2016 Oglethorpe County Reports

Arrow3

Time to flip the script to 2016.

Not much going on right now. I've been coon hunting and standing in swamps waiting on ducks that never come.

I did see these ole boys today. All longbeards and all they have to do is Cross the road to be on property I can hunt!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454188930656.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454188930656.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2,701

fredw

Retired Moderator
Heading to the lease tomorrow morning to shoot crows and pull our ladder stands. Some 60 plus percent of the lease will be clear cut (if they haven't started already). Having hunted the lease since the 1986 season I'm sure I'll have some mixed emotions as I leave. We are planning to keep the lease but, with the exception of 60 foot buffers along a creek, our hardwood bottoms and ridges will be gone. We will have to hunt the property a lot differently.

Chestnut

oglethrope co

Man , it was a busy day for traffic on, Goose Pond Road
saturday
had to stop and check the concrete bridge , it was about washed out again . had one truck behind me and one on the other side waiting to cross ??:huh::huh::huh:
leaving was the same, trucks coming and going and atv riders
was a nice day to be out and checking land , now to wash truck and 4 wheeler :whip: :whip:
chestnut

jbird1

Our internal road system is 4WD only at this point. Normally dry creeks have good flow and watch your step on steep inclines as the ground is liable to give way on what is typically sure footing. I'm really hoping for an extended Arctic blast to kill some of the bugs but not getting my hopes up.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Heading to the lease tomorrow morning to shoot crows and pull our ladder stands. Some 60 plus percent of the lease will be clear cut (if they haven't started already). Having hunted the lease since the 1986 season I'm sure I'll have some mixed emotions as I leave. We are planning to keep the lease but, with the exception of 60 foot buffers along a creek, our hardwood bottoms and ridges will be gone. We will have to hunt the property a lot differently.

Busy morning yesterday. Had four set ups for crows. Shot eight crows.

Got our stands out of the woods and now we'll wait for the loggers.

Five of the crows....

Attachments

• IMGP2989 (2) resize.JPG
    IMGP2989 (2) resize.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 2,617

Triple C

Fred...Way to get the year started! Sorry to hear that your property will pretty much all logged after hunting it for 30 years. Lots of memories in your hunting bank.

Pretty boring this time of year at our place. I've got a lot of pulp timber on the ground that the loggers can't get to due to wet conditions. Got bare root chestnuts and sawtooth to plant but don't want to plant til logging is done so just potted them in pots.

Got UGA forestry and wildlife biology students doing the senior project on our place. Put feeders out after the season closed and also have corn on the ground. Student is doing a camera survey. Prolly be some hogs to shoot after survey is finished.

Todd E sent me a text back in late December when the floods came just before new years warning me of flooding conditions with a pic of mailman's jeep washed down a creek. Come to find out he ended up 1/2 mile down my property in the creek. He was a lucky man! Pic of jeep after he was rescued and pic of jeep 2 days later before they pulled it out.
IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

22 hunter

i sure wish they were clear cutting somewhere i was hunting the next 5 years should be great!

Buford_Dawg

Was also down this weekend....

Both my properties are void of turkeys right now, didn't see any in deer season, no sign whatsoever on either club and threw out some corn 2 weeks ago, put out cams and went back this weekend and absolutely no signs of turkey. Have no clue what has happened to them unless the predators have got them.

Where is Goose pond road in OC?

Finally, Triple C, that is a crazy picture of that Jeep. Did it get washed downstream from that creek crossing there on Arnold Caldwell?

Triple C

Both my properties are void of turkeys right now, didn't see any in deer season, no sign whatsoever on either club and threw out some corn 2 weeks ago, put out cams and went back this weekend and absolutely no signs of turkey. Have no clue what has happened to them unless the predators have got them.

Where is Goose pond road in OC?

Finally, Triple C, that is a crazy picture of that Jeep. Did it get washed downstream from that creek crossing there on Arnold Caldwell?

BD...It sure did...with the mailman in it. Todd E text'd me the 1st pic and I assumed the pic was at the ford in the creek. Little did I know that it was bout a half mile down the creek until the next day when a group of guys came to the cabin asking for permission to bring a dozer in to get it out. We went down to the creek after they left and the second pic is what it looked like when we got there.

Be curious to see what others say about the turkey population in the county. Last year was a non-event. We basically had no turkeys which is really strange. This year we seem to have a decent number of turkeys right now.

jbird1

We've got a few small flocks of hens working through but they usually pull a disappearing act once the green up happens...don't have a single longbeard on camera, though.

Arrow3

Me and the pup removed a turkey egg eater from Todd E's property Saturday night.

Buford_Dawg

Nice Rabbit hunt

Well, we made it down yesterday and meet some new friends (Jody Hawk and PYFinally - Chris) and rabbit hunted together on one of my clubs. Started out slow as I picked out a area to let the dogs out that just didn't have any rabbits. We moved over to other side of property (big 3 year old clear cut) and it had some rabbits in it. We ended up with 4 and several others found brush piles to hide in. It was a great day to be in the woods. No pictures as I had to leave rather quickly so picture taking session had to be skipped. We may try one more time before the season is over as we hunted maybe a 5th of the clear cut so I know we still have some bunnies to chase.

frdstang90

I went down Saturday and pulled cameras. I had a lot of deer and virtually no pig pictures so I was happy. I had one six pointer that still had horns as of last week.

Buford_Dawg

Another good rabbit hunt

We tried it again yesterday. Had a blast. I had done a lot of rabbit hunting as a kid with my grandfather up in North Carolina, but hadn't gone in 35+ years until several trips last year. Add a couple of good hunts this year and I really forgot how much fun it was. Listening to those dogs sing sure is exciting.

See http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=865620

Arrow3

Looks like a great rabbit hunt!

frdstang90

I went down Saturday after work to see if they had started cutting timber on our property yet but they had not. I did see 3 turkeys in different areas and my mineral blocks that I put out a month ago were already gone. I am sure glad I stopped at Tractor Supply and bought more to put out on the way down.

Todd E

Pretty sure Og Farm/Feed sells bulk. I see farmers leaving all time with huge white bags full of it. Price…no clue. I do not know of a local farmer selling bulk, though.

Pretty sure Og Farm/Feed sells bulk. I see farmers leaving all time with huge white bags full of it. Price…no clue. I do not know of a local farmer selling bulk, though.

Thank you, i will have to check with them. i just moved to Oglethorpe county and still learning the area

Buford_Dawg

Slow for Turkeys

How are other OC hunters doing with the Turkeys? 2 weekends now and have heard a total of one bird and he gobbled about 7-10 times on roost before he pitched down and then was quiet. We had 5 hunters on one of our clubs this weekend which is abnormally high. Didn't realize we had that many turkey hunters on the club. They heard zero birds on our 850+ acres. On the other club, one bird was heard again on 900+ acres. Have the predators impacted turkeys that much? Just very little sign of them anymore.