Trapping hogs

Deerhunter12454

I'm not entirely sure where to post this. I was watching a show where a guy sold live wild hogs to slaughter. Seems like a good way to help alleviate a problem most of us have. Is it possible to sell live wild hogs in Georgia to slaughter? If so what kind of permits would one need to do so?

Deerhunter12454

Looks like they have to be taken straight to a slaughter house and a permit is needed. Site is very vague on where to purchase

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Looks like they have to be taken straight to a slaughter house and a permit is needed. Site is very vague on where to purchase

How about you just go down to our land and kill a ton of them and I'll slaughter them for ya!

Jeff.Cronic

I know a guy who traps hogs. He has the state to come in and test the hogs and the ear tag them. He can then sell them but they cannot be alive when they leave his possession.

Alabama rule

Upon taking or capturing or having in possession any feral swine it shall be unlawful to release said feral swine alive or to transport said live feral swine. All feral swine taken by trap or dogs or otherwise must be killed on site. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful to release any live domestic swine into the wild.

Deerhunter12454

Alabama rule

Upon taking or capturing or having in possession any feral swine it shall be unlawful to release said feral swine alive or to transport said live feral swine. All feral swine taken by trap or dogs or otherwise must be killed on site. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful to release any live domestic swine into the wild.

This isn't Alabama. Alabama was left in the stone ages

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Feral hog transport permits are not quite available yet, Georgia Dept. of Agriculture is finalizing the transport rules. If the rules go through as planned, you will be able to purchase an annual $15 transport license that allows you to transport pigs to licensed slaughter houses, baying pens, and shooting preserves. Prior to transport, you will either need to tag the pigs with official ID or use GA DNR's Game Check app to log each transport. Live pigs cannot be on the road without official ID or an open transport log through the app.

This is all an effort to make sure pigs end up in a legal, terminal facility and never back out on the landscape.

ProAngler

I sure hope this goes through. I think it would really help knock down the hog population if the trappers could make some money selling them. I understand not wanting them to get spread around the state, but it seems like they are already about everywhere anyway.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I sure hope this goes through. I think it would really help knock down the hog population if the trappers could make some money selling them. I understand not wanting them to get spread around the state, but it seems like they are already about everywhere anyway.

Honestly, I don't think it will help since they have always been able to sell pigs. All this does is close loopholes for folks intending to release them. Texas Dept. of Ag really pushed getting feral pigs to market, but the slaughter houses wouldn't take anything less than 40 lbs. Trappers started releasing everything under 40 lbs. to make sure they had a steady supply to sell in the future. When you have a good market for something, where is the incentive to kill the last one in an area or try to reduce the population?

ProAngler

When you have a good market for something, where is the incentive to kill the last one in an area or try to reduce the population?

Greed and competition.

Folks will try and get everyone they can trap if they are getting a good price. I can’t think of one resource that was successfully managed with out official regulation by those who profited from it. Look at what has happened to Ginseng. You would think folks would leave small plants and leave some to keep reproducing, but folks are just to selfish. They would rather take guaranteed profit because I if they don’t there competitors probably will.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
When you have a good market for something, where is the incentive to kill the last one in an area or try to reduce the population?

Greed and competition.

Folks will try and get everyone they can trap if they are getting a good price. I can’t think of one resource that was successfully managed with out official regulation by those who profited from it. Look at what has happened to Ginseng. You would think folks would leave small plants and leave some to keep reproducing, but folks are just to selfish. They would rather take guaranteed profit because I if they don’t there competitors probably will.

I hear what you're saying, but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there with pigs like it is a medicinal herb with an export market. The shooting preserves pay a pretty good price for them, but the hog population has grown despite that. Further, domestic pork is so inexpensive that it will always out compete feral pigs. I've also heard that most slaughter houses won't deal with them because they are hard to handle and disease concerns are much higher.

One of the reasons the pig population has exploded is stocking new areas as a result of their value for hunting. Trying to create a new market and increase value, even if you could do it, will likely backfire. Using your example, if ginseng could spread like pigs and grow in all the habitats pigs live we would likely consider it an invasive and supply would far exceed demand.

Ihunt

Feral hog transport permits are not quite available yet, Georgia Dept. of Agriculture is finalizing the transport rules. If the rules go through as planned, you will be able to purchase an annual $15 transport license that allows you to transport pigs to licensed slaughter houses, baying pens, and shooting preserves. Prior to transport, you will either need to tag the pigs with official ID or use GA DNR's Game Check app to log each transport. Live pigs cannot be on the road without official ID or an open transport log through the app.

This is all an effort to make sure pigs end up in a legal, terminal facility and never back out on the landscape.

Will lifetime license holders be required to buy this license?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Will lifetime license holders be required to buy this license?

Yes, it's a commercial transport permit from the Dept. of Ag and not related to hunting. This does not apply to dead pigs, you won't need a permit to transport them.

JackSprat

Yes, it's a commercial transport permit from the Dept. of Ag and not related to hunting. This does not apply to dead pigs, you won't need a permit to transport them.

I work with a local food bank, and it would love to get the meat from wild hogs. Under current regs, it is virtually impossible for it to do so.

I'm glad to see that in this one microcosm, there is some movement in the regs. that will make this a possibility.

When these regs. become effective, I suggest any one with wold pigs contact a local food bank.

Forest Grump

I hear what you're saying, but the cost/benefit ratio just isn't there with pigs

I've also heard that most slaughter houses won't deal with them because they are hard to handle and disease concerns are much higher.

I can’t imagine why they would want them; in fact, I’m surprised they will even accept them, given their aggression & without a negative brucellosis test. I wouldn’t like to be on the kill floor when somebody brought in a 400# Russian boar they just caught wild. He’s liable to be just a touch ornery & a lot more likely to panic than a farm hog used to people being close to it.