Lake Varner

j21383

I used to go with a guide on Lake Varner. He no longer guides there. Does anyone know who may guide on Varner. I do not have a trolling motor only boat. I remember doing quite well the times that I went.

gtmcwhorter

You looking to fish for hybrids or largemouth?

Randall

There were four of us that I know of who were guiding for a while and several more that started and didn't last very long at all. None of the other three that were there for any amount of time are guiding anymore as far as I know. I have talked to two of the three recently and know for sure they stopped guiding. I only fished one or two days last year. :banginghe

jmharris23

There were four of us that I know of who were guiding for a while and several more that started and didn't last very long at all. None of the other three that were there for any amount of time are guiding anymore as far as I know. I have talked to two of the three recently and know for sure they stopped guiding. I only fished one or two days last year. :banginghe

What happened Randall? The hybrids or did it get overfished?

Randall

What happened Randall? The hybrids or did it get overfished?

I just started a new business that took off fast, moved to Hiram farther away from the lake and had two more kids for a total of four. Staying gone all the time as a guide wasn't the easiest way to make a living although I was still doing well and staying busy. The others got job promotions at their jobs and/or making money guiding got tough when when the economy went bad and gas prices went up. One of the two days I went fishing last year in March we had a nine pounder and some more good fish. With all the grass carp they added I do think fishing will change and get tougher long term though.

TJBassin

I just started a new business that took off fast, moved to Hiram farther away from the lake and had two more kids for a total of four. Staying gone all the time as a guide wasn't the easiest way to make a living although I was still doing well and staying busy. The others got job promotions at their jobs and/or making money guiding got tough when when the economy went bad and gas prices went up. One of the two days I went fishing last year in March we had a nine pounder and some more good fish. With all the grass carp they added I do think fishing will change and get tougher long term though.
Randall you still got any swimbaits you are selling?

As for as I know the combination for carp and spraying has almost if not completely eliminated the grass that caused Varner to be such an awesome lake for years. I'm sure there's the occasional pig still hanging on but the Glory Day's or over. I haven't been there in a while but I'm sure there are other's who can confirm this.

DAWG1419

As for as I know the combination for carp and spraying has almost if not completely eliminated the grass that caused Varner to be such an awesome lake for years. I'm sure there's the occasional pig still hanging on but the Glory Day's or over. I haven't been there in a while but I'm sure there are other's who can confirm this.

I caught 35lbs last week. It’s just a different pattern