Wooden tee stands

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Here's an old one where we hunt now. They obviously knew it was a good spot back then too. lol. Looks like silt fence curtain was around it. There's a couple more near it, I don't have pics of. Sometimes I find myself staring up in tree's trying to figure out how I'd build one in it. I haven't built one in a tree in 25 yrs. All towers and hang ons now.

Attachments

• 1009160810_HDR.jpg
    1009160810_HDR.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,209

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't hunted in one for years, but I kind of miss them. I've thought about building a couple myself.

I don't have a pic at the moment, but piece of land I bought a few years ago has an old stand about 20' high made from one of those old metal utility poles with the welded steps for climbing, and a metal frame on top with a silt-fence fabric screen around it. Somebody put a lot of work into building it. It's still sturdy, and the guy wires are still tight. It just needs a new piece of plywood on the floor. I've been thinking about fixing it and hunting out of it.

transfixer

Thanks for this thread , brought back a lot of memories, I've got an old photo album somewhere of all the pics we took while hunting in my teens all the way to my late thirties, I'll have to scan a few pics, my dad and I built a lot of wooden stands, most of them ladders, as even back then the timber co didn't want us putting nails into trees, we would occassionaly put one in an old oak or other hardwood tree, I remember one with great big spikes/nails for steps, never thought about how much damage they would do if I fell while climbing them, ouch !

In the last couple years I have stumbled across the remains of a few of those wooden stands that I really had forgotten about, until seeing them again, its amazing how long pressure treated wood will last out in the elements, or even untreated wood for that matter.

baddave

yes - i would no where near be beyond building a wooden stand -- sure is quiet and easy .. i actually try to hunt a different stand from day to day .. like a 3 day hunt climb or sit in about 3-5 different spots .. is it deer season yet?

mmcneil

Triple C, love the shirt! I grew up down the street from his shop. Spent many nights in there shooting with Dan and D D.

Triple C

Triple C, love the shirt! I grew up down the street from his shop. Spent many nights in there shooting with Dan and D D.

Good possibility we shot together. My boys and I spent many a night shooting there. As for the shirt...It's still as good as ever. Went about 10 years without hunting and so glad I didn't throw it away.

JohnK

Yep some how i survived the Baker climbing stand days to..The Good Lord had mercy on me. We have come a long way.:D

Hey, I still use mine for my safety belt. Got two left and one stays in the truck. As I remember it they were used for climbing the tree, I don't think we had safety belts back then. They came off pre hand climber Bakers, pre 1980 so I've had them a while. Good for dragging deer too.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
4946.jpg

4948.jpg

Found this one on Georgia public land, not wooden but I thought it was cool. Helped my dad build a good many wooden stands. One we built on one of our huntin lands that was turned to a subdivision is still in a tree in a front yard

Possum

Banned
Finally uploaded the pictures of me and my son working on our “treehouse” hunting stand. Hope he gets his first deer out of it next season! And hopefully we built it strong enough to last several hunting seasons.

Attachments

• CED09766-3BCB-49E8-BC07-EB37BD0E8155.jpeg
    CED09766-3BCB-49E8-BC07-EB37BD0E8155.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 393
  • 309D270B-02F5-486D-8205-58E825BE53AB.jpeg
    309D270B-02F5-486D-8205-58E825BE53AB.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 5B338976-1DAA-4B47-8D03-7234263C48CE.jpeg
    5B338976-1DAA-4B47-8D03-7234263C48CE.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 1C09A491-E80A-4934-BE6F-EF084EFC6636.jpeg
    1C09A491-E80A-4934-BE6F-EF084EFC6636.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 392

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Sat in a few, into my early teens we still built and used wooden ladder stands. Now those little ones high up in the crotch of the tree are a little before my time. I've seen hundreds, but they were all rotten memories by the time I came along. I did hunt out of a couple. I've got to say: some of them boys had some kahones. Those 40 and 50 footers, no way I could get up in those, I'll admit it outright. Too bad it was before we had a camera phone, back then you wouldn't have thought those old stands would be as interesting a memory. Most of them by now, surely, have been returned to the earth.

Gaswamp

this is the last one I built and hunted out of. Its been retired awhile now. It was 35 feet high. Saw a lot of deer out of it especially the first few years after the timber had been cut and when the planted pines were smaller. The ladder was 20ft and then you have to climb nail spikes and enter the stand through a trap door. the stand base was a metal frame that they use to ship ATV's in.

Attachments

• 100_2205 (450 x 600).jpg
    100_2205 (450 x 600).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_2206 (450 x 600).jpg
    100_2206 (450 x 600).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_2207 (450 x 600).jpg
    100_2207 (450 x 600).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 337

turkeykirk

Great thread and replies. Hauled enough lumber to the woods in the late 60’s-70’s to probably have built a house. You used to be able to stand in the woods in the early Fall before deer season and hear people nailing up tree stands. Great times and memories!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Finally uploaded the pictures of me and my son working on our “treehouse” hunting stand. Hope he gets his first deer out of it next season! And hopefully we built it strong enough to last several hunting seasons.

Cool! That should work out good. And nothing like spending some time with the young ones in the woods!

frankwright

My first one I built around 1980 was between three trees. A friend gave me the front seat out of a VW to use as a seat. I had a rail all the way around it and killed a good many deer out of it.
I never put a roof on it and don't know why because in those days we hunted regardless of the weather.

yellowhammer73

Interesting thread Possum. When I bought my place there were old ladder stands all over the property. I've spent lots of time at each one thinking about the work that went into building these and the reasons they were positioned in a specific place. For posterity's sake, I actually documented each of them back in 2016. My grandson has no idea what it's like to build a wooden stand. My boys and I built plenty. Here's a few pics of the stands on my place that will eventually be reclaimed by nature.
View attachment 925566
View attachment 925567

View attachment 925568
View attachment 925569
View attachment 925570
View attachment 925571
View attachment 925572
View attachment 925573

For any of you guys that remember Dan Quillian's Archery Traditions store in Beechwood shopping center in Athens, here's a shirt I bought from him around 1990 or '91. I still wear it to this day.
View attachment 925574

View attachment 925575

Seeing that shirt just flooded my mind with lost memories. Back in the 80’s (can’t recall the exact year) my dad and I were out at Dans shop introducing me to traditional archery. It was getting late and Dan went to lock the door when Ted Nugent walked in. My dad and I sat there for 3 hours and listened to Dan and Ted trade stories. I was in my early teens if not 12 years old. Incredible.
Thanks Triple C

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Don’t forget the lag bolts if your planning one and it never hurts to carefully dig the date built with a knife or drill in a place the hunter will see because they don’t stay new forever.
My first deer was killed out of a stand that should never have been hunted again. I tore it down by hand as I came down after the shot. It barely held me that last day but I was light and VERY lucky.
Rotten stands ain’t cool if your in it.
This stand had the date carved and I was shocked when I saw it.
My dad asked me if he could hunt it the next day and I said good luck I tore it down for you!!!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Seeing that shirt just flooded my mind with lost memories. Back in the 80’s (can’t recall the exact year) my dad and I were out at Dans shop introducing me to traditional archery. It was getting late and Dan went to lock the door when Ted Nugent walked in. My dad and I sat there for 3 hours and listened to Dan and Ted trade stories. I was in my early teens if not 12 years old. Incredible.
Thanks Triple C

never know what will snatch a memory out of thin air. good stuff

Triple C

Thanks Triple C

You're welcome! Spent so many hours in his store shooting with buddies and my boys and never tired of talking to him. We've got a Canebreak recurve and longbow hunter from his shop. Bet it was a bit jaw-dropping to see brother Ted come walking in the door and hang out with those 2 guys talking archery.

Latest posts