A yard green and growing like weeds.

j_seph

Maybe that is because all the green is basically weedsfacepalm:
Our yard is already beyond needing cut. I have seen several dandelions, bookoos to be exact. Lots of clover and all other sorts of weeds more so than grass. It usually has to be cut every single week, waiting every other week can lead to a mess of mounded grass clippings in nice rows if you know what I mean. Is there an economical way to basically start the yard all over and have mostly grass not weeds? This is about an acre total, maybe a little more.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Maybe that is because all the green is basically weedsfacepalm:
Our yard is already beyond needing cut. I have seen several dandelions, bookoos to be exact. Lots of clover and all other sorts of weeds more so than grass. It usually has to be cut every single week, waiting every other week can lead to a mess of mounded grass clippings in nice rows if you know what I mean. Is there an economical way to basically start the yard all over and have mostly grass not weeds? This is about an acre total, maybe a little more.

You need to determine which grass you want to be the survivor.

Selective herbicide is a way to start. It is also a good justification to have an ATV sprayer. You can get rid of lots of stuff that way.
Also a “weed and feed” type product works on some weeds.
Using a preemergent both fall and spring helps greatly. Both of these help you justify having an ATV spreader.

doomtrpr_z71

More than likely your issue is poa annua, it is cheap to control with roundup up if you spray while the turf is dormant. 24d or dicamba will clean up the dandelion. If you are willing to deal with a scorched yard, you could spray roundup and 24d now to clean up the winter weeds if green up is just beginning, the Bermuda will be stunted if the grass is not dormant.

tree cutter 08

I have found its better to just start from scratch. I like fescue pretty good but I overseed in spring and fall. Fertilize around Valentine day, memorial day and labor day. Keep it thick and health and weeds won't be much problem.

j_seph

I have found its better to just start from scratch. I like fescue pretty good but I overseed in spring and fall. Fertilize around Valentine day, memorial day and labor day. Keep it thick and health and weeds won't be much problem.
So by scratch ya mean plow the yard up:D or spray the whole yard:bounce:

Ihunt

2-4d. As long as you don’t have St Augustine

j_seph

Crazy though I had was to burn yard then over seed like crazy?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you like fescue read post 4. He gives good direction there.
If you don’t do the annual seeding you will have bare spots.