Working ATV

1gr8bldr

I need another working atv. My current, I use weed wiping on the front, Sprayer on the rear. Removable with large rack/basket underneath for tools. Spreader for seed/fertilizer. Moving deer stands, a hitch for dragging in seed or pulling a trailer, winch and more. 90% for working. I have other ATVs for play/riding. I say these things to explain the pulling load and suspension needs. so far, this Honda Rubicon 500 has done well, but the constant, unfixable, trigger into limp mode has caused me to give up on it. My question...... Auto trans or gears. I was wondering how the auto trans does in regards to working. such as pulling. with my gears, I can control the rpms to speed. The auto does not allow this. wondering if that could be a problem. Anybody working an auto like described. We used a polaris 500 pulling a trailer yesterday moving 14 stands. The sharp turning of this machine in the woods, with trailer behind was a major advantage. Has me considering one for my next work vehicle.... if the auto trans is not a problem under a loaded pull

davidhelmly

I’ve got an 03’ Polaris 700 that has spent its entire life spraying, seeding, fertilizing or pulling a drag and I can’t complain about it at all!! If it ever gets replaced it will be with a Ranger, I’ve used one quite a few times helping others plant and I really like the seating for 2 and the bed comes in very handy carrying way more than an ATV ever could. They both have the belt driven automatic transmission and I have never had a problem with them.

FOLES55

I've got a 2001 4x4 Quadmaster 550 with auto tranny that is worth a its wait in gold!!

I do it all with this machine to include plowing, draging, pulling trees and stands, haul trailers. Sky is the limit really. It's my poor mans tractor, but when she finally goes I'm looking at either a Ranger or Kawasaki Mule with 4 wheel drive. Gonna go with diesel also. Great buddy and hunting partner of mine had the double seater Ranger and it's a tank. Turning radius isn't like an ATV, but that thing is a hoss.

catch22

2 things - if your atv has the option to manual shift, I was told to use that anytime your pulling a load and to also use 4x4. Both help the engine and the transmission

If your looking at getting another machine, I would pick up the phone and call a couple local unbiased small engine repair shops and ask them what brand ATV they see the most and the least. When I did, they said they hardly ever see a Honda. So thats what I bought and haven't for one second thought about owning another brand.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Honda all the way for me.

You have a repairable issue, just have not gotten the right technician yet.

My Rancher has almost 3000 miles on it, is ten + years old and has never had a wrench on it.

Good luck.

BuckNasty83

I've got a 2016 Honda Rubicon just for this kind of stuff plus trail riding. The newer Rubicons have IRS (Independent rear suspension ) so you might not want that. Some like the straight axles /Ranchers etc. Fit work, but I love the IRS. Sure, you can get bigger engines in Kawi and Suziki, but you can't beat the reliability of Honda. You can get power steering as an option as well if that I'd something you prefer. As far as your auto transmission, I'm not sure which year you have, but Honda has a DCT /dual clutch transmission. If your's is auto only, it's not going to want to pull good. The computer wants it to shift before you need it to. It's better to have the option for ES/electric shift/manual shift so you can control gears/torque when pulling.
These newer models also have a fantastic low range and compression braking, not to mention the reliability in their transmissions. I don't like the belt drive machine in Polaris, Kawi, and Suziki etc.

Do your homework and decide what fits you best. But it's going to be like Chevy vs Ford in most cases. A lot of bias fan boys

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
i'll take that pile of junk Honda off your hands if the price is right.

1gr8bldr

i'll take that pile of junk Honda off your hands if the price is right.
I have been through it, over and over. Searched all over the net. Nobody has a fix. I have even tried to figure out how I could make it incapable of triggering limp mode. Some have replaced the ECM, some replaced the transmission, some think they fixed it, until they ride it awhile. It's the 2004 500 honda rubicon. been cussing this thing for over 10 years. Something in the trans relative to the angle sensor, relative to the throttle and speed sensor triggers it. Sometimes the computer reset, reinitialize will work awhile, if you baby it. But rarely for over 15 minutes. I have given up on it after much heart ache. Those who think it can be fixed, wrong. Recently the Honda shop returned a friends after having it for a year, still doing the same. To many sensors. I can fix anything mechanical, but these sensors, from the devil. There is nothing anyone can say to try, that I have not tried

GeorgiaGlockMan

I have an older Polaris ranger 500 that has been rock solid for 13 years (if you don't count a fuel system rebuild due to ethanol fuel).

Also have a rzr xp4 1000 that is hard on drive belts (but it's driven mostly by an 18yr old Motorhead). It's worth it overall.

I'll buy another when either of those give up the ghost.

Put me in the Polaris "fan boy" club.

1gr8bldr

I don't think I want a side by side, unless they manuver in the woods ok? I have never driven one

Doolydawg03

Honda all the way for me.

You have a repairable issue, just have not gotten the right technician yet.

My Rancher has almost 3000 miles on it, is ten + years old and has never had a wrench on it.

Good luck.

I have a 2003 all time 4x4 honda rancher that fires up as soon as you hit the start button everytime that has 4000 miles on it trouble free like yours you cant kill this bike

ALB

2 things - if your atv has the option to manual shift, I was told to use that anytime your pulling a load and to also use 4x4. Both help the engine and the transmission

If your looking at getting another machine, I would pick up the phone and call a couple local unbiased small engine repair shops and ask them what brand ATV they see the most and the least. When I did, they said they hardly ever see a Honda. So thats what I bought and haven't for one second thought about owning another brand.

I knew a guy who worked on ATV's. He refused to work on anything besides Honda and Yamaha period. Said the other ATV's are very cheaply made using cheap machine screws and such. Polaris was the worst. And they were made with throwaway parts. I still drive an 87 Honda that is still very strong. Don't know much about side by sides other than they look and feel big.

1gr8bldr

I knew a guy who worked on ATV's. He refused to work on anything besides Honda and Yamaha period. Said the other ATV's are very cheaply made using cheap machine screws and such. Polaris was the worst. And they were made with throwaway parts. I still drive an 87 Honda that is still very strong. Don't know much about side by sides other than they look and feel big.
Honda Is a tough machine. However, lets use an example. They have been making the Honda crf 230 since 2003 and nothing has changed.... at all, through 2017, nothing. Technology and performance have increased in that time, not as much as say... compound bows, yet, much more power comes from the same size CC's as did back then. They keep selling them because they are known to be extremely tough machines. Now take Polaris for example. They changed most everything every 2 years, with minor changes between. The only way they could compete with Honda is to have performance that Honda did not. Honda became so far behind there for about 10 years. Everyone else had independant suspension, push button 4x4, grease zerks, much more power, etc. Yet Polaris had a hard time competing with Honda even though they far out performed Honda. LOL, I remember my riding group. Everyone had 300 Hondas. We rode every weekend, until I bought the 350 Polaris. Then no one wanted to ride anymore. It so far outperformed the 300's. It had tons of power, waaaay more ground clearance, push button 4x4, great suspension, etc. I bought it back from the guy I sold it to, just last year. Parts last on the Honda because they are not pushed to the limit. Those that don't like to work on Polaris.... I can see this .... slightly. However, I expect part of that is so many changes. The shop manual for Polaris is a total mess of 30 different machines. They do this because much of it overlaps and much does not. I have worked on equal amount of Honda and Polaris. Major and minor repairs. When it comes to selling one, the Honda, whether ATV or dirt bike, will bring more and sell faster. Several models of the Polaris were not so good. The 425, being one of those. Something really interesting, on Craigs list, the 300 honda's are selling or should I say, asking price, is about equal to what they cost new back in their day. Crazy. I paid $3000 for one brand new, kept it 8 years, abused it and sold it for $2800. During that time period, new 4x4 atv jumped over night to $6000, therefore, $2800 sounded good. LOL. Now I'm rambling on like were standing around Woody's camp fire, someone else' turn to talk

riskyb

Always had either Honda or Polaris the new sportsman 570 from Polaris is a beast check it out I love mine

seabear2

how about the Honda Pioneer side by side any reviews.

I picked up a 2017 Honda Pioneer 700 Deluxe(2) a few weeks ago. It is very quiet so you can slip around in the woods if you need to. The power steering is extremely smooth as is the suspension. I am very happy with it. You cant go wrong with a Honda product. I worked the deal between a few dealers and saved close to $1500. Its worth shopping around.