Dial "M" for Murder Creek

olcaptain

Dial “M” for Murder Creek

We have seen and crossed Murder Creek several times over the last two plus years, but we have never been on it. Friends have told me about the falls and shoals but all I knew about it came from Google Images and what I had configured in my own mind’s eye. The name alone pricks a spirit of adventure, suspense and intrigue but why would a 65-year-old man and a dog take off alone to see the falls for themselves? That is like asking why a perfectly good Chipmunk would swim across Crooked Creek in the middle of the day.

fGsN82T.jpg

I call it a “Hankerin’”. We all have a hankerin’ for something and today Max and I hankered to see the falls for ourselves.

It wasn’t planned at all. In fact, the idea for our adventure was conceived at IHOP this morning during breakfast. I simply asked a good friend which way the shoals were from the bridge on the Gray highway. I was told they were upstream and it would not be too far (given my prior experiences) to paddle.

When I got home I ran the plan by Max, loaded the canoe and we drove the 17 miles from the Captain’s Quarters to the Hwy 129 bridge.

mx9gmNi.jpg

GgqMIYl.jpg

I don’t know the story behind the name of the creek but as we paddled the half hour or so upstream to the shoals I knew (much like Dorothy in Oz) that we “weren’t in Kansas anymore.” In fact, as we cruised past the quaint abodes along the way I felt like I was more in Bayou country than Middle Georgia.

IGOCd43.jpg

KlCLDXc.jpg

RMt9LWm.jpg

xTJm26M.jpg

RS2EmoC.jpg

As we glided past these docks I began to experience another type of hankering. Out of nowhere I wanted to swap out my peanut butter crackers for a bowl of dirty rice or at least a sack of Cajun Porkskins.

Soon we were out of earshot of the bridge and I began to listen for moving water. To enhance this process, I turned both hearing aids up to full throttle. It wasn’t long before I heard running water and soon we were at the shoals!!

JZDRbEP.jpg

Was I pleased? The area was all I expected and so much more!! As I gazed upon this little speck of God’s creation I knew the “M” word should be Majestic!

BJ4I8qx.jpg

4cV2rGv.jpg

NwAymBm.jpg

RrsUZHj.jpg

vWvPfzk.jpg

7CruWjg.jpg

Although this stream also flows into Lake Sinclair, the beauty of the area is very much different than our own Crooked Creek. I also knew by looking at the docks that the water level here can fluctuate quite a bit. All in all, our trip today was certainly time well spent.

4Hm9Jak.jpg

UtJujHU.jpg

EJi2L01.jpg

XLlJy7D.jpg

cktTs2p.jpg

We didn’t intend to fish today. We were exploring. But I can assure you that it won’t be too long until we have another hankerin’ to dial “M” for Murder Creek!

8kTHtuJ.jpg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve caught many many fish out of the creek. Bream fishing is always good as is catfish. My father and I use to catch stripers in the summer at the base of the shoals back in the sixties. Still fish Murder creek but up the river a ways. There is a forest service road that comes in at the east side of falls. Party crowd hits it hard on weekends.
Jeff

olcaptain

I’ve caught many many fish out of the creek. Bream fishing is always good as is catfish. My father and I use to catch stripers in the summer at the base of the shoals back in the sixties. Still fish Murder creek but up the river a ways. There is a forest service road that comes in at the east side of falls. Party crowd hits it hard on weekends.
Jeff

Great info and thanks! I don't fish weekends nor do I party so that isn't an issue for me. Would love for you to join me and teach me the ropes sometime!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Great info and thanks! I don't fish weekends nor do I party so that isn't an issue for me. Would love for you to join me and teach me the ropes sometime!

I don’t party either. Fish often and would love to join you sometime. Retired so don’t do nothing much but fish and fool around garden and yard. Live in Eatonton

Dreamer69

Mr. Horace, That is a creek I would love to explore also. I have went up Rooty creek which is right by our house there and it is beautiful there too. Maybe we can all get together this summer and take a run up Murder creek. I need to find a good hole that holds some good small catfish also. I can deal with some bream too.

olcaptain

Mr. Horace, That is a creek I would love to explore also. I have went up Rooty creek which is right by our house there and it is beautiful there too. Maybe we can all get together this summer and take a run up Murder creek. I need to find a good hole that holds some good small catfish also. I can deal with some bream too.

Tuesdays and Fridays are good with me!

olcaptain

I don’t party either. Fish often and would love to join you sometime. Retired so don’t do nothing much but fish and fool around garden and yard. Live in Eatonton

If you'd like to meet up one morning at the Eatonton Huddle House or the Waffle House near the Little River Marina just shoot me a message!

Horace

Beagler

Awesome posts and great
Pictures. I especially like the one of
Max looking at the shoals.? The post and pictures is a reminder to slow down and enjoy Gods creation.

panfish

I was going down there tomorrow to try and fish. But with all the rain this week do you think it's blown out to much to catch any?