Spin Feeder versus Trough Feeder

Wanting to start supplemental feeding. I have several quality spin feeders. Trying to decide wheter to use the spin feeders and slowly mixing pellets to corn or building trough feeders (and doing the same thing). We have hogs and i understand that I will be feeding them as well. would the spin feeders work adequately? Thanks in advance.

cliff&pam

spin feeders dont work well for protein feed ,moisture ruins pelletts deer wont eatm.Need a well built trough feeder keep feed dry or get ya a good protien feeder.

shdw633

I think it is American Feeder that builds a trough that fits on spinners for about $60. You take off the spinner and attach the three arm trough and the feeder then funnels to each of the three trough arms that the deer feed from. Neat idea and am looking at doing that to my spinners.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I prefer a trough feeder. To me the free feed concept does not pattern a deer to when a feeder goes off so you might actually have deer using it at all times of the day.

Also with a trough it allows all of the deer to feed on it at some time instead of having a dominant deer pushing all of them off while the dominant one guards the feeder. The subordinates will feed on the outskirts but the dominate one will keep them on their toes.

Also to me the concept of feeding protein pellets is for them to eat as much as they want just not what is slung out on a 10 second spin on a timer twice a day. How much are they really benefiting from that.

Plus you can feed protein pellets better, either they get hung up in the spinner or swell up on the ground because of moisture when using a spin type feeder.

The downside to trough feeders is that everything uses them....deer, hogs, squirrels, coons, possums, yotes, birds, etc.

mick3

I built two trough feeders last winter and put them out about february with corn in them. I also spread corn around on the ground to try and get the deer use the the trough. I left them out until september and the deer never ate any of the corn out of the trough but ate all of the corn on the ground. I had trail cameras on all of them and never got the first picture of a deer eating out of it only raccoons. Do you all have any idea why?

Denny2277

Banned
Purina Deer Chow has a moisture proof pellet that works well in spin feeders. I like the spin feeders to help control the amount of feed that is dispenced. They can also help your hog problem with a couple of well place shots at the right time.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I built two trough feeders last winter and put them out about february with corn in them. I also spread corn around on the ground to try and get the deer use the the trough. I left them out until september and the deer never ate any of the corn out of the trough but ate all of the corn on the ground. I had trail cameras on all of them and never got the first picture of a deer eating out of it only raccoons. Do you all have any idea why?

No idea why, generally on mine it would take them a few weeks to get use to and eat out of it. They would eat the corn on the ground scattered around to attract them but after that they were going thru 50 pounds of half protein/half corn in 3-4 days.

Killdee

There are protein pellets that will work in a spin feeder that wont dissolve on the ground from moisture, Purina might make it.?? If you go the trough feeder route how deep are your pockets and how far from your property are you. With hogs on the property I dont know how you could possibly run trough feeders and keep em filled. Mick3 maybe they didnt like the design of the trough or something??. Several guys on here have good luck with em.

tsknmcn

How much does this protein feed run and where can you buy it?

shdw633

killa86

ive been told there is alot to the height of the trough style feeders and the height of the rail. i understand it should be high enough for a deer to put there dead in without bending over to far and the rail needs to be short. i was told they wont eat in something that they cant see out of which makes sense to me if they are low to the ground with a high rail and their field of view is blocked from them they probably will be scared of it

UYD4L

Purina Antler Max Water Shield is the name of the protein pellets that are water resistant/ don't expand. They run between $11-12 for a 50 lb. bag. Depending on how much you buy at once you may be able to get a better deal.

They are definitely more resistant to water than regular protein pellets but they too will expand and/or get mushy if they get too wet.

There are pros and cons to both troughs and spin feeders. I think spin feeders can be used to encourage deer to feed in the day by setting the timer to put out in the day. However, this might really only be a concern during deer season or the months leading up to it. For protein in the off season, the trough will definitely put out more and allow the deer to consume more. You'll probably have a little more waste to rain and critters than you would with a spinner, just cuz there is more feed out at once.

I think the best method is the timed trough. They are very popular in Texas, but I haven't seen them around here. They operate on a timer and can put out a large or little amount of feed, retained in a trough above the ground.

If you have a serious enough hog problem you can always fence your feeders in. A short fence will keep hogs out but allow deer to jump over. Alot of work though.

treehugger49

I am beginning a feeding program this year for the first time. I have a Texas Hunter spincast feeder, and the best advice I've been able to obtain from feed stores and feeder manufacturers seems to be a 50/50 mix of corn (6% protein) and soybeans (46% protein). I'm starting out with 100% corn, and will introduce the soybeans as the deer acclimate to the feeding program. This results in a relatively high-protein diet both tasty and beneficial to the deer.

shdw633

Have any of you guys tried the "Nocturnal Nightmare feeder"? I may start a thread and see.

From the reviews I read it seems coons like to get trapped in them and eat up all the wiring.

Huntervationist

sled trough feeders are relatively easy to build..move about, and work best with protein feeds IMHO