Salt

Wondering if anybody has any luck with salt licks or mineral licks near the coastal counties? I have tried trophy rocks with no luck on the coastal counties, but work great a little farther inland. Wondering if it might be something in the soil or i just had it in the wrong place.

Big7

The Oracle
Brown mineral block or bag is your friend. ;)

They want and need it bad.

Not much good during season BUT it
will establish trails, routine, etc..

Get yourself between the lick and water.

Bang, Flop.

44magpastor

Wondering if anybody has any luck with salt licks or mineral licks near the coastal counties? I have tried trophy rocks with no luck on the coastal counties, but work great a little farther inland. Wondering if it might be something in the soil or i just had it in the wrong place.

You better stop putting that stuff out. You are going to spread CWD, bird flu, and probably start WW3. :bounce:

nmurph

I put three brown blocks yesterday in Bacon Co. I use a sledge hammer to break them up into larger chucks and also make some marble size chunks and powder. I will keep them freshened up throughout the year but usually let them go in November and reestablish them this time of year. I try to find a low spot along a trail where the water will pool when it rains so that they melt into the soil.

Down4Count

I hunt Liberty/Mcintosh co. We have had no luck with mineral sites, tried all types. Even tried the mineral licks for goats, cows ect... So, we stick to corn feeders and food plots.

furtaker

I'm assuming they're talking about the reddish brown trace mineral salt blocks you can get at Tractor Supply or any feed and seed. Deer do love them. I use either the blocks or the bag mineral salt. It probably has very little nutritional value for the deer but it is cheap and one of the best things to get pictures over in the summer.

rosewood

I'm assuming they're talking about the reddish brown trace mineral salt blocks you can get at Tractor Supply or any feed and seed. Deer do love them. I use either the blocks or the bag mineral salt. It probably has very little nutritional value for the deer but it is cheap and one of the best things to get pictures over in the summer.

They work. Got pictures right now of them hitting it. I keep the scattered around the hunting property. (southern zone by the way)

Millpond

Your problem might be soil. Mineral and salt blocks work best in clay soil. See if you can find a location with less sand and more clay content.

KCE

I think you will likely find minimal if any use of mineral sites (salt licks) within 25-50 miles of the coastline. The sodium content of the natural soil is high enough that deer are less attracted to them. Almost all soils more than 25–50 miles from a seacoast are low in sodium. Therefore, in these areas, salt may be just as necessary as calcium and phosphorus to whitetails during the spring and summer. This was noted in a segment of the QDMA Level 1 Deer Steward course I completed last month.

They did mention that for highest use, shoot for roughly 1 mineral lick per 100-200 acres. You will usually see highest use from spring through late summer.

There is another option to consider. Mineral Stumps. Wildlife Biologist Marcus Lashley of the Mississippi State University Deer Lab did a study that had some really interesting results. Here is a link to a youtube video from the MSU Deer Lab where Mr. Lashley talks about mineral stumps. It is something to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E--Pa3t45uU

PappyHoel

Up here in the ne ga mountains they eat it up and dig big holes. I normally find a good old rotten stump and put my mineral salt all over it. I like the deer cane to get it started and then I freshen it with trace or salt blocks. They will come to it right up to gun season and then they stop. They may come by and give it a sniff out of habit.

Buckman18

Up here in the ne ga mountains they eat it up and dig big holes. I normally find a good old rotten stump and put my mineral salt all over it. I like the deer cane to get it started and then I freshen it with trace or salt blocks. They will come to it right up to gun season and then they stop. They may come by and give it a sniff out of habit.

Friendly tip: try baking soda instead of deer cane (look at the main ingredient to deer cane on the back of the pkg - same thing!)

A lot more merchandise for the buck.

Pat Tria

Here's a fabulous mineral recipe that can be blended together in a bucket then mixed in with the ground.

1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts regular stock salt
2 parts trace mineral salt

All ingredients can be purchased from a feed store. It'll make about 150 lbs at a cost of around $55.00

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Here's a fabulous mineral recipe that can be blended together in a bucket then mixed in with the ground.

1 part di-calcium phosphate
2 parts regular stock salt
2 parts trace mineral salt

All ingredients can be purchased from a feed store. It'll make about 150 lbs at a cost of around $55.00

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

Blackston

How bout just plain old salt ?

update! I poured out trace mineral salt, and regular salt, and they have been hammering it. I believe they as of right now like the trace a little better but are coming to both. I tried trophy rock and salt blocks in the past with no luck but this is working.

Blackston

Thanks