Scary survey done by UGA on coyote depravation

Trapper Glatzer

Dr. Karl Miller with the UGA, did a survey in south Georgia on 2 large acre tracks of land. On one track he had trapped and caught 3 bobcat and 23 coyotes, the other tract was not trapped. Findings were what was scary. On the trapped side 2 out of every 3 does had fawns, on the untrapped side only 1 in 28 does had fawns. Conclusion was that you cannot manage deer on your land when the percentage of predators is so high that the deer won't breed from the constant pressure, and unfortunately this is all over Georgia. Choices are limited as well.
1. Either you have to hire a trapper to trap your deer land, or
2. You have to hire a trapper to teach a couple of your members how to trap. Good investment since a lot of clubs have members that belong to the club for years and the investment lessons from a trapper can be discounted over years.
3. Get the club members to have a spring or fall shoot and invite a coyote hunter to bring his calls and knowledge to your property and see how that works.
Don't complain when you go to hire a trapper and his fees seem to be high. He is the one with the investment in licenses, equipment, knowledge, experience, and time. If you have a trapper on your land during deer season, it will not bother the deer hunt. He will just have to wear orange and you will have to get your members to welcome him as he will only make your land better. Don't expect a trapper to trap if the temperature is above 80 degrees, sweating all over his traps is not good scent management.
If I can answer any questions for you about trapping, please send me an email: trappernga@gmail.com
Thanks and good luck with your coyote problem,
Trapper Glatzer

Last edited:

Clipper

I looked for the article at the UGA Deer Lab website but could not find it. Could you please post a link to the article as I would like to read it. Thanks.

HM

That part of Alabama isn't very different from north Georgia, I'm sure that impact is about the same. If not worse now, because that's 10 more years of yotes breeding.

Davexx1

Its not that your deer aren't breeding, its that few of the offspring and some adults aren't surviving the growing number of coyotes.

Contrary to what many believe, coyotes can and do kill healthy adult deer. I have witnessed the scenario several times where multiple coyotes run the deer in tag team fashion, wearing the deer down until near exhaustion, then making the kill.

Fawns and young deer stand no chance of escaping a hungry pack of coyotes. Nobody knows how many fawns they kill every year, but it would surprise me if they pass one up when seen. This hunting season, notice the number of does without fawns vs the ones with fawns. Coyotes have learned to follow the doe around and she will eventually lead them to her fawn. Don't forget the coyotes are out there prowling around and hunting 24 hours a day every day of the year.

Last edited:

transfixer

I know I have seen very few fawns on my trail cams so far this year, but I can't seem to get through to my fellow club members the need to do something about the yotes, I've got more pictures of yotes on my cams than I do fawns ,,

mlandrum

Fellows this truth is not new! Back in the 60's we had plenty of small game to go around but that was because the predators were kept to minimum�� Today our hand are tied by politics☠️. Don't give me "Well the studies reveal??" Junk. limit the predators and we will gain plenty of game of all kind. Nothing new about yotes , "Same O Same O!"

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Coyote bounty is the answer imo. Add a few bucks to license fees to fund it.