Gander Mountain coming to Albany?

hayseed_theology

I have heard this from a couple people. I have no idea what part of town, but someone said they thought they were already building. Anyone else heard this? I hope it is true.

turtlebug

Don't get too excited. We've shopped at the Ocala GM a few times and never had any complaints.

Well low and behold, I couldn't contain my excitement when the one here in Valdosta opened, along with Academy smack across the street.

I've yet to make any significant purchases there and spend much more time in Academy.

Their prices are laughable. If it ain't on sale, I ain't buying it from GM. Their gun prices are preposterous. $100 to $200 more for the SAME EXACT gun than Academy then basically even the store manager tried to convince me that the quality of guns from GM were much better than what I could get from Academy or anywhere else. He hung up on me when I asked him if he could tell me where Ruger or Smith & Wesson hold their outlet sales so I could get some of those lower quality guns at half the price.

I refuse to even consider the archery section of either place, I will continue to support Jeramie and Stephanie Wallace at Life Outdoors.

Take a day and come to the one here in Valdosta and check out the prices before you get too excited. ;)

hayseed_theology

Don't get too excited. We've shopped at the Ocala GM a few times and never had any complaints.

Well low and behold, I couldn't contain my excitement when the one here in Valdosta opened, along with Academy smack across the street.

I've yet to make any significant purchases there and spend much more time in Academy.

Their prices are laughable. If it ain't on sale, I ain't buying it from GM. Their gun prices are preposterous. $100 to $200 more for the SAME EXACT gun than Academy then basically even the store manager tried to convince me that the quality of guns from GM were much better than what I could get from Academy or anywhere else. He hung up on me when I asked him if he could tell me where Ruger or Smith & Wesson hold their outlet sales so I could get some of those lower quality guns at half the price.

I refuse to even consider the archery section of either place, I will continue to support Jeramie and Stephanie Wallace at Life Outdoors.

Take a day and come to the one here in Valdosta and check out the prices before you get too excited. ;)

I have only been in one in my life, and I wasn't looking too hard at prices. Are they worse than Bass Pro?

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member

I'd love to have an option here in Albany. We got Walmart, Solo Archery and Backwoods Outdoors. Thats it. I'd be ecstatic if a GM came here.

turtlebug

I have only been in one in my life, and I wasn't looking too hard at prices. Are they worse than Bass Pro?

To me, BPS and Cabelas are spot on compared to GM.

I'd love to have an option here in Albany. We got Walmart, Solo Archery and Backwoods Outdoors. Thats it. I'd be ecstatic if a GM came here.

Bubbette is gonna put you on restriction if y'all get a GM. :bounce:

Besides, then you won't have as much reason to visit us. :(

It'll all be for Baron Von Poopiehead. :cry:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I checked the Gander Mountain website. The only future store mentioned is in North Carolina. Also, it shos the Valdosta store as being the only GM store in Georgia. I find it hard to believe that the next store wouldn't be in North Georgia/Atlanta area. It really doesn't make sense to have two stores within 70 miles of each other.

kc65

sources say the engineering has been completed, layout is on..right across from outback steakhouse....the field of flags...

BrotherBadger

I like Gander Mountain(they were founded about 30 miles from my house, back when they were a catalog only company), but i wouldn't buy guns from them(I like to support my LGS when it comes to big purchases). Small stuff like calls, camo and shells? Sure. The prices are competitive and it is cheaper than driving an hour to the closest Cabelas. However, if i had a Cabelas across the street from my local GM, i would spend all my money in Cabelas.

I checked the Gander Mountain website. The only future store mentioned is in North Carolina. Also, it shos the Valdosta store as being the only GM store in Georgia. I find it hard to believe that the next store wouldn't be in North Georgia/Atlanta area. It really doesn't make sense to have two stores within 70 miles of each other.

Depends on where the closest distribution center is. From looking at their map, i'm going to assume they have one in NE Florida(4 stores in that area). If that is the case, it makes sense to slowly build up towards Atlanta, eventually build a DC in Macon/Atlanta/Augusta if they make inroads into the market there. However, it just isn't cost effective to have trucks driving up 350 miles from NE florida to deliver to one store.

At the same time, if the closest one is in Alabama(opening a new store in Tuscaloosa soon, could have a DC in birmingham to supply all the stores in AL), then there is no reason NOT to move into Northern Georgia.

chadeugene

When I lived in Pennsylvania I frequented Gander Mountain. The only good thing I could say about them was that they paid very well for used guns. I sold them an FNP 9 for almost $100 more than I paid for it new at Bass Pro. It got to the point where if I wanted to test out a gun, I'd buy it from Bass Pro, and if I didn't like it I'd sell it to GM for within $25 of what I paid for it.

MudDucker

Staff member
Gander's prices are only reasonable when there is a sale.

I used to buy a LOT of stuff from them in their catalog days, then they sold out Bass Pro.

kc65

well considering we cant even buy a box of cricketts in this town anymore gander mtn. is a godsend around here..backwards outdoors selling 50rd ziplock bags of mexican made 22 lr ammo for 10$, 1.39 beetlespins for 4$ 80$ columbia shirts that can be had at the mall for 45.00..and there is nothing in wally world worth standing in those lines for, nothing.....

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
we got a gander in opelika and that is the most worthless store i have been in. it is another 6 miles to the nearest academy and i just drive to it. i sure hope we get an academy in columbus or phenix city. gander ain't worth the dirt it's built on !

MudDucker

Staff member
The one in Valdosta is okay. I wouldn't think of buying a gun there though.

Well, you aren't with the in crowd. They get a weekly shipment of guns on one certain day a week and on that day, folks line up beginning hours before opening time hoping to get an AR. Again, if it is on sale, it is probably a good price, otherwise, not so much.

whchunter

Gander

I went to the one in Valdosta. Academy is less than 1/2 mile down the same road and the Gander store is way smaller than the Academy. As the old saying goes....could have put the Gander inside the Academy. I didn't see nay good deals except a few items which were on end of season clearance.
If all Ganders are like this I'm not interested.
Would like to see a Cabelas though.