South Ga Creek Stomping Recommendations

Does anyone have any good recommendations for wadable creeks and rivers in south Ga? I am hoping to find some spots within around 60 miles of Thomas county. I'm planning to take my fly rod and am not looking for any certain species. I just want to get outside and sling some bugs.

61BelAir

The Withlacoochee River isn't far at all. I know there is easy access right on HWY 133 in Valdosta even with a boatramp. The river is pretty shallow and there are lots of sandbars. I've never been on the river there....just stopped and looked a couple of times. Sure looks like a good spot to me. Check it out on Google Earth.
There is a main fork of the river that crosses the highway and then another that crosses that I guess is actually a big creek and not truly the river although they join just below the highway. I couldn't find the name for the big creek, but the sign at the bridge there says Withlacoochee River. Anyway the parking lot and ramp are on the fork towards the west.

maker4life

The Ochlocknee is low enough to wade. I've done it plenty of times in the past but I will admit after seeing some of the Gators in there I'd be a little more cautious these days.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
We use to Wade Little River on the cook county Colquitt county line. It has nice sand bars. It used to have everything from Bream to Bass in it.

The alapaha has some good fishing when it’s low, but that would be a bit of a drive. I catch a lot of redbreast and stumpknockers on fly when it’s super low.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Withlacoochee River isn't far at all. I know there is easy access right on HWY 133 in Valdosta even with a boatramp. The river is pretty shallow and there are lots of sandbars. I've never been on the river there....just stopped and looked a couple of times. Sure looks like a good spot to me. Check it out on Google Earth.
There is a main fork of the river that crosses the highway and then another that crosses that I guess is actually a big creek and not truly the river although they join just below the highway. I couldn't find the name for the big creek, but the sign at the bridge there says Withlacoochee River. Anyway the parking lot and ramp are on the fork towards the west.

The northern river, is basically little river, after it changes names to the Withlacoochee, the river to the south is the Withlacoochee. Little river flows generally South West after leaving Reed Bingham lake. There are some fine sand bars along the Little and Withlacoochee, and there are also some deep holes. Like all creeks and rivers both have Gators, some Cottonmouths, and low hanging wasp nest so be careful if you choose this river.

The Ochlocknee has good fishing but hard to use a fly rod here due to heavy foliage and fallen logs. Also lots of snakes and gators here. Fished Little River a lot when I was in college. It is very good to wade when low.