TSS, factory loads of Semi Custom!

fountain

1 3/4 is a gracious plenty. 2 oz would be ideal having roughly 91 more pellets, but the 20s only have a 1 5/8 oz load and typically get over 300 in 10" circle at 40.

Gadget

For those that are yelling about long distance shooting, let me give y'all a short history lesson about tss.
When I first joined here is about the time tss first hit the scene. None of those guys were shooting it so they could shoot 80 yards. They did it to drop down to a 20 ga, to be different and for the enjoyment of building and testing loads.
As years rolled by, those guys quit posting and more people began to load has. It's sort of a way to extend Turkey season for most. Again, shooting 80 yards was never a reason.
All that are shooting tss today are working off of a few folks work on developing and testing loads. Almost none of those post here now.

I have been shooting tss for several years now. I wanted to go to it for the simple reason of getting away from the brutal beating my 835 and nitros were giving me. It was a way for me drop recoil and gain better patterns all the while having the hardest hitting load I could get. Yep, I could even fudge on yardage some and still be ok...all the while shooting a 20 ga.
Longbeards weren't out back then. They would have been a great option for the 12 ga, but I still would have went to tss for the fun/challenge of loading. I could load a few shells here and there and think about Turkey hunting all year. It is also enjoyable to load shells and see the pattern after, knowing I had loaded them. The same with killing with shells I loaded
I also loved the looks I got when people asked what gun/load I shot and I told them #9s.

Hey Fountain.....long time, hope your doing well.

Guess it's been about 10yrs since I started developing TSS loads, hard to believe it's been that long already. Still hunting with my 20ga Savage 220, usually either TSS 9s or lead 7 handloads in the barrel these days.

fountain

Hey Rick, glad to see you're still lurking around here. The coming forth of commercial tss has created quite a stir it seems. I haven't been at it as long as you and several others, but I'm not far behind. I'm sure most are shooting loads very similar to what you came up/helped come up with with back them

Swamprat

Swamprat
The fun of turkey hunting is calling them in close. Want to kill them out 70 to 100 yrds might as well use a rifle. Ill stick with my winchester longbeards also.

Yep, can kill them just as dead at 30 yards with a shell that is half the price. I am shooting #5 3" longbeards. No issues and folded one like a lawn chair at 48 yards 2 years ago.

Permitchaser

I re- load rifle ammunition but not shot shells so forgive my stupidity what is TSS. I have an 835, I shoot 3 1\2" federal premiums with a tightwad choke. I've killed them out to 50 paces but I don't make a habit of that. 30 yards is fine