cattle

I try to keep all aspects of farming going on...Not too many people do anymore. A lot of people rely on the grocery stores, etc. We all need to do a better job of keeping it going. Without it, we would starve.

rospaw

Neighbor just sold off his yearlings off his 200 plus herd ...... I think he said 1.32 and 1.48 a pound. Not sure if that pays tractor fuel and bailing twine! facepalm:

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I got about 65 Brood Cows. I have tried over the years to replace all of my fence.(I am finally done) I don't have cows out unless a tree falls. If one gets out thru the fence... She Gone.. I do spend sometime with mine but I don't pet them. Nothing wrong with that but, I named them all Benjamin. Lol.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Oh and South Central Livestock in Fitzgerald sells on Mondays and Ashburn on Wednesdays.

Luke0927

Check out Joel Salatin on youtube. This guy has a wealth of knowledge on how to make the cows work for you instead of you work for them. His operation is all grass based.

What I was going to say check out Joe as well. Also Gregg Judy. If you will go on youtube and check out Justin Rhodes channel he has some great footage of Joes and Greggs operations.

It's unconventional when you think of it as how most people run there cows especially here in GA but folks have great success with it.

When my kids get bigger I've thought about doing some cows in paddocks.

Edit. Here is one with Greg

ilbcnu

after alot of pondering and talking to relatives who have raised cattle for generations and the responses here I have decided to put cows on the back burner for now. tell me bout goats. aaaand mama said the farm is alright for weekends during deer season and such but not full time right now.

Luke0927

Goats...My wife has brought home 2. I'm finishing up a small pen for them now. These will probably be more for pets I don't see her milking or working them.

I did have a great uncle mess with some meat goats for a while, I think if you run electric fence or have a quality wire fence you will be OK but they can be tough to contain.

I've been raising goats for years. They are fun, but summertime can be hard on them. We've lost 3 grown does this summer due to worms. The heat and rain creates more worms. These 3 does were 100% boer. Our boer/Nubian cross goats rarely ever get sick. We just built a chicken tractor we are going to move around the property to help sanitize behind the goats. We also lowered the strand of electric fence to let the hogs out from time to time to help with the worm cycle.

***Make sure you have some kind of electric fence. Make sure you start off with boer/kiko/Nubian cross goats. Keep their water clean. They are high maintnence. And, they hate rain.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had goats once. They are easier to get than they are to get rid of. They were even more aggravating than cows, IMO. At least a cow won't climb trees and fences.

joey1919

I had goats once. They are easier to get than they are to get rid of. They were even more aggravating than cows, IMO. At least a cow won't climb trees and fences.

Or on the hood of your truck. Goats may sound tempting but I wouldn't suggest them for the first time farmer.

here are 2 saying to consider. An old man that owned our local feed store always said " a goat gets up in the morning looking for a reason to die". Another is " a sick goat is a dead goat". There's a lot of truth behind both statements. I've raised cows my whole life and goats for 5 or 6 years now. Goats are fun but they are terribly fragile, don't handle a worm load well at all and they are the hardest to contain of all farm animals. Goats cannot be a "weekend" project. You have to put your eyes on them every day, if not several times a day. If a goat gets sick and dehydrated it can be dead in A matter of days or hours. If one gets it's head stuck in the fence or somewhere else there is a fair chance it will stress out and die. They WILL get their heads stuck places. Some sort of shelter is a must. I would strongly advise against it.

If you just want to raise something, buy you 5 feeder cows early in the spring, put them on pasture all summer and sell them come fall.

Or on the hood of your truck. Goats may sound tempting but I wouldn't suggest them for the first time farmer.

here are 2 saying to consider. An old man that owned our local feed store always said " a goat gets up in the morning looking for a reason to die". Another is " a sick goat is a dead goat". There's a lot of truth behind both statements. I've raised cows my whole life and goats for 5 or 6 years now. Goats are fun but they are terribly fragile, don't handle a worm load well at all and they are the hardest to contain of all farm animals. Goats cannot be a "weekend" project. You have to put your eyes on them every day, if not several times a day. If a goat gets sick and dehydrated it can be dead in A matter of days or hours. If one gets it's head stuck in the fence or somewhere else there is a fair chance it will stress out and die. They WILL get their heads stuck places. Some sort of shelter is a must. I would strongly advise against it.

If you just want to raise something, buy you 5 feeder cows early in the spring, put them on pasture all summer and sell them come fall.

I couldn't agree more. I enjoy them, but they are not easy. I would also recommend a Holstein cow.