WANTED: Advice and Tips to Using a Trail Cam

Hey folks! I have never used a Trail Cam other than incidentally. While I am a pretty decent hunter, I'm a total novice with Trail Cams and not too proud to admit it (but I can be trained!). I intend to invest in about 8-10 cameras and do this right. Considering the Moultrie M-40. The tract I hunt is about 700 acres and I will add cameras to the network over the next few years. While I'm interested in your thoughts on cameras, that's the easy part. I'm most interested in any sage advice, tips, tricks, cautions, etc. that you old hands may have on actually using the cameras. I appreciated the posts in the "How to hide Trail Cams" thread - good stuff. I'm intentionally asking this as an open ended question so any thoughts you want to share are welcomed. Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Killdee

I like to hang most all my cams on mock and real scrapes this time of year since I’m interested in mature bucks. Scrapes on plot Edges are often real active but woods scrapes usually have more daytime use. I like to hang them 5-6’ high pointed down not in their face and away from the scrape rather than to close. I personally like to put a piece of step flashing over my cams to keep the rain off. I spray paint em well before season.

Killdee

Also security is something to worry about, cams near easy to find stands plots and roadways are easy pickings for lowlife trespassing meth snorting white trash. I’m in a secure area but still python lock most of my cams. Btw the flashing will interfere with any wireless cam. I’ll try plastic or a wood cover when I go back by my new cam. Woops just got a cam text!!!

mattuga

Banned
Cameras

There are so many variables that are heavily dependent on what you want from the camera, how far away you are, trophy hunter or not, etc.

I'm like having 2 cell cameras operating, and 4 regular cameras. If you have service you can keep the cell camera in hot spot or move it if you need to hunt another area. Some people like having one brand and knowing how they work and I understand that but the "extras" vary so widely I prefer to have a few cheap ones and a few nice ones. Buy metal boxes for the nice ones IMO if you are anywhere that they could be taken. I've like my Moultrie and Tasco lower price models and like my Spartan cell camera over the others. The cell phone camera market is going to open up widely soon and I expect to see some changes due to interest from AT&T and Verizon getting that influx of devices on their data plans. The monthly plan on most is crazy with Spartan far outperforming in that category, like way better. I see their being a benefit to going to one camera if there is a solid cell system built with value but there are so many models out. If these camera companies could focus their product selection down to decrease manufacturing costs surely we'd have better products at a lower price. I can't imaging spending more than $100 for a trail camera that doesn't send pictures via cell network.

If you can verify the look of a picture before walking away from a camera it can save you the pain of a bad placement.

six

Watch out for blowing limbs, weeds, moss etc. That will eliminate a lot of false triggers. Also try to avoid setting the camera where it will be facing directly towards the sun at any time during the day.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another simple thing that makes a world of difference, but many folks never figure out: If you're setting it on a trail, face it pointing down the trail instead of perpendicular to it.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Lots of great advice so far.
I like to put them on mock or real scrapes also. I have a couple of scrapes that are used year round. Not as feverish as a hot one right now but they are used all the time. I also like video on the scrape action this time of year but that does eat up batteries.

I always make sure I walk up in front of the cam and let it take a picture. That way I can verify it is working.

First time up take a few test pictures and verify the aim. Nothing like getting the card home and finding out you were too low/high/right/left.

X3 on making sure limbs, grass, etc are not going to set off cam blowing in the wind.

X3 on trying to place the camera facing north if possible.

X3 on having the camera facing down the trail.

I have had great success with Browning Strikeforce cameras.
www.trailcampro.com is a great sight. They offer 2 year warranties on most of the cameras. Can't beat em.

Good luck and share and some pictures but be warned it can be addictive.

N

NantucketShedHunter

Hide them well and mount them at least 10-15' up so the thieves will have to work to steal them.