New to area

Luke11

Hello! Retired military type, just bought land up near mineral bluffs and hoping to retire up there in the area for good soon. Will be up doing a lot of hunting and fishing hopefully. So like to hear more about the blue ridge area if anyone wants to share some news!!

MCBUCK

Some of the best flyfishing in the southeast. The Toccoa is a great river, was better a few years ago...the state likes the "put and take" philosophy and doesn't manage it quite as well as they could, but still a great river. Below the dam and above the lake both. Do some research on the "delayed harvest" area. If you want to spend some of your "uncles" money, and catch some really good fish, I would suggest a paid trip to Noontootla Creek Farms...in a word; AWESOME. My son has guided there for several years and in that time I have had the chance to fish it a time or two and it is amazing.
Downtown is nice....very nice. But it can be a bit touristy. Even at that, it is still one of my favorite places to take a day trip with my wife ( we live near Chatsworth ) The downtown is really growing and changing. It was a great little secret for a long time but then a lot of Atlanta found out about it. Lots of cool specialty shops...Blue Ridge Olive Oil, Blue Ridge Fly Fishing, BR OUtfitters etc....Good restaurants...Canterbury Inn, Fighting Town Tavern and more..the best ones are hidden on trackside; you'll find them. :cheers: The tourist are usually mostly all gone by Sunday afternoon and you get it back to yourself.
The hunting is something you would have to talk to someone else about....I used to hunt Rich Mtn WMA every year and it was always decent and Blue Ridge WMA and Coopers Creek are both right down the road too. There's lots of USFS in the area as well. Go to the USFS office

USFS Blue Ridge District
2042 Highway 515 West
Blairsville, GA 30512
706 745-6928

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/conf/recarea/?recid=10520

Pick up some maps there....I love the entire area. I'm a sales rep for a flooring company and this is my territory. And I take every chance I get to go to Blue Ridge, Blairsville and Hiawassee... I'll shoot you a PM with my number and you can call me if you want.
Sgt US Army 1981-1986