is it expensive to clear wooded land for a dirt access road?

outdoorman

I have found some nice wooded hunting land in South Georgia that will need land to be cleared of mostly smaller trees for an easement road the property.
from walking it, I would describe the easement as mostly level to gentle grade . seems like easy enough to avoid any large trees in the path. most along the easement are less than 10 in diameter. actually are most smaller.
I hear the Georgia forestry makes fire breaks but not sure if that would be driveable.
just wanting to get some knowledge and feedback from those with experience in this.
I want the easment (which is label as 30' wide) good enough to drive my truck hauling a trailer or for a car to travel.

Last edited:

outdoorman

how much should it cost locally to hire out someone with a dozer to clear a wooded drive? how much ground can they clear in an hour?

Capt Quirk

How about getting a logging crew in to thin out the trees? They pay you for timber, and will cut the roads for you. You'll be stuck with 6" stumps, but those are manageable. It is your land, right?

outdoorman

How about getting a logging crew in to thin out the trees? They pay you for timber, and will cut the roads for you. You'll be stuck with 6" stumps, but those are manageable. It is your land, right?

I am considering purchase now and the clearing is for an easement access through someone else's land (that is just now under contract)

swamp hunter

I had one of them front mounted chopper machines clear 2 1/2 acres of similar size trees slap down to the ground for $ 2,500.
Took them about 8 hours , or me and the Bride 3 months.
Be prepared to spray Roundup every 6 months for 2 years but you could drive it right away.

Lilly001

I cleared an entry road through 5" and less regrowth along a stream bed for about 300'. I used a 65 hp tractor with a front loader and a heave grade blade. It took about 40 hours total work time. The road grading and fill took the most time.
I had a quote of 2,000.00 for the job but chose to use my own labor and equipment.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have cleared many lanes usable by 4w drive vehicles with a chainsaw and a bush hook.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
30 ft wide by how long?

outdoorman

Better description:
the 'easement' (which was recently surveyed) is clearly flagged length of about 1800 feet through the other parcel of land before it reaches into the parcel I'm pursuing.
It is fairly gentle terrain but does cross a small wet weather stream just before it enters into my parcel. I think
the '30 feet' indicates the side-to-side leeway on the property line that is allowed for the access road.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
For the road to be smooth enough for a car or camper it is going to take some work.

I make the assumption there is a spot on one or both ends of this 600 yard easement that trees could be dragged to and staged for hauling.
Get someone local to take out all trees on the easement. The value of this small quantity of trees may not offset the cost of removing them. You may end up having to pay some.
Then get someone to do grade and put in pipe at the gulley. Remember the stumps, etc. will need to be hauled somewhere.

Then there is several dump truck loads of gravel to consider. I can't give a dollar estimate but it will be thousands IMO

swamp hunter

This....
Start with an ATV Trail and the Pickup, or start with at least a couple Grand..maybe 5..

660griz

Less than 10" diameter trees? You can probably push them over with a bobcat. My neighbor cleared about an acre for me with his bobcat and filled the stump holes.
What will be left is getting rid of the trees, stumps and grading.
Someone may take the trees for pulpwood. Stumps you can burn and some grading can be done with the bobcat. At least get it truck worthy.