Perssimon Tree

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
No you do not. The ripe fruit is crack to deer. Within a couple of days of fruit starting to fall every deer in the vicinity will know it and come try to find it. Might be in the dead of night but they will be there

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Dont you have to get a frost for them to be edible?

Some are starting to get ripe around here, and I ate a few the other day.

It was a rite of passage when I was growing up for a boychild to bite into a green one.

Triple C

Most dependable fruit bearer on our property. Pears always seem to get late frost that wipes em out and apples have been difficult to grow for me. Persimmon trees on the other hand seem to produce every year. Here's a favorite that's in the north end of a small plot we're getting ready to plant. It's loaded this year. Deer will be dodging arrows before long to get to it. :bounce:
IMG_4038.jpg

PappyHoel

Some are starting to get ripe around here, and I ate a few the other day.

It was a rite of passage when I was growing up for a boychild to bite into a green one.

Them green ones will make you pucker good :)

Ihunt

I know persimmons grow and grow well in some of the worst dirt on the planet but hear me out.

I have a friend who has a food plot that has a rather large tree in it. As far as he knows, it never had fruit. About 5 years ago he limed his food plot. That tree has produced every year since the lime.

Now, I know one "test" does not prove much but I don't think it would hurt to put some out around your tree and it just may help it.

If I were going to fertilize it I would probably do it in split applications. I'm sure a quick Google search could help but I don't see how a little 10-10-10 could do anything other than help.

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I have tons of persimmons!!! Used to be cows on my lease and they've been gone for awhile. Persimmon trees sprouted all over the place and we are literally covered in them. All of them do not put off fruit every year, but just about all of them have fruit at one tie or another. The big ones (15 to 20 foot) have fruit every year. Sometimes loaded and sometimes a handful, but they bare.

buckspotter

Want to Plant Persimmons

Thanks for the info on this thread - very informative. I have a few natural, wild persimmons on the family farm, but interested in planting more. I am a newbie to planting trees, so where do I start for persimmons? I live in North FL, just below the Ga line. I would love to have them for early deer season, but not likely as bow opens mid October and gun Thanksgiving. Either way, I would liek to have more persimmons for overall deer use and holding deer with more food options on our property. Thanks for any thoughts.