Rutting dates for west Heard county

Keith Karr

I just leased some property in western Heard county between the Texas community and West Point wma.

Would like to hear from folks that hunt this area when the best rutting activity occurs. A neighbor says Thanksgiving to mid-December.

dixiejacket

Heard

I hunt very western area of the county. For the most part, the rut is about December 3 to 10th every year give or take a day or two. Have seen it much later, but never any earlier.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Always after thanksgiving before thinks started getting heated up. Seems like it got later and later over the years and we were on the far west side

PAW-PAW BUCK

I have hunted the western part of Heard for 14 Years now and have seen mature Bucks not yearlings chasing anywhere from 2nd week in November till end of the season. I watched a nice 8 pt run a doe for over a hour last day of the 2014-15.

Gut_Pile

We killed 2 mature bucks (5.5+) on our lease in heard this year. One was on November 5th, chasing a doe, and the other was on January 10th, chasing a doe. I also saw a nice wide 8 point on November 14th chasing a doe but couldn't get a shot.

Once November hits, you just need to be in the woods as much as possible and hope you are in the right spot when the right doe walks by.

Keith Karr

Thanks to all who responded ! I've hunted SW Troup for years and the rut is later.....just wanted experiences from SW Heard hunters.