Busby The BearCat

Sharps40

Goin with brown. Cylinder was in good shape, no real significant pitting so cleaned it with 400g and left the original bluing down in the roll mark. Hopefully, it will show through somewhat.

In any event, applying the Laurel Mtn Forge very very dry. Rag is so dry you can hardly tell if the acids are transferring to the steel. And, running the damp box at 80% humidity.

So, after the first three hour sit......glorious bronze.

I'm very pleased. And, got my fingers and toes crossed.

8Wrle3q.jpg

kyFvYEX.jpg

TuAkMeT.jpg

Sharps40

Done. Got the last .002" shim between the cylinder and frame too. Not absolutely necessary but worth the fight to get it in there to put that last lil bit of snugging up into the action. I'm happy with the feel and the look.

Stopped the cylinder rusting tonight in a baking soda wash with hot water. Then warmed it and loaded on the 50/50 beeswax/vasoline topper and then some muzzleloader lube while still warm. The cylinder is a touch lighter than the barrel but the engraving shows up well and has a hint of black down in the lines and grooves. I'm pleased that the roll mark was not lost in the rusting process. Not much I can do with the frame but even with its scuffs, it sure looks nice with the brown cylinder and barrel and brown and black walnut grips.

Time to go to the range with a file and a big case of .22s to get it sighted in. I think it would be well sighted at 10 to 15 yards. Plenty for bunnies and squirrels and rolling cans and moving golf balls.

3tSngxy.jpg

nuIkZlK.jpg

ttsl8lt.jpg

YCwHxci.jpg

muZWGkX.jpg

QWklASF.jpg

9k6zErM.jpg

ClvtYzG.jpg

XQQ12Wg.jpg

Last edited:

Sharps40

Missed the warm day to final fire Busby yesterday. So, out today in the fridged morning and all is well. Busby ain't no Olympic Free Pistol but doing quite well and a warmer day and some settling the sight height, he'll be just fine in the woods and fields.

First 5 shots, Federal Champion, 10 yards. Very low, just like I figgered. aiming at the top of the 3 1/8" paster. Final front sight height will have to be filed in, probably somewhere between .18" and .250" tall. But, not a bad first group.

uFG4wrR.jpg

Aiming at the top of the target backer dropped some rounds right into the red, when I wasn't shivering. More practice, but Busby should make a fine Pot Gun for bunnies and squirrels.

qOFzzty.jpg

Finished up by ringing some steel at about 20 yards. 4 out of 6 hits and then I went to the car and held onto the exhaust manifold to warm my fingers. And from there, over to rough zero Chingachgook the 3030.