Tipping point

TTom

The term Law in science is reserved for theories that have been exhaustively tested and the results have confirmed the theory over a long period of time.

Newton's Laws of Motion being the most commonly known scientific laws.

Although if you know much science, you know that even Laws are subject to review. Quantum Physics has proven much of Newton's laws to be less than settled science, hundreds of years after they were accepted as Law.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Knowledge, independent of the senses.

I think it was Ambush(if it wasn't you Ambush I apologize) that asked me once how I KNEW.

I told him about my being filled with the Holy Spirit when I was about 14. I took a lot away from that experience even though it only lasted a few minutes at most.

As I come to appreciate the legitimacy of A/As reasoning the more time I spend here, I often wonder if this is what separates us.

I honestly don't know what my stance would be today if it were not for that experience. Given the tract my education took, it's highly likely I would be an A/A as my studies were heavily laden with sciences and math.

However, that experience was what I think Gem was speaking of above "knowledge, independent of senses", at least senses in the traditional sense, i.e. taste, touch, smell, etc.

One thing, perhaps the biggest thing, my experience imparted on me (my consciousness) was that Christ is Savior. Of that I was left with no doubt. The best term I can use to describe it is Revelation. It became as concrete to me as the law of gravity.

WaltL1

I think it was Ambush(if it wasn't you Ambush I apologize) that asked me once how I KNEW.

I told him about my being filled with the Holy Spirit when I was about 14. I took a lot away from that experience even though it only lasted a few minutes at most.

As I come to appreciate the legitimacy of A/As reasoning the more time I spend here, I often wonder if this is what separates us.

I honestly don't know what my stance would be today if it were not for that experience. Given the tract my education took, it's highly likely I would be an A/A as my studies were heavily laden with sciences and math.

However, that experience was what I think Gem was speaking of above "knowledge, independent of senses", at least senses in the traditional sense, i.e. taste, touch, smell, etc.

One thing, perhaps the biggest thing, my experience imparted on me (my consciousness) was that Christ is Savior. Of that I was left with no doubt. The best term I can use to describe it is Revelation. It became as concrete to me as the law of gravity.
I often wonder if this is what separates us.
I think that may be exactly right. On a subject with no actual answer (yet or maybe not ever), how we individually process and reason the available information is about all there is. None of that "you hate God" or the often askewed "think you are a God" and all that other nonsense.
Just a difference in reasoning. I really think its that simple.

ambush80

It's a personal experience. No one can tell you that you didn't experience what you experienced but there are alot of other things that people experienced that they are absolutely certain are real. I won't give examples, valid examples none the less, because for some reason they seem to trivialize the conversation. (You know what things I'm talking about).

We can talk about gravity and ALL of us will be in agreement about what it does. What you are taking about isn't like gravity at all.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
It's a personal experience. No one can tell you that you didn't experience what you experienced but there are alot of other things that people experienced that they are absolutely certain are real. I won't give examples, valid examples none the less, because for some reason they seem to trivialize the conversation. (You know what things I'm talking about).

We can talk about gravity and ALL of us will be in agreement about what it does. What you are taking about isn't like gravity at all.

I would absolutely agree with only one caveat. That being: For those who have experienced it, it is just as real.

StriperrHunterr

I think that may be exactly right. On a subject with no actual answer (yet or maybe not ever), how we individually process and reason the available information is about all there is. None of that "you hate God" or the often askewed "think you are a God" and all that other nonsense.
Just a difference in reasoning. I really think its that simple.

Agreed. If we experienced something so powerfully moving that we couldn't argue with it I believe that more of us would believe.

Just like we don't know gravity, but we feel it moving us nonetheless.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
It has taken me a long time to come back this forum history; getting to know the background of people I see posting these days on the Forum fascinates me. Much insight to be had as far as interpreting their present conversations.
Looking back into the origins of my own beliefs and attitudes also interests me.
No, don't go back and reread the long thread. This is a stand-alone post.

This is for the OP. This subject matter also fascinates me...
https://www.britannica.com/topic/epistemology
The reading can get a little bit convoluted, but you can find much easier stuff to study on this subject, once you know what you were looking for.

Respect to all...
... and apologies for the three-year bump.