new boat ???

kickers-N-stickers

I'm looking at getting a new boat. I'm unsure what to get. I don't know if I should save a little more and try and find a 16ft John boat or buy something like a beavertail canoe. The reason I'm leaning towards a canoe is because I hunt by myself 95% of the time. Plus it's easier to hunt out of one. I hunt all types of water big and small. Just looking for someone to give me some input on what the think the pros and cons are of hunting out of a canoe vs boat?

Core Lokt

I don't like canoe's. Not stable enough. I hunted out of a gheenoe for years before getting this wigeon duck boat. Easy for one person or 2, won't sink and can tote a load if needed. I hunt big water mostly and this was my second season hunting with it and absolutely love it!

Rigged for fishing

Hunting mode

kickers-N-stickers

The wegions look like nice boats...my only concern is how are they with lake swells and cross currents and what not. Because I hunt out of a 14ft jon now...and last day of season someone almost sank my boat from their swells...

kickers-N-stickers

And I have been in a gheeneo before..but it was kinda small for my liking with multiple ppl in it

I would lean more towards something suited for big water. You can always figure out the little water but you can never get away with smaller vessel in big water.

I know of a 15/44 gator trax for sale

MudDucker

Staff member
I really like how my Prodigy 17X40 takes the water.

kickers-N-stickers

:whip:Trust me if money wasn't any issue I'd buy a gator Trax or prodigy...but I don't have a lot of cash laying around. So cheaper for now is better

MudDucker

Staff member
I just sold my widgeon. Great boat, tough and filled with flotation, but the seats are a little low for old men.

rnelson5

If you are worried about stability and waves i would not get a canoe

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
If you are worried about stability and waves i would not get a canoe

Yep, plus you need a lot of different boats anyways. Get you a kayak, small water is covered

buzzbaithead57

You could probably get by with a small boat like you are talking about but the last thing you want to happen is for the birds to be on the big water and you are limited to the backwaters and sloughs.

Depending on the type of hunting you are doing, I would have to second the gator trax or prodigy type builds.

Iv got a gator trax 17x54 and it takes on some rough open water just fine with the boat loaded down with 4 guys, gear, and a dog. Drafts little to NO water even with large load compared to the hull being empty. I feel very safe in this boat and you cannot beat that feeling.

That being said, you could probably get by with a 16x44 or something similar and keep it around 10-15 k maybe even less depending on the motor.

If money is a problem (like it is in most cases), I think they offer financing. (if that is something you are in the position to be able to do).

If not, the kayak will get you a lotta places too. My bro-in-law hunts out of kayak and he does just fine.

HookinLips

I will probably have some disagree but I would look around the 15/44 or 15/48 size if you're looking for versatility and a good boat for big and small water. I will probably also get made fun of for this but I have a tracker grizzly 1548 and its big enough to where I have been out in some nasty stuff and have never felt in danger and it is also small enough to manhandle it aka drag in a few inches of water and over logs and stuff. I wouldn't want mine any bigger or any smaller. That's just my $0.02

I have a 15/44. Can carry all the gear and people u want. If you have that many people hunting with you tell them to bring their own boat. I can get anywhere I want in my boat that ducks will be at. If I can't get there by boat I have a pirogue that will get me the rest of the way.

HookinLips

Exactly. I carry myself, 2 other guys, and all our gear and decoys just fine and if for some reason there's more than that which there rarely is then we take two boats. And like I said before I take it in small water and big water and I've never felt like I was in trouble in any situation. To me, it's the ultimate size for a duck hunting boat but some will disagree I'm sure.

I will probably have some disagree but I would look around the 15/44 or 15/48 size if you're looking for versatility and a good boat for big and small water. I will probably also get made fun of for this but I have a tracker grizzly 1548 and its big enough to where I have been out in some nasty stuff and have never felt in danger and it is also small enough to manhandle it aka drag in a few inches of water and over logs and stuff. I wouldn't want mine any bigger or any smaller. That's just my $0.02
I got a tracker Grizzly 17/4 and I beat it to death on salt water oyster beds all the time.

Latest posts