decoys, without decoys, fanned em in, etc and every time I kill one or call one in for someone else and they kill, it’s just as fun. I’ve called in two for my son in a ground blind and he killed them and I don’t think we kill either bird without em.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Its all about stroking their own ego. Nothing more, nothing less.
Its not satisfying enough to know for themselves that they did it in what they deem to be "the hard way".
They want you to be impressed with them too.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexican Squealer View Post
I don't believe it makes you less of a turkey hunter. I've killed plenty of birds using decoys. I have had them ruin many hunts too (running off birds/hanging up birds so to me, they are not always an advantage.
Same here.
Quote:
they are not always an advantage
Maybe if that happens to enough people, in time the forum will be full of "Oh you DONT use a decoy? You aren't a real turkey hunter because you don't do it the hard way"
Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM

Walt, you need one of those new kayaks shaped like a big carp. They are catching some big fish with it. Beyond all else. Enjoy the outdoors. lol
Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIronheadX View Post
Walt, you need one of those new kayaks shaped like a big carp. They are catching some big fish with it. Beyond all else. Enjoy the outdoors. lol
Ive been looking for a good excuse to get a new yak!
Old 01-23-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltL1 View Post
Its not satisfying enough to know for themselves that they did it in what they deem to be "the hard way".
That is it in a nutshell. I knew that on some level but you saying it was like a bolt of lightning. You're exactly right.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 PM

I like to use decoys. It's nothing for me to put out 10 or 12. Nothing draws a gobbler like a flock of hens. I don't understand hunting without a decoy. Guys who hunt without them are missing out and at a serious disadvantage. If you don't use decoys, I'm willing to take you and show you how to use them
Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstille View Post
I like to use decoys. It's nothing for me to put out 10 or 12. Nothing draws a gobbler like a flock of hens. I don't understand hunting without a decoy. Guys who hunt without them are missing out and at a serious disadvantage. If you don't use decoys, I'm willing to take you and show you how to use them
I wanna see you dragging them in the woods. lol You'll be worn out before you get out of sight of the truck.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltL1 View Post
If the anti-decoy guys had started their own thread, beating their chest about how we/they don't need a decoy, and made proclamations about their killing prowess to impress other, if that was the case then your statement might have some validity. But because they simply answered someone else's question... I think not. Little insecure about your decoy bag?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteHeat View Post
If the anti-decoy guys had started their own thread, beating their chest about how we/they don't need a decoy, and made proclamations about their killing prowess to impress other, if that was the case then your statement might have some validity. But because they simply answered someone else's question... I think not. Little insecure about your decoy bag?
If you'll notice, I responded directly to the question as to why there is the whole "shame on you for using a decoy" thing.
As for being insecure about using a decoy -
Quote:
Ive had them work for me, Ive had them work against me.
I use one less and less.
I rarely use one. Couldn't care less what anybody else thinks when I do. Couldn't care less if somebody uses one every time they hunt.
Good luck this season.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:09 PM

All these guys using decoys because they aren't real hunters. They aren't tough enough. Heck, I don't even use a shotgun, that's too easy! I take out my pocket knife and cut their head off with a quick, ninja like, slice.

Just kidding.... Do it however you want as long as it is legal. Doesn't make you less of a hunter if you use them. Too many macho, mountain man, I aint no sissy, hunters out there these days. Just go out and have fun!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesquiteHeat View Post
Not at all. It's the way it's worded. "Even if it was good you would still be ashamed of it.". I only see this coming from the no decoy crowd. Those who do use them seem to be the ones that don't care what other people do.

This is not isolated to turkey hunting or even hunting. Some people just have the need to try and belittle what somebody else does as a way to build themselves up.

There are folks who love to tell anybody who will listen that they only hunt with a bow and they get a real thrill out of telling people that hunting g with a gun isn't real hunting. And guess what? That isn't even good enough for some people. There are those who love to tell anybody who will listen that not only is hunting with a gun for people who don't know how to hunt, they will tell you that hunting with a compound bow isnt real hunting, you have to use a recurve to be a real hunter.

This is all nonsense of course that is spewed by people who aren't content to hunt the way they enjoy hunting. They have to let somebody else know that their way of hunting doesn't measure up to their lofty standards.

My opinion is unchanged. Hunt how you want to as long as it is legal and don't worry about what other people do. I will laugh at the no decoy tough guys while I carry my turkey out of the woods.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 PM

I enjoy threads like this. I generally get a good laugh. A turkey I shoot with or without a decoy is still dead. I can kill them either way and have been for years. No chest beating here. I hunt to kill birds. I don't go out and mess around. Got to have your mind right if you want to tote limits year after year. To each his own. Me personally, I like actually killing birds no matter the style.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrstille View Post
I enjoy threads like this. I generally get a good laugh. A turkey I shoot with or without a decoy is still dead. I can kill them either way and have been for years. No chest beating here. I hunt to kill birds. I don't go out and mess around. Got to have your mind right if you want to tote limits year after year. To each his own. Me personally, I like actually killing birds no matter the style.
Perfectly said!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
I don`t use em. Never had a need to.
This 👆
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM

I have never killed a gobbler using one. I have tried them before.

Now..., I prefer the challenge to "Call'em Close" without any decoys.
You can do it!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEERADICT View Post
So I have turkey hunted a few times but never got into it like I have deer hunting. With that being said, I want to change that this yr. I follow a guy on youtube who has killed a good bit of turkey's but he never uses decoys. The only times I have turkey hunted I have used them every time. How many of y'all hunt without them?
I hunt without them.

I don't like the way it changes the nature of the game when decoys are involved.

"It's far easier than you think to manipulate a nation of naive, self-absorbed sheep..." ~Congressman X