Residential timber cutters? NW GA

I have about 3 acres and a house with some huge timber, mature pine, hardwood, poplar. I MEAN BIG, 50 year old trees.

I want some of them down, I need some more sunlight in the yard and to help moisture evaporation around the house and to get the woods away from my home.

Are there not any residential cutters that take timber? I dont want to pay to have huge lumber timber cut down. Will guys cut it for free or $50 - $100 per stump?

These trees would put up big numbers on the mill scale.

tree cutter 08

Depends on your local market and if there are any small time loggers left. Those days around here are just about over. I've gave away probably 7k worth of logs this year because the local markets are gone. To give you a idea, they are shipping big white pine and yellow pine timber from my area to Vietnam. Or the are chipping a lot of what is prime saw timber. I would check around to see if you could find a small logger or someone with a band mill wanting logs. Otherwise you will have to pay someone to cut especially if around the house.

rayjay

Priced a 2x4 lately ?

You are probably looking at $300 to $500 per tree. The guy that I used to use said he would come out and cut all day as long has he got $2000 for the day. This was bringing out a big chipper, log truck, track loader, 2 or 3 ground guys, the saw guy and the boss driving the loader. Probably more like $2500+ nowadays.

Priced a 2x4 lately ?

You are probably looking at $300 to $500 per tree. The guy that I used to use said he would come out and cut all day as long has he got $2000 for the day. This was bringing out a big chipper, log truck, track loader, 2 or 3 ground guys, the saw guy and the boss driving the loader. Probably more like $2500+ nowadays.

Looking at or thats what they are willing to pay? I cannot see where they are willing to pay that much if at all.

Plus they dont want to come into the suburbs.

We have a small timber yard over here in Paulding County, they stay pretty busy. Might stop in over there and ask around, if they are still there.

And Ray Jay, Im seeing $ signs if youre telling me what I think youre telling me is what I think youre telling me! HAHA that'd pay for the improvements to the yard too.

Elkbane

Hate to bust your bubble, but I think Ray meant that was what it would COST to get them taken down.

Here's the general value scale for pine, if there was an adequate quantity to attract a logger (doubtful in this case):
- a 14" DBH, 3-log tree (48' to a sawlog top, 7" outside bark), weighs about a ton.
- Average price for sawtimber was $25/ton in GA last quarter. For plylogs, figure $28-$30/ton. For power poles, figure around $45/ton.

If your trees are really big, probably 2 tons maximum per tree, so a maximum value of $50-$60 per tree. But you won't get that for them in small quantities.

Yes, the price of lumber has gone up, but sawmills are socking away the profit, not giving any of the increases back to the landowner. Pine timber prices (standing timber, not boards-lumber) is at a 10 year low right now. Some HW prices are good, but not stellar.

ELkbane

rayjay

Hate to bust your bubble, but I think Ray meant that was what it would COST to get them taken down. .ELkbane

Barry nailed it. The OP will be PAYING $300 to $500 per tree to have them taken down, hauled off and the area cleaned up.

Barry nailed it. The OP will be PAYING $300 to $500 per tree to have them taken down, hauled off and the area cleaned up.

I figured as much, just goofing around.

Last one cut here years ago cost me $700!!!

He had to climb it and rope it to help steer with a truck after he popped the hinge.

UGGGH, more money.