Trophy Radish results ** Updated** (more pics)

pasinthrough

Here is a pic I took over the weekend. This has been my best plot so far. Lots of big tops and roots. I've got purple top turnips as big as grapefruit too! I can't wait for a little cold weather to get here so the deer will get to eating these!

Nothing special either, just a little bit of 19-19-19 and neutral PH. I plant them every year, late August.

PS, that's a size 10 Muck Boot.

Attachments

• IMAG0363.jpg
    IMAG0363.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 2,810
Last edited:

bamaboy

Nice!!!

Killdee

Thats impressive, I need to pull 1 up this weekend and check my growth, wonder if they are fit to eat? Deer are wearing mine out on 1 property and walking past em on the other, sure is pretty though.

Chadx1981

Ya nice radishes! Where did you buy them? Did you include anything else in your plots or were they only trophy radishes?

pasinthrough

Ya nice radishes! Where did you buy them? Did you include anything else in your plots or were they only trophy radishes?

I got them at the local seed store, they were the Daikon type, not the label "trophy" kind. I also added curly leaf mustards and purple top turnips. Some of the mustards are knee high and the turnips are as big as grapefruit. I'll try to take a few more photos next time I'm down.

The deer have been at them hard over this full moon period. I hope they start moving more in the daylight soon...

Chadx1981

Would u recommend planting these in august around middle ga? I waited and planted them in October. I have babies compared to those.

T.P.

Banned
Thats impressive, I need to pull 1 up this weekend and check my growth, wonder if they are fit to eat? Deer are wearing mine out on 1 property and walking past em on the other, sure is pretty though.

Actually the taste reminds me of a watermelon. A pretty good snack while waiting out 'ol mossy horns.

Killdee

Watermelon huh, I might have to pull em ahead of them pesty deer if they taste like that. BTW they are eating the tops in the other plot now. I will plant some next year in August to take advantage of the sub soiling advantages, mine are only 4-5" and finger size, partly from planting later and possibly planted to thick. I watched 11 deer feeding in it last Friday pm and watched through binoculars and could see the radish leaves disappearing. :cheers:

Attachments

• DSC03958 (Large).jpg
    DSC03958 (Large).jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 1,800

pasinthrough

Yep, August is when I put all of mine in. I added triple 13 to the top and I have good soil ph. I got the rain at the right time too, that always helps.:bounce:

miller

Looks good, but are the deer eating them? I've never planted, always been leary if the deer down here would eat them.

pasinthrough

Looks good, but are the deer eating them? I've never planted, always been leary if the deer down here would eat them.

Yes, they are. I will have more pics to post here next week and you'll be able to see the way they are cutting them down.

They have been night feeders the last couple of weeks, but I hope to catch one early tomorrow evening. I got a good wind forecast and a double bull blind to get in. I can't wait!

Core Lokt

You may call me crazy but skin them, cut some up like fries and fry them bad boys. Taste like a sweet french fry. Honest injun.

pasinthrough

I went by this morning and pulled some to photo for y'all to look at. Purple top turnips, Radishes and curly leaf mustard. The water bottle is a 20oz, just to give you something to compare them to. The deer are hitting them hard right now too!

Attachments

• IMAG0391.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 1,572

southernman13

One of my plots the radishes are doin really good and the deer are tearin up the tops/leaves, but I don't have any that have rashes as big as yours. Theyre getting close. But I didn't plant mine until last week of September or may have been first week of October. I planted them in a strip kinda next to buck forage oats, I wanted to plant earlier but was affraid everything would burn up with the drought an heat.