timber rattler

Hillbilly stalker

Watched a new show last night called "I was prey". Showed a fellow in Georgia that got bit at Black Mountain. He said he studied rattlers when he was young, and kept saying this one was a male timber rattler. He liked too died from it too. I was wondering if any of the snake wranglers on here could say how you could tell a male from a female. And "no" I aint raising his leg and taking a peek.facepalm:

swamp hunter

As far as Cotton Mouths go , your mileage may vary..
The Females are short and slender past the anus. The males are fat all over.
Don't do too much checking personally but that's what I heard thru the years..

Anvil Head

Diff. is more subtle on rattlers than coppers or mocs, but pretty much the same on tail taper. Rather a subjective visual call.
Surely doesn't make much difference once you get bit.
That being said......I usually go by lipstick and eyeshadow, but these days you just can't be sure.

Without probing, tail taper and counting sub caudal scales is the most reliable way. In a nutshell, males have longer and wider tails than females. Also, males get larger, so anything around the 48" mark is almost certainly a male.

Capt Quirk

Without probing, tail taper and counting sub caudal scales is the most reliable way. In a nutshell, males have longer and wider tails than females. Also, males get larger, so anything around the 48" mark is almost certainly a male.

Just be sure to rub their belly when you do this, they love a good belly rub :D

Hillbilly stalker

He did mention it ended up being 56 inches long. He said it was some kind of state record I believe. He had it mounted and keeps it in his living room. It looked a lot darker than any I've been around. He walks on a cane now and says it hurts every day. He was in a huckle berry patch when he got struck.

Anvil Head

Yeah.....I'm gonna probe a big ol' buzz tail. They're kind of like humans in that respect....some just don't take to that kindly. I've always gone by a respectful visual observation, besides how much does it really matter unless you are doing serious herpetology research?