22 or 17 for squirrels?

lastofthebreed

Have hunted for squirrels with both the 17 HMR and 22 LR. The 22 LR with solids is the best squirrel medicine around. I try for nothing but head shots cause eatin them is as good as shootin them.

optimum7

I know this is an old thread but figure and add my 2 cents.
I use a .25 Caliber Benjamin Marauder PCP air rifle, very quite and accurate. from 18 to 45 yards just aim and shoot, beyond that I use the military dot reticle on my scope and can safely take them out to 70 yards on a calm day. Only take head shots, the rifles are so quite that on my best day I have killed 10 squirrels from one location!! You Tube the Rifle, American Made as well.
they are also made in .22 and .177 and those are seriously silent
specially the .177 ( mouse CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored silent ), on all of them the impact of the pellet is louder than the shot!!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use .22 longs in standard velocity in a single shot Winchester. Nice satisfying "whump" can be heard when you make contact.

I have a 17HMR and just use it once in a while for the heck of it. It is a wonderful long range weapon, but expensive to shoot, and only head shots.

Anyone ever checked 17 for splits in the neck area? I have only found them on polymer tip bullets. This before shooting, becomes worse after firing. Went thorough 2 boxes of federal and hornady found some in both. Doesn't seem to affect the shooting.

NCMTNHunter

I prefer a 22 magnum. It's good for squirrels and great when you run across a gang of hogs while squirrel hunting.

jigman29

I am a 22 magnum guy all the way. I use cci solids and have killed squirrels at roughly 100 yards before. Head shots are my preference and no meat is lost. Plus, if I run into a hog while out it's nice to have.

Buckman18

Winchester model 67 22 single shot with iron sights for me. That's a lot of fun and can be quite the challenge!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
My son in law shoots a .17 and i shoot a marlin bolt action .22. The 17 just seems to tear them up too bad compared to my 22. Sorry, i don't know what type of round he shot.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I prefer a 22 magnum. It's good for squirrels and great when you run across a gang of hogs while squirrel hunting.

THIS^^^^^^It's bout time someone mentioned this!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I am a 22 magnum guy all the way. I use cci solids and have killed squirrels at roughly 100 yards before. Head shots are my preference and no meat is lost. Plus, if I run into a hog while out it's nice to have.

EGGSactly!

greg_n_clayton

Since I don't own a scope, anything past 70yds for a squirrel is really hard. Getting old sucks, don't let anyone lie to you ;) That said, the longest shot on a squirrel has been about 60-70 yards. It was in the top of a tall Poplar. Good clean shot, it fell... about half way. Got stuck in the branches on the way down. Beautiful shot though!

I would like to witness a 70 yard head shot on a skwerl with open sights consistently !!

Hillbilly stalker

.22 LR all the way. But I prefer hollow point. I use dogs and Try to make all head shots 30 yards or less.

Lilly001

I love my 10-22 with solids but I use my 77/17 when they get scarce.
The 17HMR is a head shot only deal unless you shoot them just right and then you don't have to clean them.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have always used solids in my 10/22. Now with a much lighter trigger and new stock and scope I'm hoping to put some in the crock pot.

gt40

Attachments

• archangel stock .jpg
    archangel stock .jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    6-3-2017 25 yds. .jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 349

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My father own a processing facility in eatonton back in the seventies and eighties. He shot all the hogs and cows with 22 shorts just to knock them out so we could hang them and bleed them out. A 22 lr would would kill them dead therefore not letting them bleed out. A well placed 22 lr behind the ear or between the eyes of a hog will drop them dead on the spot. So will a 22 mag but I have seen people shoot a hog behind the shoulder with a 22 mag and it isn't as proficient of a shot as one to the head. If you are squirrel hunting choose your weapon wisely. If you are really wanting to shoot just a hog choose your weapon for that.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Scoped 10 22 or my old single shot with iron sights.