Late season questions

Craig19

I've been a long time lurker here but this is my first real post. Let start by thank you for all of the information I've been able to gather. I'm not exactly a novice to bear hunting but it's been several years since I've been out to hunt one. I'm planning a late season trip to North Georgia near habersham county and I'll only be able to get about 5 days at the very end of the season (after the new year). Just looking for some pointers from people who hunt that area as far as places I should avoid when planning my trip. I'll be solo backpack hunting from the ground and don't mind the hike in or out. And any recommendations on a good taxidermist would be greatly appreciated in case I get lucky and score a decent bear for a rug. Thank you again.

twincedargap

Late season is tough as the bear aren't on the feed and moving regular. I hunted hard all late last year and didn't see anything after bow season. They aren't climbing trees late so you lose a key factor that helps in the early season. If you can somehow make a weekend or squeeze in a few days now your odds would improve dramatically.

Killer Kyle

You will not see a bear then. They hardly move then at all. Mostly denned up and sleeping. You may see some deer or hogs, but not bear. Your best bet is near a very low elevation subdivision or trash dump. If you have access to a corn field, that might be an ok bet, but at that time of year, most bears will not move. You would be far, far beyond extremely lucky to see one then.
After October, the bears vanish. You'll need to plan an archery season hunt in order to see some. January is a no-go.

Buckman18

You will not see a bear then. They hardly move then at all. Mostly denned up and sleeping. You may see some deer or hogs, but not bear. Your best bet is near a very low elevation subdivision or trash dump. If you have access to a corn field, that might be an ok bet, but at that time of year, most bears will not move. You would be far, far beyond extremely lucky to see one then.
After October, the bears vanish. You'll need to plan an archery season hunt in order to see some. January is a no-go.

X2. I very very rarely see bears in December. It's happened, but is not common. My rule of thumb is that the bears vanish when the snakes do in early-mid Nov, and become much less prolific about Halloween. If you see one after that you're just lucky.

Craig19

I figured it was a long shot, I own a restaurant and the hurricane didn't do is any favors. Pretty much ruined my entire season tbh. 5 days at the end of the season was the only opprtunity I might have to get up there. Was hoping to actually get a shot on this one with something other than a camera...

Attachments

• 5060.jpg
    5060.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 5061.jpg
    5061.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 131

Killer Kyle

Where is that? Looks like that might be a subdivision type bear. If so, they will remain a little more active in the winter. If the houses are down low, and the trash is available, there might be a chance he'll be getting up and on the move on warmer days.

Craig19

This was last week about 15-20 miles north of Clarksville. Both my parents and aunt have a house in habersham county. This was my aunt's front yard. Came walking through as we were clearing storm debris and oaks that fell on the house. Her property is only about 4 acres but it borders public land. Elevation is appx 2000 ft. I have a feeling that someone in that area is feeding this one... Intentionally or not. Its been tagged twice from what I could see and a few of the neighbors up the road said they are a few around the 5 or so houses up that way. My greatest concern would be quality of meat especially if they have been feeding on trash. I eat everything I shoot except for furbearers and coyotes. I don't typically trophy hunt but this one sure is pretty lol.

ripplerider

I doubt he's been eating much trash. People who live around bears quickly become tired of picking up trash and learn to secure it. He's probably being intentionally fed if he's hanging around pretty regular. I wouldnt worry about the meat's quality.

Craig19

As much as I would love to get back up there sooner it's looking like my only window is still late season....if at all. Been scratching my head for the past couple of days trying to figure out a way to get back up there. I'm just gonna have to play it by ear and see if it happens. If not then it wasn't meant to be. I appreciate all of your help and information.

Latest posts