Can a 410 kill a turkey

Theduckhunter13

Now I know if a turkey was at 5 yards that a dose of #4's from a 410 would kill him dead as a hammer but has anyone ever tried this or successfully done it?? Has anyone ever patterned one?? I have a single shot 410 that my grandpa gave me as my first gun when I was 6 for Christmas. He died a few years back and I would love to kill a turkey with it. I know that the bird would have to be inside 20 yards but heck i've killed them closer than that before! So has anyone ever patterned one at 20 or so yards or killed a bird with one?? All info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BASS1FUN

My son was putting 5 pellets in the kill zone @ 25 yards & 19 @ 20 yards, but he has upgraded to a 20 gauge now.

Nitro

Banned
Kenny Morgan (Master Turkey Killer) recounts in his awesome book "Turkey Hunting - A One Man Game" his experience with the .410.

He has killed many hundreds- 5-600 Longbeards with the .410.

I will humbly submit this- there is a big difference in the "average GON Turkey hunter" and Kenny Morgan.

The most important of which is the discipline and ability to wait for only the "perfect" shot opportunity and the skill/patience to let a gobbler enter "never, never land" inside 20 yards....

That would be the only place I would feel comfortable shooting a Gobbler with a pop gun like a .410...

.5 oz of 6s or 7.5s isn't a lot of pellets..

I won't be putting trying to kill one with a .410 on my "to do" list.

curt_jones

My first bird was killed with a 410 when i was 9 years old. He was between 20 and 25 yards and i rolled him but about the time i got up to go look at him, he popped up and took off running. He would go about 20 yards or so and run into something and fall over. This happen 3 or 4 times and finally he just died. so eventually it did kill him

silvestris

Kenny Morgan (Master Turkey Killer) recounts in his awesome book "Turkey Hunting - A One Man Game" his experience with the .410.

He has killed many hundreds- 5-600 Longbeards with the .410.

I will humbly submit this- there is a big difference in the "average GON Turkey hunter" and Kenny Morgan.

Kenny killed several, but not hundreds, with the .410 until it was stolen from his pickup. Most of Kenny's kills were with a Mossberg 500. Kenny had a double barrel .410 with double triggers. He placed a cork between the triggers and gave them both barrels with one pull. He has killed hundreds, I have personally seen many of his kills. If you don't want your turkeys killed, don't send Kenny after them. I haven't seen Kenny since he moved to Texas 5-6 years ago so I don't know what he shoots now. I talk to him a couple of times a month; in fact, I got two e-mails from him today.

A 410 is not a turkey gun... Yes it will kill a turkey if you put enough pellets in the vitals at 20 yards...

Dupree

how many turkeys would you say the "average GON turkey hunter" has killed nitro? I have seen in the last few months where many that are quick to say what works and what doesnt has 0-5 birds under there belt, so there are several on here that frequent the sight, that arent "the average gon turkey hunter"

icdedturkes

I played around with a Stevens SXS F and F last year.. At 20 yards it would place 120 pellets in a ten inch circle with both Remington and Estate 3" 7.5s

Theduckhunter13

Hahaha I'm not saying I'm a Kenny Morgan by any means!! I mean im not a weekend warrior either though! All im thinking is to just have patience (which I need to work on anyways) and wait til a bird gets inside 20 steps. If he only makes it to 30 and then begins to circle or outskirt me then oh well ill just work the next bird. I dont want to just go throwing little amounts of lead everywhere trying to be "cool" and kill one with a 410. Thanks for the info though guys! I will go pattern it sometime this week or weekend and post up some pics to see what yall think! What shot size would ya go with???? Im thinking 4's or 5's

I know of one that hunted some with a .410. He would use it to kill his last bird every year. His was a Parker .410, f,f and I believe they were 28" barrels.

I seen him pattern it, but it was not a circle just a square vital target of a turkey. He used I believe Remington 7.5's, I know it was 7.5's though, but he said he also used 6's. At 20 yards he was constantly putting 15 pellets in the brain and vertabra, but he said he would limit his shots to <15 yards. He would the time I knew him get his 2nd bird and then 3rd when VA increased the limit. He was a patient old guss though.

hawglips

Banned
A 410 is not a turkey gun... Yes it will kill a turkey if you put enough pellets in the vitals at 20 yards...

I would not use a typical .410 with store-bought ammo for a turkey gun, except under rare circumstances.

But I would say that a .410 that will do this at 40 yds with pellets that penetrate better than #4 lead, is a bonafide 35-40 yd turkey gun.

pattern4105-30-09.jpg

dtala

20 yards with 3" #6s...
410-1.jpg

25 yards, dropped and flopped a little. Opening day bird four years ago. 12 inch beard....wing is still vibrating:D
410-1-1.jpg

I got the gun from my dad when I was nine, I'm 59 now. Savage O/U .22lr/.410

troy

Turkeydoghunter

when i was hunting rabbitts with my friends beagle in the fall....the dog flushed turkeys i had a fall tag so when a big hen with a very visible 8.5 beard flew at me i droped it out out the sky it fell into a multa flora rose and a stuck its head up i waxed his butt....my gun and im deadly with it was a old stevens bolt action ...i used 3" rem extra long range.6s...i see no need to hunt turkeys with a 410 any more for me...Ron

Kwaksmoka

I'm on a quest to kill a bird with a .410, i've patterned #6's and got a good enough pattern with them at 20, i'm going to try some 7.5's tomorrow. I found some #4's but I would think I need to go with more pellets than a #4 has! Just choose the right shot and you'll be fine!

jester

Banned
20 yards with 3" #6s...
410-1.jpg

25 yards, dropped and flopped a little. Opening day bird four years ago. 12 inch beard....wing is still vibrating:D
410-1-1.jpg

I got the gun from my dad when I was nine, I'm 59 now. Savage O/U .22lr/.410

troy

Nice Job DTala!

Theduckhunter13

Ok well im going to pattern with 5's, 6's, and 7.5's and see how they do! Im still going to get #1 for the season out of the way with the ol 12 gauge 870 but hopefully it will pattern good enough to use it! Thanks for all of your information and ill keep yall posted on the results!