Question for you bow guru's...

TurkeyKiller12

I am very much in the market for a new bow. My current setup is great but slow at least for todays bows. Im currently shooting around 245 fps. Now, my draw weight is 53 lbs and draw length is 28" and I'm shooting a fairly heavy arrow. Goldtip xt 5575 with a 100 gr head. The only reason I want to upgrade is purely to have a faster shooting bow. I'd be thrilled to have a bow that will shoot at or around 300 fps. Is this possible with any bow thats on the market today considering my draw weight and draw length?

mossyoakpro

I'm no expert or guru but I think that is possible....lots of bows out there that should be able to accomplish that.

You will get plenty of response from some guru folks on this subject...

hound dog

There is no doubt you will get the speed out some the new bows. Go shoot as many as you can to see what one you like the best and tell the tech at the shop what you looking to get out of your new bow and they will help. But don't forget to try out a Obsession Bow don't get left behind.

Cole Henry

Im no expert either but 245 fps at only 53 pounds with a heavy hunting arrow seems about right? Correct me if im wrong but im not sure how much faster you would get. I wouldnt think that much more

TurkeyKiller12

Im no expert either but 245 fps at only 53 pounds with a heavy hunting arrow seems about right? Correct me if im wrong but im not sure how much faster you would get. I wouldnt think that much more

I've wondered the same thing. I really am comfortable with my set up and have put off buying a new bow for a long time. I just feel like I could throw my arrow faster than the bow shoots it. lol facepalm:

watermedic

I have a couple of bows that fit that.

PSE DNA

PSE Vendetta DC

PSE Vendetta XS

PSE Prophecy

All of these will put you where you want to be. You may even find that you are able to shoot a few more pounds with them.

BowanaLee

Don't think your gonna get 300 fps at 53 lbs with that weight arrow.
I'm shooting the same poundage with the same arrow with an inch shorter draw length. I'm only about 10-15 fps faster.
Id give ya another 10 fps on the longer draw length but thats about it. I think you'll need to drop the arrow weight and up the poundage a little ?

APPierce0628

Who needs speed??? Pssh... Over rated. I shoot a 390 +/- grain arrow with a 53# 27" bow rated at 308 fps (60 lbs 30 in). Ask the trad guys. Your bow IS smoking fast! :bounce: I think your setup is okay. No need to be a speed demon. Keep it set at a good smooth poundage where you don't need to struggle and can draw with minimal movement. That's how I like it anyway. Just my $.02.

reezenshooter

a quick formula to go by: 2-3 fps for every pound short of 70 and 10fps for every inch short of 30'' ...so shooting 53 pounds your losing between 34 to 51 fps off ibo speed, and add another 20 fps for the 28'' draw...

so somewhere between 54 and 71 fps off ibo rating of a new bow is the speed you would be looking at...hope this helps

SWWTV

The new Obsession Evolution I am a 28" 70lb with a 370 gr. Arrow I am getting 332 fps with that setup you should be close at 53 lbs.

Ackool1234

i would look into the obsession evolution as well. Great bow and super customer service. I think the evolution would put you close to what you looking for. Also with todays new bows we are getting the speed with out a crazy rough draw. So you would likely be able to go up a few pounds and never tell the difference.

Cole Henry

Don't think your gonna get 300 fps at 53 lbs with that weight arrow.
I'm shooting the same poundage with the same arrow with an inch shorter draw length. I'm only about 10-15 fps faster.
Id give ya another 10 fps on the longer draw length but thats about it. I think you'll need to drop the arrow weight and up the poundage a little ?

Yeah I agree

kbuck1

Who needs speed??? Pssh... Over rated. I shoot a 390 +/- grain arrow with a 53# 27" bow rated at 308 fps (60 lbs 30 in). Ask the trad guys. Your bow IS smoking fast! :bounce: I think your setup is okay. No need to be a speed demon. Keep it set at a good smooth poundage where you don't need to struggle and can draw with minimal movement. That's how I like it anyway. Just my $.02.

this. you want shootability. not speed Thats decent speed for your setup

BowBandit91

Depending on how old the bow you have now is I say you increase your draw weight especially with the bows on todays market and there let-off

Munkywrench

Hey, you've got me by about 80 fps. 245 fps is fast and I'm sure millions of deer hav been shot with speeds FAR slower.

ddd-shooter

Forget the speed. Accuracy is what kills. Give me a heavy arrow pushing a sharp broadhead into the vitals and the speed will not matter much at all.
That said, I don't care what anyone says-you will have a hard time getting 300 fps with a moderately heavy arrow with your specs.
You will have to start with a bow that IBOs in the 350's to get there. Better shoot them before you buy; as most are not very hunter friendly.

I have a bowtech destroyer 350 set at 55 lbs 29.5 inch draw 405 grain arrow I'm shooting right at 298fps