Blue Heron on Crooked Creek

olcaptain

Taken from our yard.....
3vaHk32.jpg

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Grew up thinking that was a endangered species.... Found a show on the sportsmans channel where they kill them like geese and eat the breast. They call it Ribeye from the sky! And it looks delicious!
Didn't mean to take your thread off topic as you have a great picture as always. Thanks for posting.

olcaptain

Grew up thinking that was a endangered species.... Found a show on the sportsmans channel where they kill them like geese and eat the breast. They call it Ribeye from the sky! And it looks delicious!
Didn't mean to take your thread off topic as you have a great picture as always. Thanks for posting.

We have tons of them here on Crooked Creek. They drive my little dog Max crazy. But tons of Herons are here for a reason...Food!

six

Looks like the Karate Kid.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

You`re thinking of sandhill cranes, not great blue herons. :)

Nice shot of a "Poor Joe", Horace.

DSGB

Have an uncle that jokingly calls them pterodactyls, because of the noise they make when spooked.

Wanderlust

They are a fish eating machines. I've seen them spear fish to big to eat. Posts are better with a pics,herron with a fish.

Attachments

• HUNT2643.jpg
    HUNT2643.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 918

olcaptain

You`re thinking of sandhill cranes, not great blue herons. :)

Nice shot of a "Poor Joe", Horace.

Nick: Communicating with you is like going back to college. I always learn something new. I'd never heard this....

"Poor Joe" a nickname given to the Great Heron by Ol Florida crackers. You see him almost every time you go fishing in Florida.

Redbow

Saw one fighting a Rat Snake one day years ago the Heron won then swallowed the Snake..

olcaptain

Saw one fighting a Rat Snake one day years ago the Heron won then swallowed the Snake..

I tell my grandsons that we fish because we want to and the Heron fishes because he has to!

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Cool pic. I saw one fly down and get a fat pond duck baby while I was fishing one day. I guess it was really hungry.

Tmpr111

Great thread!

Saw the Sandhill Whooping Cranes headed back north this weekend, it's always a sign spring is a coming! We used to eat em, they're good!

The mtn man

Great thread!

Saw thes Sandhill Whooping Cranes headed back north this weekend, it's always a sign spring is a coming! We used to eat em, they're good!

Sand hill and whooping crane, are 2 separate species, there's only about 300 whooping cranes left in the world. I had the pleasure of watching 2 that took up residence around here for a couple weeks a few years ago in a cow pasture. I think 100 yards was as close as we were allowed to approach them, they were being very closely monitored.

brunofishing

Sand hill and whooping crane, are 2 separate species, there's only about 300 whooping cranes left in the world. I had the pleasure of watching 2 that took up residence around here for a couple weeks a few years ago in a cow pasture. I think 100 yards was as close as we were allowed to approach them, they were being very closely monitored.

Not any more! Some states have a season to hunt them, Got to be carful though they can and will kill your dog!