Kansas Waterfowl

deerbuster

I was wondering if anyone has done any hunting in Ksansas in mid December, if you have what was your experiences? A couple buddies and I plan on traveling out there. Please feel free to PM me

hrstille

Kansas is one of the best states to hunt waterfowl. Like Duckbuster said, it's totally weather dependent. You should be able to find some birds in mid December. Either way it's a fun trip. Good luck

Hunted public land North of Manhattan many years ago. Great hunting.

Cole Henry

Im headed to North East Kansas Late December. Trying something new this year hoping for a good hunt we'll see.

deerbuster

We decided to rent a blind in NE AR the last week of December. Hopefully the weather is good and cold

Cole Henry

We decided to rent a blind in NE AR the last week of December. Hopefully the weather is good and cold

Did that two years ago outside of Jonesboro when we had high water everywhere. Still managed to scratch limits everyday but we really had to work for them. This year should be better.

Cole Henry

Probably will do well in the fields for big geese! But by then all the water will likely be locked up and/or most ducks gone.

Yeah I know we will get on the geese but I am really hoping the ducks will be there.. You think that might be too late?

maconbacon

Just to clarify I’m talking about Kansas, don’t know about Ark.

I also just moved out here this summer so I’m by no means an expert. But the friends I’ve talked to that have lived here for awhile say the freezing time is highly variable but usually first time around early December. Can be as early as around now or as late as mid December to late Dec. It may not be frozen in late December but it’s likely it will have frozen and thawed a few times before then and most birds pushed out. If that’s the case may be mostly mallards and divers and Canadas still around.

Either way I’ll still be out hunting :cool:

Another disclaimer, I’m still getting used to seeing reports of 30,000+ birds surveyed on a refuge and it being considered not a high number lol so I’ve got some learnin to do