allatoona white fish 11-10-17

castandblast

hit the lake this morning to try some hybrid action. Caught 7 nice sized hybrids at daylight in the 1st 30 mins or so. Fish were all caught on live bait on a mix of flat lines, planner boards, and down lines off flats and humps fairly shallow. After the sun got up, the bite quit, I mean STOPPED. I continued to mark fish much deeper all morning in numerous locations until lunch and only managed 2 more catfish and a yellow perch. I tried downlines, spoons, and trolling multiple lures with no luck. The perch was a big surprise as I had fished allatoona for 30 years and never knew they were in there.

A side note, the gulls and loons have started to show up, but i did not observe any top water action at all and the birds weren't feeding on shad yet.

Attachments

• perch.jpg
    perch.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:

little rascal

Me Too

The perch was a big surprise as I had fished allatoona for 30 years and never knew they were in there.
I have caught one at Kellogg and somewhat recently, another at Blockhouse.

chriswkbrd

While I've never caught one in Allatoona, I'm not surprised because I catch them in Lake Acworth, which does surprise me. That lake is not very deep, and turns into a hot bath in the summer.

castandblast

That's a good eating size perch there!!!

Yes it was! It was the best fresh water fish I ever ate. The perch better hope I don't learn to figure out how to catch them constantly, I'll have to bring them home to grease more often. I almost always let the hybrids and stripers go unless they get hooked wrong and don't make it.
Seems like by the responses that there are a few in there. I just never fish for pan fish and almost 90% fish for hybrids and stripers and occasionally fish for spots. I guess I had a little help Friday by netting a lot of smaller than normal shad.