WMAs or public land nearby cumming ga

hows it goin, im looking for a WMA or any public land to hunt this sunday. i was planning on hunting dawson forest sunday morning but turns out, dawson closes tomorrow, the 19. do yall know another WMA that is within an hour or so of cumming,suwanee thats open this sunday for firearm? thanks

ccutler

Allatoona WMA is the only one I can think of General hunt Oct 24- Dec 4 sign in only. good luck

RangerZ21

from what I understand it goes by the lumpkin county regs, but never been able to 100% prove this... may want to try to contact DNR to confirm dates, regs etc.

this is where it gets confusing. Page 61 on the regs look for Chattahooche National forest. http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/pageflip/

Now, from what I understand, the lower end of Lumpkin County is ran by the US Forest Service (gainsville # 770-297-3000) you can try to get more detailed info from them.

The northern part of the county is (from what I heard, not 100% sure) is managed by different regs.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

CHATTAHOOCHEE
NATIONAL FOREST
DEER Archery: Either Sex: Sept. 10-Oct.
14. Primitive: Either Sex: Oct. 15-21.
Firearms: Buck Only: Oct. 22-28, Oct.
30-Nov. 25, Nov. 27-Dec. 25, Dec. 27-Jan.
1. Either Sex: Oct. 29, Nov. 26, Dec. 26.
BEAR Archery: Sept. 10-Oct. 14. Primitive:
Oct. 15-21. Firearms: Oct. 22-Dec. 4. No
hunting with dogs.
TURKEY Mar. 24-May 15.
SMALL GAME Aug. 15-Feb. 29.
FERAL HOG Aug. 15-Feb. 29. Small game
weapons only. No night hunting during
small game dates and during big game
hunts with big game weapons. Feral hogs
may be hunted with dogs with appropriate
weapons restrictions while training dogs
during dates when training season coincides with small game or turkey season.
SPECIAL REGS No dog training June 1-Aug.
14. Pursuit of bears or feral hogs with dogs
for training purposes may occur only Aug.
1-Sept. 8; Jan. 2-Mar. 19; May 1-24 during
legal daylight hours; other requirements apply (see page 18). Prohibited: Transportation
of any loaded weapon in a motor vehicle.
Possession of alcohol when hunting. Placing, leaving, or depositing and food, bait,
or garbage in a manner likely to attract or
concentrate any wildlife, whether for purposes of hunting or viewing animals. Failure to properly store food or garbage so as to
prevent access by wildlife. NOTE: The Appalachian Trail (AT) is heavily used all year
for camping and hiking. Please be aware
of campers/hikers and use caution when
hunting near the AT or any other trails/
campgrounds. Coyotes may be hunted during open seasons with weapons restrictions
for game species in season. No night hunting. Electronic calls may be used. Coyotes
may be hunted during open seasons with
weapons restrictions for game species in season. No night hunting. Electronic calls
may be used.