Corn

Longhorn 16

Can't get the photo to load. I have one plot that the corn is not doing well. It's about two feet high and yellowing a bit.

Amended to soil per the soil test two years ago. I subsoiled and disc the plot to break up the hard pan. Since the subsoiling it does not do as well. Any idea what may be happening.

I also have buckwheat on the plot trying to build up some organic matter.

Longhorn 16

Anyone know what the tall thin plant is above the clover?

Attachments

• IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 702

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Corn doesn't like weed competition. It likes to get all the nutrients and moisture for itself.

For a farmer to raise a crop of corn @150 bushels to the acre, he needs to apply 150 lbs of actual nitrogen to the acre. If he wants 200 bpa, he needs to apply 200 lbs of actual nitrogen to the acre. (Humor me, those are just ruff N numbers)

In two (100 lbs total) 50 lb bags of 19-19-19 fertilizer there is 19 lbs of actual nitrogen. How much and what type of fertilizer did you put down?

Did you spray any herbicides that might have a "carry over"? Cadre being an example where you shouldn't plant corn for 9 months.

Attachments

• Corn.JPG
    Corn.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 698

Longhorn 16

13-13-13 and no herbicide.

Is it possible that the water is leaching to deep into the areas that I subsoiled?

Canuck5

13-13-13 and no herbicide.

Is it possible that the water is leaching to deep into the areas that I subsoiled?

Now many pounds of 13-13-13 did you put down and how big is that plot?

No, what the subsoiling did, was open up the ground, to allow the water to go down, versus being run off somewhere else. Corn will have roots that will go very deep to go after the water. If water is there, the corn will find it.

Subsoiling also makes it much easier for the roots too, go deep, so subsoiling should not be an issue.

Canuck5

The buckwheat is hindering the corn a little, but I think your biggest issue might be a lack of nitrogen. If that plot is 300 feet long and 12 feet wide (3600 sf or .08 acres), then in that small of area you should've used 3 bags of 13-13-13 in that small area. Does that sound about what you used?

Corn is good if you have lots of acreage, but it's not a cheap crop to grow.

Some other things to think about?

Attachments

• Nutrient deficiencies.JPG
    Nutrient deficiencies.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 687

Longhorn 16

75 lbs of 13-13-13. Plot is small and corn is about 10, x 200.

Main goal is to grow something to bush hog later for soil improvement on the surface.

Canuck5

Well, I believe you will still "get corn" on those stalks and the deer won't care what color the leaves are. If you are real curious take another soil sample and send it in now and tell them you want to plant corn. You'll get a more accurate reading, if something is missing.

Just a word of caution that once the corn gets "ready" it won't last long, between the deer and the raccoon's.

It's all trial and error, for us food plot guys ..... plant and learn!

Now, something else to consider, which is something I've been doing is planting a fall crop, that will carry me thru till the following fall. A cereal grain, crimson, arrowleaf and medium red clovers, along with some radishes and a few other things. Gives the does, the protein that they need in the spring.

It's still holding up and still feeding the deer right now and certainly is producing a lot of biomass to help improve the soil a little. Saves me money too.

Attachments

• Big Food Plot 5-26-17.jpg
    Big Food Plot 5-26-17.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 674

Canuck5

This is what that "mix" looked like in September of 2016, before I foolishly worked it up and it went into drought conditions. The medium red clover was all that was left, but still feeding the deer.

But go ahead and take another soil sample. For $10 you'll find out if something is missing.

Attachments

• Big Food Plot, red clover 9-17-16.jpg
    Big Food Plot, red clover 9-17-16.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 674

Canuck5

For reference, I use something similar to the cadillac combo

Attachments

• Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 667

doomtrpr_z71

Its nitrogen deficiency, corn lacking nitrogen turns light green, yellows and then the leaf tips brown in those conditions.

Killdee

I grow a little sweet corn to eat, I plant it with triple 13,side dress it with ammonia nitrate 3 times 12", above the knee, and when it starts tasseling. I walk thru and shake the stalks when it starts silking and pollinating since I have a small garden and corn is wind pollinated rather than insect. I always get full ears this way.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Apply 50-100 lbs. of 34-0-0 by hand so you don't burn the plants. Then after a rain stand back and watch it turn green overnight.

Daddy used to have us do corn that way when I was a kid.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Apply 50-100 lbs. of 34-0-0 by hand so you don't burn the plants. Then after a rain stand back and watch it turn green overnight.

Daddy used to have us do corn that way when I was a kid.

This !

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Can't get the photo to load. I have one plot that the corn is not doing well. It's about two feet high and yellowing a bit.

Amended to soil per the soil test two years ago. I subsoiled and disc the plot to break up the hard pan. Since the subsoiling it does not do as well. Any idea what may be happening.

I also have buckwheat on the plot trying to build up some organic matter.

Have you tried anything yet ? Did it work ?