20ga vs .410

JHannah92

My daughter just turned 5, and I'm thinking she might be ready to try turkey hunting next season. I'm trying to decide which shotgun to buy for her, I'm thinking a single shot .410. I've also considered a pump 20, it's more versatile and she'd get more use out of it through the years. My main concern is recoil. I have no experience with .410's, or 20ga turkey loads for that matter. Those of you that have shot both, how much lighter is the recoil from the .410 (shooting TSS)? Any thoughts from the experts?

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

410 will kill them dead. Make sure it's close though. Personally I think you may need to give her another year or two before putting a gun in her hand. Maybe try a ground blind with a crossbow? No recoil, deadly and she won't have to concentrate on that small head. My opinion of course and I do not want to persuade you in any way.

Buckman18

My daughter is 10, and she doesn't like a 20 gauge at all. 3 inch #4's from a 410 for her. She shoots a Yildiz side by side with a full choke in one barrel and whatever it's called that between a full and mod in the other.

JHannah92

410 will kill them dead. Make sure it's close though. Personally I think you may need to give her another year or two before putting a gun in her hand. Maybe try a ground blind with a crossbow? No recoil, deadly and she won't have to concentrate on that small head. My opinion of course and I do not want to persuade you in any way.

Yeah, she might not be ready by next season. She's big for her age and pretty solid built, but if she's not there we'll wait another year. Hadn't thought about the crossbow, that's something to think about. Thanks.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Yeah, she might not be ready by next season. She's big for her age and pretty solid built, but if she's not there we'll wait another year. Hadn't thought about the crossbow, that's something to think about. Thanks.

Your welcome. I have a daughter (that will be 18 next month) I put a 410 in her hands at 5. Barrel jumped up popped her in the nose and it was horrible! She killed her first turkey at 10 with a 20ga. I just didn't want the same thing to happen to you.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I started my boy out at 5.
He practiced with cheap shells at the house and we made some tss for him to hunt with.
Main problem we had with 5 yr old and 410, believe it or not, was the trigger.
The trigger pull was so hard that he could take his time and practice out back, but the couple rare golden moments when a bird was in front of him, he couldn't get the shot off before the bead was off bobble head gobbler.
Please be aware of that when 410 shopping, or know a good gun smith.
My boys 9 now and is just now shooting good with his compact 870 20 guage with youth stock. I'm confident if a fat bird presents himself this year ......he's goin down!!!!!!!!
Good luck to you and your daughter!
Remember have fun is most important! Have fun and she'll want to keep goin to the woods with ya!!!

Swamprat

Swamprat
I commend folks for getting kids involved at a young age but some gotta stop and step back and think it over when it comes to guns.

When I was 5 I could shoot a .410 but the test from dad was how long I could tote it. He did not want me to start struggling/whining/complaining after 20 minutes.

Until I graduated for a hour or so with a break at that time while hunting squirrels he let me loose. Dad did not want to tote his gun and mine at the same time.

Times have changed though, I grew up hunting NF land where camp was depending where we hunted 10 minutes to over an hour away. Now lots of folks have leases or their own land and comforts are closer.

Jack Ryan

My daughter just turned 5, and I'm thinking she might be ready to try turkey hunting next season. I'm trying to decide which shotgun to buy for her, I'm thinking a single shot .410. I've also considered a pump 20, it's more versatile and she'd get more use out of it through the years. My main concern is recoil. I have no experience with .410's, or 20ga turkey loads for that matter. Those of you that have shot both, how much lighter is the recoil from the .410 (shooting TSS)? Any thoughts from the experts?

Would YOU hunt turkeys with a 410?

If you didn't hunt with one last year, why not? And why would you expect a 5 year old to use a totally inadequate tool you would NEVER choose to use your self?

Wait until they have grown in to the proper tool for the job rather than setting kids up for failure because of your own issues.

Swamprat

Swamprat

If you didn't hunt with one last year, why not? And why would you expect a 5 year old to use a totally inadequate tool you would NEVER choose to use your self?

Wait until they have grown in to the proper tool for the job rather than setting kids up for failure because of your own issues.

Kinda like asking you to cook me a steak with a Bic lighter.

JHannah92

Huh?

I didn't hunt with a .410 last year. I don't own one. But lots of people use them (grown folks, not just kids) and they kill birds. If my daughter is ready, and a .410 can get her in the woods a couple years sooner than a 20ga, how have I set her up for failure?

Swamprat

Swamprat
He is asking...would you hunt turkeys with a .410. If you say no then why give your 5 year old daughter something to shoot which you are not comfortable using on a turkey.

Another thing to consider....not considering recoil. Could your daughter hold that gun up for 3-5 minutes waiting for the right shot oppurtunity. Probably not.

Like I said before I commend folks for getting their kids involved but this push to have them shooting a animal or a caliber way before they are ready is getting disconcerted.

Reminex

OP stated tss would be preferred ammo. I'll take a .410 with tss over a 12 gauge heavy turkey load from 5 years ago any day of the week.

OP to answer your question, my wife won't shoot a .410 magnum load from a Mossberg because it kicked her bad. She loves the 20 gauge Mossberg though. Same model, same speed/ slightly higher charge weight as .410 load.

Single shot .410 with tss loads do have some recoil. The .410 ss is so light and easy to handle for a little one. 20 gauge pump can be difficult to hold up for more than a minute at a time. Id get a pump 20 and shoot some low recoil 1 1/4 tss loads. Just know some mistakes will be made trying to shoulder and shoot. By the time she's 9 or 10 she will be a pro at it and that gun will be killing gobblers for many years to come. Good luck to both, buddy!

Ben Athens

My son used a crossbow to kill his first turkey when he was 7. If you get a crossbow she can hunt deer too.

deast1988

I got some federal TSS .410 being delivered tmrw, I wouldn't hunt with a .410 last year without access to TSS. But if they pattern I'll fieldtest it this season.

Huntinfool

I definitely wouldn't set her up with a 20 yet. She may be big for her age, but I can just about promise she's not ready to handle that kick.

I'd stick with a .410 or crossbow and some shooting sticks as had been suggested before.

In all honestly, I might give her another couple of years before trying to get her out there. I know it feels like waiting an eternity, but there are plenty of years she'll be going with you. Don't rush her into something she's not ready for.

BTW, a .410 is not a totally inadequate tool for the job. That's a ridiculous statement. I'm getting ready to post my kid's first turkey he killed yesterday. .410 with hevi #7's flipped a two year old backwards. No, of course it's not as good of a killer as a 3.5" TSS 12 gauge. But it is totally sufficient as long as you recognize its limitations and insist the birds come in close.

Latest posts