Went target shooting and guess what?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Absolutely Amazing! WOW! Great find! Hoepe they are all OK!::;

gadeerwoman

Fawns are among some of the cutest little critters around, but folks, please, stop petting them when you find them in the wild. Many times the doe will NOT take them back under her wing once you have left human scent on them or even in the area right around them, particularly when they are that young. And don't assume their mother has been killed because you don't see her around. Does will leave the fawns except to return a couple times to nurse them when they are still too young to follow her. They aren't orphans 99% of the time...the doe has simply left them so she doesn't draw a preditor to them. She will return to nurse them at intervals.
Look at them from a distance, take a picture if you like, but then back off and leave them be.

Apex Predator

Yep, you may have signed the death warrant. Please don't handle these critters. So many folks take them home mistakingly thinking they have been abandoned.

chase870

Possum Sox
Fawns are among some of the cutest little critters around, but folks, please, stop petting them when you find them in the wild. Many times the doe will NOT take them back under her wing once you have left human scent on them or even in the area right around them, particularly when they are that young. And don't assume their mother has been killed because you don't see her around. Does will leave the fawns except to return a couple times to nurse them when they are still too young to follow her. They aren't orphans 99% of the time...the doe has simply left them so she doesn't draw a preditor to them. She will return to nurse them at intervals.
Look at them from a distance, take a picture if you like, but then back off and leave them be.

X10 the doe is close by, she will take care of them if left alone.

dj50

That's cool. I don't buy that human scent on or nearby a fawn will cause a doe to abandon her fawn.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The doe will not abandon them if there is human scent on them. That is a bunch of malarkey. facepalm:

Killdee

The doe will not abandon them if there is human scent on them. That is a bunch of malarkey. facepalm:

I have seen video of fawns in distress caught in something with the doe near by and folks helped it loose and went right to mama and off they went.

Folks used to tell us the same thing about baby birds when we were kids, mainly to make us leave them alone I think since birds can't smell:bounce:

thc_clubPres

I was lucky enough (by default) to raise one last summer. she showed up 6/24 last year and after several game cam's and no mama showing up for week or so I contacted a couple rescue agencies in mid-georgia and they never followed thru on promise to foster her. so i got a couple bottles and goat milk and we ended up bottle feeding her to health. she'd be waiting at night if we missed a feeding at 10 at night and sleep as close to house as possible. eventually she'd sleep back in the woods and would come to a whistle for feeding when i'd go out.

finally broke her off bottle and last time I saw her she was out back with herd of youngin's her size and she let me pet her one last time Dec 22nd. now if she's in groups I see she runs when they all run. guess I did right

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2052.png
    IMG_2052.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2281.JPG
    IMG_2281.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 164

Big7

The Oracle
Best not to handle them.

Mama won't like human scent.

She might take them back, probably not though.

I see them in the yard, laying down like that in
the sun.

Mama is busy eating up all my flower beds.. :bounce:

I try to stay as far away as I can.